Friday, August 17, 2007

Thank Heaven

Sometimes you can't help but have a favorite child. It changes every day depending on the mood I'm in, the mood they're in, who's kissing my butt the most at the moment, etc..

Today my favorite is Abby. She very frequently lives in her own little world, completely oblivious to anything happening around her. She can't help it, she's a free spirit with a heart of gold, but a lack of focus and that's okay. I wouldn't change a thing about her. This morning however, she must have been in tune with my universe because she was definitely my angel from above.

Kathryn pulled her usual morning routine and we snuggled in my bed for a bit. Then she decided to go upstairs and ask Abby a question and I didn't hear from any children for 3 hours!! Of course when I rolled over and noticed what time it was, I quickly bolted out of bed and tore upstairs to make sure all the girls were okay. I mean I never get to sleep that long without being disturbed, even if Daddy's home.


I turned the corner to the playroom and they were all playing so contently. Abby had built a fort for the little ones and they were having the time of their lives. What struck me the most was how calm and peaceful she was keeping them. I didn't hear a peep all morning and that is very rare. On top of entertaining them for so long she had also gotten Emma and Kathryn breakfast.

So there was literally nothing I needed to do except thank God that I have Abby. As much as I am frustrated by her, she always comes through when I need it the most. And what's funny about that is she knows it before I do. Sure I could always use a little more sleep, but I didn't realize how absolutely exhausted I had been until I went up there. Somehow she just has this knack for being THERE when I need her. Almost makes up for all the times she's in La La Land, almost.

So how could I refuse when she can downstairs and asked me to do some elaborate hairstyle a la Aunt Traci? I'll be the first to admit, I'm not so good with the girly-girl stuff. However I can do a mean ponytail!! But look what I accomplished:


Yes I am becoming a regular beauty shop pro. And I owe it all to this book:


Before long I might even be able to tackle a French Braid. I love this book, it breaks everything down step by step, and let's face it, I need all the help I can get. In fact it's how I learned to do Emma's Princess Leia buns the other day. No surprise this book is put out by the American Girl Library. Now I have never been a fan of the dolls. Personally I think it's a bit creepy to have a doll that looks like you. The girls seemed to enjoy all the stories. But I love, Love, LOVE this set of books they have for the tween set!

We have so many. The Care and Keeping of You, The Smart Girls Guide to Starting Middle School, The Feelings Book. Anything you can imagine a tweener needing help with, they have a book for. Books about money, friendships, babysitting, homework, organizational skills, everything!! There's even a period book which I'm sure we'll need sooner rather than later. Just don't even want to think about that one! And their puzzle books, quiz books, craft books and even cookbooks are just awesome! I think I like looking at them just as much as the girls and it helps a lot to read what they are reading to be able to parent the issue in a way that they can definitely understand.

Just another reason I'm glad I have girls. What would we be reading if I had boys? How to Throw a Curve Ball, The Art of Sniffing Out Clean Laundry, Fashion 101: The Correct Way to Wear Jeans Past Your Crotch, or Teasing Always Gets the Girl.

Yes, thank heaven I have girls.

6 comments:

Katie said...

That's too sweet, what a Great older sis!! :) And great job on that hairstyle!! I'll definitely have to get me a copy of that book ;)

JKMN said...

You know I love Abby - she is just such a sweet girl. And thanks for the tip on the American Girl books. I just got Margaret the money book - it is a keeper! I need to put the hair one on our to-buy list.

Narci D said...

Abby, you look so pretty! Don't know much about having girls, but you've done a great job on all 4 of yours!

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

This is so weird, because just YESTERDAY when I was putting Julia's hair into dog ears...I was thinking, "Wow, her hair is all finally ONE length...I wonder if they sell a book on how to do those funky hairstyles I love from the Justice and Limited Too ads." :) Maybe THIS is my answer... :)

Didi said...

What a sweetie! You did a great job on her hair!

Sassy said...

Thanks for a NON SPORTS related girly post (lol)...
Love the hair Abby!!!!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.