Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Irony

We were going to a potluck tonight and I had signed up for dessert. And you know me, I am always the one that brings the package of chocolate chip cookies from the store. But not this time. No, this time I had a great recipe, I was going to bake a homemade dessert. And the best thing was it only called for 5 ingredients. We ran some errands then headed to the grocery store to pick up what we needed. Four ingredients in the cart, the fifth no where to be found.

I was looking for a bag of frozen apples. Should be with the frozen fruit. Blueberries, strawberries, cherries, mangoes, peaches, no apples. No big deal, we'll just bop on into the store around the corner. No frozen apples. And I'm thinking maybe I read the recipe wrong. But I had printed it out and it was in my purse. Sure enough it says bag of frozen apples. So by this time I am a little irritated and Emma and Kathryn are ready to go home. But I decide we're not too far from Wal Mart, let's just bop on in there. No frozen apples.

Of course the fact that I went to Wal Mart at all should let you know how determined I was to find these damn apples. I never, ever set foot in that store, but I figure they are always my last resort. And since I am so stubborn and so focused on finding apples, I throw the girls back in the truck and drive clear across town to Costco. Because I remember seeing more frozen fruit there then anywhere else in my life. And I figure if they don't have apples, well I'll just make it with peaches, because I've seen the peaches everywhere.

Let's see, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, mango, pineapple chunks. No frozen apples.

And no frozen peaches either.

Now it did occur to me that I could just make it with fresh apples. But locating my apple-peeler- corer-slicer in my kitchen would have been another disastrous ordeal, and frankly I had my fill of those for the day.

So I walked to the bakery aisle and picked up a package of chocolate chip cookies.

And on the way to the checkout I had to stop and stare at the display before me. I had been on a hunt for a Wii for no fewer than 4 months. Harassing every employee that works at Target, Best Buy and Toys R Us. Finally my desperation led to a mass family email to be on the lookout for a Wii. Janet found the last one at WalMart in itty-bitty La Grange. There in the aisle at Costco were 21 Wiis!

On the way home I had to pull over because I thought I was going to die choking on a gummy lifesaver. And on the car radio? Alanis Morissette.

Isn't that ironic?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I really don't think they make frozen apples - don't feel bad.

Anonymous said...

1-you said "purse", as in YOUR OWN!!!

2-lifesaver you were choking on, you know they made them with the hole in the middle, as a lifesaver and marketed them to mothers of little kids to say they were kid friendly!! SO IRONIC, even funnier!!

3-Stick with what you know, you should have made that yummo cake(or was it pie??) with the heath bar crumbles!!! That is gooooood!

Jenni said...

Funny post Amy. You never cease to give me a much needed chuckle! I, too, have NEVER seen or heard of frozen apples. I have a super recipe for an apple cake (fresh apples) that I will make for you if you come see us in Florida!

Sassy said...

Funny. Yeah, I have only seen frozen apples in Marie Callendar's Apple Crunch Cobbler. Next time, just bring that :)

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.