Yesterday I went in to meet with the spine specialist. After sitting alone in my little room for over an hour (I can't really complain, I did love the blissful quiet!), his PA finally came in to see me. Let me just say... He was NOT nice!! He asked a gazillion questions that didn't pertain to me, constantly made me feel like a moron, and actually huffed and puffed with me because I wasn't positioning my feet the correct way during the strength test. Well, when you say feet down, I assume the toes being part of the feet, are to go down as well. Apparently not. The toes should be pointed up to the ceiling. Well, if he would have just said that... Anyway the man frustrated me to the point of tears, looked at me and said,"We'll just schedule you an MRI."
Yeah, let's just do that, except I didn't even see the doctor.
Today I went back for the MRI. Finally a step forward, progress. I start to fill out the paperwork and immediately have a question for the tech. She gives me a sideways glance and says,"Really? Well let's just go take an x-ray and make sure."
So back upstairs to take another x-ray to add to the 5 they already took yesterday. I hear her speaking with the x-ray tech, "Uh huh, there it is, well, well."
I immediately pop my head in the restricted area, "Can I see it? Cool! Can I get a copy of that? My kids would LOVE to see this!"
So want to know what we saw?

Yes people, these would be some X-rays of my skull. And that oh so perfectly pea sized circle, (save your jokes, it's not my brain) would be the BB that my brother's friend shot in my eye when I was a wee lass of 10. (Just one of many reasons I hate the Christmas Story movie, I did get my eye shot out!) And that BB is permanently embedded in the cartilage of my nose. And be it made of metal or lead, it was not in my best interest to be processed through a giant magnetic tube.
So there you have it. I am not any closer to figuring out what the heck is going on with my back. We now have to wait and see if maybe a CAT scan is the way to go. But I can tell you that this was just the thing I needed to interrupt my increasing frustration with this whole process. Because really, this kind of thing only happens to me, and I'm finding it all to be a bit humorous.
They do say that laughter is the best medicine!


13 comments:
Oh, I'm sorry you are going through all this and still haven't found out anything concrete! I did love the x-ray though - that BB is a crazy story and so funny that you have it in an x-ray to show us - WOW. I never mistook it for your brain - BTW - HA! I hope you get this all figured out soon - I know it's not easy being in pain and uncomfortable. See you soon and take care. Kellan
Gotta love that x-ray, what an experience ;) I sure hope you find out somethin' soon, It has to be hard just not knowing what 's going on and what the next step will be.
Oh Man, bummer.
Ha ha - love that you got that on your blog!!
FINALLY! Proof that your fear of putting on mascara is justified!!
That is so crazy Amy - I just had to say that I saw 10 minutes to bedtime on your library list - and LOVE LOVE LOVE that book in this family...we can look at it for 30 minutes...it is so great especially if you are a Rathmann fan and see other book characters scattered around. :)
Did your kids think that was cool?
I got 8 x-rays today of my neck/back. I was going to post about it tomorrow.
Hope you find out what's going on soon. More importantly, hope you feel better soon!
Wow! That's crazy, and the x-ray really is pretty cool. My nephew got a BB gun for Christmas and as his dad was going over safety procedures with him, he (the dad) shot a hole in my mom's ceiling.
I hope they figure out what the problem is. You know- besides a BB lodged in your head.
I had an MRI 2 years ago and they said "good news, WE FOUND A BRAIN"...bad news, there is a hole in it.
I have a tiny hole in my brain (hence my migraines)....but, I never got shot in the head or anything. Although, I am sure at some point that my brother wanted to shoot me in the head with a BB gun!
Wow, those pictures are pretty cool!
omg...the bb incident...hilarious...er...i'm so sorry to hear that it's permanently embedded into your face. wow! that is pretty scary though!
as for your back...i hope that someone figures something out...soon!! could you have a pinched nerve, from too much blogging? just asking because, it happened to me!!!
xoxo...hope you get your back feeling better! it sucks to have a bad back!
Unfortunately, this sort of thing does not only happen to you. This seems to be typical of modern medical care. Mom sends her sympathies, knowing about both back pain and raising four kids - you ought to give her a call. Hate to do this, BUT... you were almost 10 and it was not your brother's "friend". I won't go on because it involved some work on my part regarding visitation restrictions.
Holy cow! You have a BB in your nose? For real? Your kids must think you're just about the coolest thing on two legs!
Post a Comment