I avoid the store so much I have perfected the art of feeding my family for weeks on a can of Pam, a jar of grape jelly, some string cheese, and cookie dough. But once the Poptarts and Capri Sun are depleted, we have a problem. And in order to save my eardrums and my sanity, it was critical that a trip to the H-E-B be attempted. Oh yeah, and it had to be on a day when Krazy K was not at school.
We got to the store and one of the many coveted "Customer with Child" parking spots was available. Halleju- What the hell?? This man zipped right in front of me in his little BMW and stole my spot. He jumped out and ran inside. Alone. Perhaps he has 9 brats at home and felt he was entitled to park there as well. But I'm thinking the sign implies you should have a child WITH you. I circled around the parking lot, ended up parking at the end of the row, which, with the cold and the rain, a bad back, and a heavy toddler, was not giving me warm fuzzy feelings. As we walked by Mr. Better than Thou's car, I noticed the magnetic sign on the door. He was a realtor and there was his cell phone number. So I might have called it and left him a choice word. Or two. Or three.
We go inside and there she was... Over Achiever Mom. I see her everywhere, at Kathryn's preschool, at the elementary school, at Target, I wonder if she's stalking me? Unfortunately our shopping patterns were forcing us to continually meet in the middle of each aisle, after aisle after aisle. Of course her basket was loaded up with fruit and veggies, Pashi bars, bottled water, organic this and that. BLECH! I had a whole lot of powdered donuts, Poptarts, soda, Dora fruit snacks and Cheez-its. We politely said hello and continued on with our shopping, but every time she walked by me, she would try and hide a giggle.
I started to get a little steamed. So what if I was looking less than stellar? So what if I was wearing ratty jeans and an oversized sweat shirt? So what if my child had green and orange marker all over her face and 5 different colored barrettes in her hair? I'm still 10 years younger and 20 pounds lighter and I wasn't laughing at her in her grey Hanes sweatsuit.
Finally we met again in the pasta aisle. She reached for the Organic Annies whole wheat pasta with Alfredo Sauce. Which we have tried in our house. And then the kids declared mutiny, hung me over the balcony and threatened to sacrifice me to the processed cheese powder god. I barely survived, and from that day on, I have been forced to buy Kraft SpongeBob macaroni. Over Achiever Mom looked at me again and just started giggling. I was done.
I'm sorry, Over Achiever Mom, is there something funny you'd like to share with me?
Oh, I don't mean to laugh, but it's just so cute.
What?
Your hair.
My what?
Your hair, your barrettes, the two of you just look so cute!
Oh hell. Seems in my haste to get the store over with I had forgotten that while I was
Which I'm planning. Because I'm still the room mom.
In every battle one must have a secret weapon. I'm thinking I'll wear some heart shaped barrettes.


32 comments:
I have heard those moms referred to as 'Muffia' and I find it dead on accurate. Even on your worst day eating canned cheese on triscuts with rainbow headbands and all, at least you have the social decency not to laugh at others in the grocery.
I cut bangs over the Christmas break...I guess I needed a new look to my pony tail, so now I am constantly bothered by my hair touching my forehead! I can always find one of the girls' clips to put in to get them out of my eyes. Just yesterday I left the house with one in my hair! I talked to a neighbor and the bus driver...no body said anything!!!
I'm so glad that someone hates the grocery store as much as I do and buys the same things I do! Can we start our own club?? lol This made my day!
Posts like this make me very scared of Kindergarten.
That lady sounds like a b***h!! How rude! Whatever, like you said you're the room Mom and younger!! ;)
I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one that hates going to the grocery store! I'm so bad that today I actually had to pull one of Jonah's diapers off his stuffed animals to put on him because we were completely out! (it was clean!) Then of course he proceeds to dirty his diaper right before we left for school and I told the teachers he did it in the car!!! Am I Bad Mom of the Year?!?! :)
Geez... how funny is that?
I was giggling at every word you wrote cuz it sounded just like me. "When your Capri Sun are depleted..." LOL and your cart full of the same things I fill mine with. Thanks for the giggles and sorry about your hair!
I love you. Have a good weekend.
What a great post - so funny!!!! I loved it! ANd, you must live in Texas - do you live in TExas? How did I miss that? If you shop at HEB - you have to live in TExas - we TExas girls need to stick together. I hate to grocery shop and I particularly hate that where I live in TExas - this is only HEB! Take care and thanks for the laughs - Kellan
Next time, you should wear your tutu, just to really give her a sugar rush.
Oh, Amy, you are one funny chicka.
I saw these napkins you could buy her....it said "Avoid natural foods. At your age, you need all the preservatives you can get".....
I'm blog hoppin...So glad I hopped on over to you're blog because you're hysterical! I especially love the bit about your kids sacrificing you to the powdered cheese gods...hehehehe.
