Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Our Future Aggie

Abby quite frequently frustrates me. She has a heart of gold, sweet as can be, smart as a whip, but a little, how can I say it, unmotivated. She is way too focused on the TV, she cuts corners while doing her chores, her idea of cleaning her room is throwing everything in the closet, and she talks, a lot! Come to think of it, she's a lot like I was at her age, and I turned out okay. Maybe there's hope for her yet! But for now I would love to see a little more pep in her step.

But all of that changes when she gets around horses. She is smitten with those things! Her eyes light up when it is time to go for riding lessons and I can really light a fire under her bum if I threaten to miss a week.


I enjoy her lessons as well. It's free time for me. I park the truck at the end of the arena and watch her, or read a book, or take a cat nap, or exit my vehicle with arms flailing because one of God's creatures has flown in through the window.


Today I actually watched her whole lesson outside the comfort of my air conditioned truck and was really impressed with how far she has come. She is so at ease up on the horse and looks quite natural. She has found her "thing". Now she is trotting with no problems, getting the horse to turn with no resistance, it was quite a joy to watch.


The most impressive thing is the love and care that she takes with these animals. Makes me wish I could turn Emma into a horse. Then things would be a lot quieter around here! But I am so happy that she has found something that makes her so happy.

We're signing her up for horse camp this summer. I fully intend to hang it over her head every time something is shoved under the bed, or she forgets to clean the table, or she is staring at the television while her sister is coloring the wall right next to her. This might just be the "giddy up" she needs!

She wants to be a farm vet, she loves being in the country, she loves being with animals, and I love her!

1 comment:

Narci D said...

Good for you, Abby! You have such a sweet spirit--you are going to begreat at whatever you decide to do!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.