Today is Abby's birthday and she is 10 years old! Hurray!! And before my brother makes any smartass comments about the candle, I just couldn't find any, so cut a mom some slack!
I always feel a little sad on Abby's birthday because it does bring up a rough time in my life. Going through the pregnancy basically on my own, being a single mom to baby Alli, and trying to balance school and surviving was just tough. But even when I was pregnant, Abby was my rock. She was my focus in getting through that period of time. She was my light at the end of the tunnel. She was one of the greatest joys of my life. She helped teach me how to be a mother, and a survivor, and because of these things I had a connection with her that I didn't with the other girls. And on the day that she was born, knowing that it was a miracle getting through that pregnancy, I knew there was nothing in the world I couldn't do. So every year on this day I am reminded of that gift she gave to me.
Now Abby is my child who is forgotten. Not because I mean too. Because she is good and pure and easy. It's very easy to get lost in the mix here, there are so many dominant personalities. But Abby is the happy child, the laid back child, the child who I know I can set aside to deal with other issues because I know that she will be fine. And when I say that I don't mean she is neglected, I just mean she is low maintainence. She still gets plenty of mom time, she just seems okay with having to wait for it.
Abby is my slow eater, my lollygagger, my fellow Capricorn, my purple lover, my unicorn believer, my giver of sweet hugs and kisses, my friend to all living creatures, my daydreamer. She has a heart of gold. She sees all the good in the world and for that she is my inspiration.
I told myself when Abby was born that she was mine and only my baby. That because of what we went through, we would always be a pair. And now that she is ten, I can't believe all of the things that we have achieved with our lives that I never thought possible.
I love you Abby! You continue to be the good in the world for me. And even though I get frustrated with you and some of your habits (the room is quite often a mess), and tell you it's time to grow up, I don't really mean it.
Please stay the wonderful, beautiful daughter you have always been. And know that you continue to be my strength in a world that frequently tries to beat me down.
Okay enough mushiness...
Happy Birthday to you, cha cha cha!!!
I always feel a little sad on Abby's birthday because it does bring up a rough time in my life. Going through the pregnancy basically on my own, being a single mom to baby Alli, and trying to balance school and surviving was just tough. But even when I was pregnant, Abby was my rock. She was my focus in getting through that period of time. She was my light at the end of the tunnel. She was one of the greatest joys of my life. She helped teach me how to be a mother, and a survivor, and because of these things I had a connection with her that I didn't with the other girls. And on the day that she was born, knowing that it was a miracle getting through that pregnancy, I knew there was nothing in the world I couldn't do. So every year on this day I am reminded of that gift she gave to me.
Now Abby is my child who is forgotten. Not because I mean too. Because she is good and pure and easy. It's very easy to get lost in the mix here, there are so many dominant personalities. But Abby is the happy child, the laid back child, the child who I know I can set aside to deal with other issues because I know that she will be fine. And when I say that I don't mean she is neglected, I just mean she is low maintainence. She still gets plenty of mom time, she just seems okay with having to wait for it.
Abby is my slow eater, my lollygagger, my fellow Capricorn, my purple lover, my unicorn believer, my giver of sweet hugs and kisses, my friend to all living creatures, my daydreamer. She has a heart of gold. She sees all the good in the world and for that she is my inspiration.
I told myself when Abby was born that she was mine and only my baby. That because of what we went through, we would always be a pair. And now that she is ten, I can't believe all of the things that we have achieved with our lives that I never thought possible.
I love you Abby! You continue to be the good in the world for me. And even though I get frustrated with you and some of your habits (the room is quite often a mess), and tell you it's time to grow up, I don't really mean it.
Please stay the wonderful, beautiful daughter you have always been. And know that you continue to be my strength in a world that frequently tries to beat me down.
Okay enough mushiness...
Happy Birthday to you, cha cha cha!!!


4 comments:
What a sweet entry! Reminds me a lot of me and my mother who had me at 19 and since I am an only child...our bond was similar. Too sweet, she is a caregiver and she will ALWAYS take care of YOU...She should look into teaching... that is a trait that is SO needed in that field, not discussing the lack of pay... but then again,that can't be why I do it, right? I know you are proud Amy...hard work reaps great rewards....Aren't kids GREAT???? :)
Amy, What a sweet heartfelt message. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABBY!!!
Happy Birthday ABBY!!!
Post a Comment