Thursday, August 9, 2007

A Calgon Moment

We all have them, some more than others. I've decided this might become a regular feature on the blog because I have LOTS!! And it's just easier to get to the computer than to track down the phone and call someone. So my Calgon moments for the day:

I decided today was "stay home and take care of house crap" day. I've done several loads of laundry, organized dressers for back to school, packed the girls for a week with their dad. I have also peeled 27 stickers off of my wood floors, cleaned up some Kanga vomit, restuffed an entire box of Kandoo wipes, and performed various other tasks that I never thought possible. Since my day is going so swimmingly I whip up some cheddar ravioli and dispense applesauce cups for lunch, nice and easy. Kathryn is the last left at the table and drops a bit of applesauce on the table.

I clean it Mommy, I a big girl.

Never one to dissuade anyone from cleaning up after themselves, I hand her a paper towel and head to swap out some laundry loads. When I return she has decided to dump her whole cup all over the table, gleefully swiping the paper towel back and forth.

Look Mommy, I a good helper!

Yeah thanks. I remove her kicking and screaming from her "chore" and proceed to clean the table correctly. Meanwhile she has made it to my bathroom where she is screaming my name.
I find her butt naked in the tub.

I take a bath Mommy, cuz I very dirty!

No Kathryn, not now, we'll take a bath before bedtime.

No bath right now, bath right now, bath right now!

(Is there anything more annoying than children chanting?)

No Kathryn later, please get out, you are making me crazy today.

I no make you crazy, I make you so happy, I go potty!

I open my mouth to continue this argument and decide what's the point? I remove her from the tub, forcibly wash her hands of applesauce, throw on her clothes, give her some juice, and toss her in her room, an hour and a half before nap time.

Then the girls' dad arrives to pick them up and Emma decides to have a massive fit. I try to use my calm and nurturing parenting techniques because I have to keep up the facade that I am a great mom. She proceeds to argue more and get much louder. I say excuse me, pick her up around the waist, and march her up to her room, all with a smile on my face like the calm, perfect mother that I need my ex-husband to believe I am.

So the big ones are gone and the little ones are exiled.

I think I'll go run a bath now...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jailing Kathryn in the tub could work in your advantage:she gets cleaned, while you are close by in your room, folding laundry, catching up on TV, put on your makeup...well maybe not the makeup part. But you get it. I like to sneak in the bathroom while they shower-even though both kids can bathe themselves. They don't I am there to talk to, so I sit on the floor and read my book. The added bliss of a sweet child at play...oh it's so nice. It make you like them again.

Katie said...

YIKES what is it about today, Ben has been in rare form as well, I like your idea, maybe I'll go run a bath too ;)

Didi said...

That Calgon can sure take us all away most days. Maybe I'll be able to take a bath this weekend!

The Daily Stroll said...

I have those kind of days too and there is nothing better than ending them with a nice long hot bath that is until Riley decides to jump in the tub with me! Crazy dog!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.