Usually the pot is simmering. Every so often, it boils over. The trick is to catch it before it explodes and makes a giant mess. You can either turn the heat down, or if it is too close, you gotta move that pot right away from the heat source, QUICK!!
I feel it is the perfect analogy for motherhood.
The past few days I've felt it coming and I needed to get away and do something for me. So I went and got a pedi. Nothing too big, but an hour away can do wonders. Especially when the only thing people want from you is to know if you want an eyebrow wax too. Being able to read in peace, getting a semi-massage, and just being alone, it's a wonderful feeling.
As I sat there, I realized that I am not that far off from having "me time" on a regular basis. The girls start school in a week and Kathryn starts going two days a week after Labor Day. Holy Moly, two days all to myself!! WOW! It's quite mind blowing especially when you take in the fact that I have had a child at home for 12 years!
Sure I went to school and worked, but both of those were part time occurrences, scheduled around my children. My girls were at the UH on campus daycare. I scheduled my classes around nursing, I ate lunch with them, I played with them on my hour breaks. And, I was working as a waitress at a cocktail bar (c'mon sing), that was after the kiddos were in bed. Or on the weekends they were with their dad. I mean I have really, completely been a full time mom for twelve years.
So what am I going to do with myself on Tuesdays and Thursdays? Get my nails done, massages, lunch with the ladies, shopping at the Galleria, watching soap operas and eating bon bons? Sounds grand, I'd love to! But let's be realistic...
Grocery shopping by myself and maybe I can finally get back to the gym. Scheduling doctor and hair appointments. Finally organizing the ten shoeboxes of photos. I mean honestly I DON'T KNOW! I'm excited to find out though. I'm quite certain there will be a fair amount of volunteering at the school, eating lunch with the girls, chaperoning field trips, negating my me time altogether. And after a few weeks, when it finally hits me, a few tears about the fact that I am alone and my girls are growing up. Then I'll be the first one in the carpool line to pick up Kathryn. I think I'll become quite pathetic actually. Or not...only time will tell.
But, ooh the possibilites! Anyone want to go to lunch?
Bulk purchase smoke 1775856595534-4
3 months ago


7 comments:
Y'know, more often than not I would find myself sitting on the couch looking around at a basket of laundry or a chicken that needed to be roasted and would tell myself-why bother??? You have managed to get these things done for so many years with kids under toe, why mess with a good thing? I would just rather sit here and stare into nothing without anyone to interrupt....because really-that is the only thing you can never do with kids around.
PS-did you get your brows waxed???
Count me in for lunch...but my only free days are Wednesdays and Fridays...otherwise I'll be planning my days around a looong drive to C.S. I can't decide if that is 'me' time or not. I'm pretty sure my family thinks it IS!
Just had some "ME time" today too...seeing Harry Potter #5, LOVED it, even more than I thought I would...I get no Me time this year...Julia is in am school, Jack is in pm kinder...go figure. But, I can't complain...twelve years! I am just going on SIX!
I'm totally up for lunch, but I don't think that's going to work out with travel time and all! You'll be surprised by how quickly things get done and how quickly time passes on those two days! I can't wait for this for you--If anyone has put their time in, it's you!
Ahhh, ME time! I do think I am up for some me time as well. I wonder how much a pedicure cost in NJ??? Enjoy your two days a week! It is right around the corner. And you certainly deserve the time!
Enjoy your "me time" coming up. I, on the other hand, am going back to work after Labor Day, so am enjoying all the "me time" I can get right now. Like today for instance...slept in until 9. In 5 hours all I've done is bathe and dress Clare, make bottles, do 2 feedings, ate a little lunch and folded a load of clothes. It's 2 and no shower yet for me...just been playing on the computer while Clare is napping. I'm sure going to miss these days. But, I think I'll go shower now! :)
You're right Amy. You will grocery shop, make appt.'s and volunteer for class parties and such. That time will fly. But, if you want some Amy time, schedule it in those hours that you are childless. Let me tell you another time waster: chatting with the other moms at drop off and pick up. Wear your blinders, rush in and rush out!
Post a Comment