Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Hip to be Square

I like to think I'm a pretty cool mom. I read US Weekly religiously to keep up on all celebrity gossip, I know all the "hip" songs, and I'm on average about 8 years younger than all of Alli's friends' moms. That alone is pretty dang cool. I have a great relationship with my daughter and learn new things from her every day. Did you know there is basically a whole new vocabulary than when we were that age?? Here, let me catch you up:


EMO- I had no idea what this term was but Alli was using it to describe certain people and situations at school. I of course did not want to appear like a dumbass in front of my daughter by saying what the heck are you talking about, so I would nod in agreement whenever the term was used. One day I did ask the teenage boy across the street what it meant. It means several things, emotionally challenged, someone who likes to dress in all black or gothlike, or someone who likes to "cut" themselves. Interesting term.

Taser- No, not the gun used by law enforcement and little old ladies. Taser is one of those annoying physical "affections" used by boys to get girls' attention. Much like the "horse eating corn" move still used by my apparently not hip husband on my knee. Or the classic "noogie" move used by bullies. A taser is when someone comes up behind you and grabs both the sides of your stomach, squeezing and tickling you in the process.

Whatev- Apparently there is a short amount of air in the world. Therefore it is important to make sure your save your breath by not saying the final syllable of the word. This is good to know, the kids are obviously aware of the depleted amount of oxygen due to the rainforest being cut down. They are doing their part for the environment by being silent.

OMG- Not Oh my God, or Oh my Gosh, or Oh my Goodness, it is just the letters "O" "M" "G". This might tie into the whole conserving oxygen craze as well. Or it might just be a carry over from the insane amount of texting and instant messaging these kids are doing. I guess the fact that they are actually speaking with their mouths and not with their fingers should be thrilling enough. But if I ever hear "colon close parentheses Birthday" at a party, I might lose it :)

Chilax- This is my favorite. The new wacky compound word. A way of getting your friends to calm down when things aren't going so well. Chill out and relax simply won't do for the next generation.


One day I was out with Alli at the mall, and a somewhat suspect character walked by. Being that I am so up on what these wacky kids are doing I thought I would be silly and said, "OMG, that girl is so EMO!"

Immediately Alli looked around to see if anyone recognized her, a look of fear and panic in her eyes. She turned to me and whispered,"Mom, please never say that again. That was so gay and you were not cool."

I stood there for a moment, hurt, dejected. And then I held my head up high and walked away from my little brat in my Ed Hardy sneakers, True Religion jeans and Prada sunglasses and tossed a "WhatevER!" over my shoulder.

14 comments:

pb&j in a bowl said...

OMG!! That was so funny! My 3yo said "Fo shizzle" the other day. I have NO idea where she got that. It kinda scared me.

Katie said...

LOVE THAT!!! My new fav is Chilax!! Too funny!!

Anonymous said...

I love thrilling my girlfriends with short termed slang, my latest fav:

'fav'
'obvia'
'DILLIGAF'(does it look like I give a f*ck)

Anonymous said...

ok. I am so going to have to use these on my son. Thanks for the info.

Sassy said...

Bella already thinks she is a preteen, so I think I will reserve my brain power and O2 for the next gen of lingo.
In the meantime, Peace Out, cuz that is what us OLD SCHOOL say.

WORD.

Sarah said...

I'm proud to say I knew all of the terms you mentioned. When someone says chilax I get all worked up. Of course, I feel the same when someone tells me to relax. Don't tell me...make it happen. When did EMO come about? And what's wrong with Goth? Or freaky-chic?

Narci D said...

Rob & I both laughed so hard during this entry! Nice Job!

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

I loved that she said you were so gay...that is so hilarious...I am glad SHE is keeping YOU in your place... HAHAHAHAHA

OHmommy said...

Chilax. That is brilliant.

The next generation is so OMG... so cool!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd better bookmark this for future reference. Love your blog! I just found it through Judith Shakes (isn't Courtney amazing?!?!) and will definitely be back for more!

JKMN said...

Those sure beat "Gag me with a spoon". The 80's were so lame. Of course, we could update is for the new generation...GMWAS!

Rachel said...

Holy cow. That is too funny! I heard "chillax" on a show the other night and about died. What on earth is happening to the English language? LOL :-)
Poor you, the great thing... in about 8 years, you'll once again become cool to her :-)
Oh well. Here's to what I have to look forward to.
LOVE the header!!!

suchsimplepleasures said...

Oh yay!! now, i can be an even hipper mom...
btw...since you are so, like omg...up on all the terms...what the heck is a hipster?
feel better, girlie!!

The Daily Stroll said...

I'm sad to say the only one I knew was EMO and Josh had to explain that to me a few months ago! I watch MTV from time to time and I'm still behind! Thanks for keeping me updated on all the new lingo! When I was in high school we had TTFN and LYLAS (TaTa For Now) and (Love Ya Like a Sister) :)

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.