Thursday, January 3, 2008

Can you tell me how to get...

...how to get to Sesame Street?

Sure, you go down to the Houston Museum of Health and Medical Science and it's there inside! I took the little ones today to the Sesame Street Presents: The Body exhibit and it was so fun! We learned all about the body, how it works, and how to take care of it with some of our favorite characters.

The Count helped us count bones and we learned about our insides with the Count's Organ Organ. Ernie taught us how to brush our teeth and wash our hands the right way. Bert taught us what all our body parts are used for. We got physical with Grover, running an obstacle course and getting down at a dance party. Elmo taught us how to dress properly for different weather conditions. We hopped, skipped and jumped with Zoe. Oscar (fittingly) taught us about the digestive cycle, yes there was a demonstration on poop, YUCK! And his Sneeze machine, pretty gross, but very educational for our family in its current condition. We learned about nutrition while shopping in Mr. Hooper's Store and had fun appearing on Guy Smiley's quiz show, "Use your Head". The girls loved it and really learned a lot with all the interactive exhibits.

We took a stroll through the grown-up part of the museum and saw some interesting things there as well. There was a 27 foot long rope to demonstrate how long your intestines actually are, kind of mind boggling when you see it! In the reproductive section I got a dirty look from a mom when I was explaining the display on childbirth. Emma saw it, Emma wanted to know. There is nothing wrong with words like birth canal and vagina.

I think the coolest thing was this:



When you rode the bike, Mr. Skeleton rode right along with you so you could see what your bones would look like doing it. The girls thought it was pretty silly.

I had never been to this particular museum and was really glad we finally went. If the Sesame Street exhibit is traveling near you, I highly suggest you go check it out!

Click to play Sesame+Street:+The+Body
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a slideshow - it's easy!

6 comments:

OHmommy said...

Sounds like something my kids would love. They are always asking me body questions. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

That is just too cool!!!
If only it wouldn't take us 3 or 4 hours to get there. :-)
What a wonderful event! Hopefully it will come to the CCMOSH. :-)

Katie said...

How fun is that!?! That's awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Wait one minute. If I used those terms/words (i.e "birth canal"), you would give me a dirty look, maybe even a right cross! I'm guessing your point would context???????

Didi said...

Very cool!

Dawn said...

The girls look like they had lots of fun! Good job, Mommy! :)

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.