I'm adding you to my reader ;)
i laughed so hard...i think i blew snot out my nose...sorry, tmi!!
that is hilarious! i could just picture it...and, it's hilarious. of course, i'm on your side...so, i'm laughing because of the cuteness. the other mom...bleh...she sucks, in her hanes sweat outfit. those are ugly, anyways!! you probably looked way hotter, even with all the barrettes!!
there is a grocery store by my house, that i refuse to go to because of undesirable patrons and unwanted meetings in the center of the aisles!!!
great post!!! and...i too, am so happy to have "met" you!!!
xoxo
how's the back doing?
Isn't that the way it always it... no matter that you looked fabulous yesterday and will tomorrow, the one day SHE has to see you, you're wearing mismatched barrettes. She should be so lucky to have you're stylist. =)
Etcetera - blog hopper
The part about the powdered cheese gods--- been there. Wonderfully put.
Blog hopping--HP
I've almost left the house wearing a princess crown on MANY occasions-it's part of the territory when you have girls!
Hilarious!
By the way, used to live in Austin, TX (now in Nashville, TN) and I drool at the mention of HEB. I'd park ANYWHERE just to visit Mr. Butt's stores again!
Also. Your key. His car. Just sayin!
(blog hoppin!)
haha! I'm blog hoppin. I hate the grocery store. I also hate a car stealing my spot. Have you ever seen Fried Green Tomatoes? If not, there's a scene where someone steals the ladies parking spot, and she's at the end of her rope and totally starts ramming into her. I feel like that some days...haha. :)
if this makes anyone feel better, tonight we had dinner at a texmex place with some other moms/daughters. not only did my daughter eat straight queso as her meal, at one point I looked over and she was sucking on a packet of butter
she's 8. not a toddler, 8. it was disgusting. I think her little friend was sucking down sweet and low packets so I felt a little better about that
THANK YOU for the lovely comment on my icebreaker post. am so happy to have found your blog! will be back soon
bloghoppin...cheers!
Har! Great post. I would much rather hang out with a fun gal like you than Over Achiever Mom... barrettes and all.
Bwahahaha..Love it! Welcome to the world of GapMoms! ;)
Public rainbow barrettes possess an automatic level of soul overachiever mom may never achieve. I say amen to wearing the heart-shaped ones.
I've not been to your place before. Nice to meet you and find your lovely blog,
Tracy
(Blog hopping!)
I've got all those things in my cart, that Over Achiever Mom does...but mine's cause I'm going to Weight Watchers.
And the family just has to live with the wheat pasta, and my homemade spaghetti sauce! It's better for them too! :-|
But I'd look and feel more like you seem to, so I guess it evens out :-)
Happy Hoppin
Blog Hoppin' . . . Great post, very funny! I'm thinking though, if I ever meet anyone anywhere happily singing Michael Bolton songs . . . I may have to punch them in the face.
That made me laugh! Sometimes I put a bow in my hair (what's left of it) so my 2yo daughter will put one in hers. My wife is convinced that because she stays home with me and her brother that she will never be girlie and wear bows and dresses. So far she is right.
Weekend BlogHopping - :beer:
I go to the supermarket either waaay late or waaaaay early. Less hassle, less frustration.
Darrin - aka Makeshift Sinatra from the bloghopper crew
You know what?! she'll probably end up being 'that' mom later you know the one you hear about who just lost it?!
(blog hoppin)
OMG, I'm so glad I'm not alone. Just the other day I walked out of the house with my house slippers and a chuck-e-cheese barrette in my hair.. I see those moms all the time :( I can't believe she did that....
Very nice Page you have here.. I am just making my rounds and wanted to say have a great weekend !!!!
Too funny!
I always start my shopping trips out right. Buying lots of fruits and veggies, whole wheat bread, soybeans, etc. But, by the end I start thinking, 'Who am I fooling?', and end up getting ice cream and marshmallow cereal anyway.
Awesome post! There will always be over achiever moms, just like there will always be people that aren't. I'm happy to be one of the moms that aren't. In fact, over achieving moms scare me.
I had a similar issue about the up front parking space the other day. Some guy in a Porsche SUV swooped in and stole my spot. Oh, I was so tempted to key his car. lol. I didn't. But I wanted to.
This is why I have my groceries delivered! Although this kind of backfired this morning when Mr. Cleancut Deliver Man caught me with a bandana in my hair, dish towel over my face, and wearing the ugliest sweatpants on the face of the Earth (I was tearing down my basement ceiling). I have always felt Over-Achiever Moms are trying to make up for what they lack in other areas.
Bloghopper SHW
Slanche from the Weekend Bloghoppers!
I swear, I avoid the closest grocery store to me in order to prevent a run-in with Overachiever Mommy. Somehow she always tracks me down... and then I STILL have to drive the extra miles and traffic to get back home.
Aw, f**k em. I is what I is! (this is one too many Cosmos talking!)
Post a Comment