Friday, February 8, 2008

Some Things I Learned by Having a Fourth Kid


-That little girls are supposed to wear bows in their hair. That they actually look cute in bows. And that bows really aren't that hard to put in seeing as they have this idiot proof alligator clip thingie.

-That phone conversations really are impossible.

-That Poptarts for breakfast and Beenie Weenies for lunch is not a bad thing. At least the children are getting fed. And that pizza is a balanced meal because it covers all four food groups.

-That shopping for daughters is a problem, an addiction, and I can't stop. It doesn't matter that number 4 has 27 pairs of 3T jeans passed down from her sisters. She doesn't have that pair at Gap with the pink trim with white polka dots. And she MUST. HAVE. IT.

-That a minivan really would be a good idea. But I'm STILL NOT going there!

-That Barbie shoes are the most painful things to step on.

-That Victoria's Secret sells some amazing pushup bras that make you look like you never nursed one, let alone four brats.

-That homemade gift bags for preschool classroom parties are overrated. The kids really appreciate a SpongeBob fruit snack so much more!

-That the easiest way to insure your child does not: pull out all the tape from several VHS movies, dump 3 boxes of cereal on the floor, lock a sister in the closet, try to kill herself on the trampoline, decide to make your kitchen table their latest masterpiece, or answer the front door while you are taking a shower, is to put their little booty in the bath right next to you.

-That when you are feeling like crap because you have food poisoning, a bad back, a hangover, or are just plain lazy and want to doze on the couch for an hour or two, that the Leapster LMax is the BEST babysitter ever!

-That girls in the world ain't nothing but trouble!

-But that they're worth every bit of it!

35 comments:

Kellan said...

I have 4 kids too - so I can absolutely relate to all of this!! My 4th is a girl too and yes - those Babrie shoes do hurt!! Take care and have a great weekend - Kellan

Amy said...

amen!

Anonymous said...

Oh I so agree with you on the girl clothing shopping addiction. I actually managed to curb my own shopping but only in exchange for shopping for her.

I do have to disagree with you on the hair bows thing, though. Getting them in isn't the problem, but I challenge anyone to get my little girl to keep them there. lol


Blog hopping along.

Laski said...

OK--I'm only on one . . . I have so much more to learn. Wait, that implies that there will be a two, three, and four.

Katie said...

Love that! ~ Though I guess I won't learn as much since I'll be stopping after this one ;)

Unknown said...

Great post!

-blog hoppin' bimmgee

MommyTime said...

Blog rolling through, but had to slow down here with so much fun to read. Made it all the way to the panties post and had to LOL b/c my not-quite 2 yr old has been doing that every day with her big brother's Star Wars underpants. It's pretty funny huh?

As for clothes, I'm fighting. the. addiction. It's v-e-r-r-r-y hard...

Have a good weekend,
MartiniTime

ShannanB said...

I love this list. I have boys and yet so many of your points ring true, regardless.

Weekend Blog Hopper,
Anastasia Beaverhousin

Tara R. said...

Barbie shoes... boo, VS... yea! Love the list!

blog hopper - etcetera

Sarabeth said...

-That phone conversations really are impossible.

Yep. Yep. Yep.

Blog hopping--HP

BookMamma said...

Great post! Especially the part about pizza and the four food groups... can I get an AMEN??

Anonymous said...

I love the mini van reference.. I went as far as testing driving one.. they really are practical.. but NOPE won't go there yet.

Need to go to Victoria's Secret to fix these flap jacks..LOL

Maureen said...

Hahahahaha... those were good. But believe me, having a van is great. When we walked into the car dealership 7 years ago, I said "not a van" and promptly walked out with one mere hours later.

And I love the view it gives me when I drive. I love it.

Maureen
Blog hoppin'

Karen MEG said...

27 pairs of jeans! That's awesome LOL! And you're right, once you get a minivan, there's no going back. I said never, and now look at me....

Blog hoppin' Hi...Pomtini

suchsimplepleasures said...

i have 5 kids...3 are boys...let me tell you, the boys are more difficult!! i would trade the boys for girls any.day.of.the.week!! i'm gonna lose my mind from having boys!!
btw..victoria secrets bras...rock! i bought some that have a silicone insert...and, i look like i've had a boob job!!!
xoxo

Aardvark said...

I only have one girl...but another one coming! Hopefully we will all survive!

Cheers as we do some Weekend Bloghopping!>

Jenn said...

I learned with four kids, that boys can wear pink, too. (at least the first couple years, right?)

blog hoppin
Mox on The Rocks

Ed (zoesdad) said...

Embrace the minivan! It's not so much hate as it is loathing but you get used to it.

LunaNik said...

I loved this post!!

AND...I love the comment you left me!!! You're so right about the 'are you gonna try for a boy' comments. They make me mad too!!!

I only want girls. Girls are sugar and spice right?!! Boys are just yucky ;)

Missy said...

So I am curious - what do you drive if you don't have a minivan? :)
I have 2 kids and maybe a third to come and I am wondering how to avoid the minivan. But 3 carseats in my little car isn't gonna work...

I love this post!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a list!! I have a long way to go to get to where you are but these are some great tips!

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the mini-van point, and I will forever not go there. :)

Amy said...

I think phone conversations are impossible now and I only have two. When you have four can you even hear the phone ring?

Caffeine Court said...

I broke down and got the minivan 4 years ago! My friend's son told me that mine is actually cool because I've got it "pimped out!"

That little boy made my day!

pb&j in a bowl said...

First, I think it's awesome that you have 4 daughters. I have 3 sisters and they are some of my best friends. Growing up, I had no idea how hard it must have been on my mom, but after having just one child, I couldn't imagine having four. Kudos to you.

I'm alsonaddicted to buying little girl clothes, T shirts to be specific. The funnier, the better.

krissy said...

I hated those little barbie shoes! Ouch!!!

Cute post...

Anonymous said...

I love watching you parent four girls-because you do better than I could.

The Mrs. said...

I am not going to the mini van EVER! I am sooooo with you! Love this post!

Unknown said...

Awesome post - I hear you on so many levels - but especially the last two! So true.

Anonymous said...

Amy

Your worth all the trouble you cause and then some!

Hubby

Sassy said...

All true, great post!

Signed,
Fellow Shopping for girls Addict

Momisodes said...

I have to agree with cablegirl. I can totally control shopping for myself, as long as I can find things for my daughter ;)

And I can never get my daughter into hair bows!

Anonymous said...

Yes, those Barbie shoes hurt, but let me tell you plastic flower rings go right through the skin! :)

I love your blog, btw. I just stumbled upon it today and I will definitely be back, not only because it's a good read, but because my name is also Amy and I have four girls too!

Chanin said...

I am laughing because I can sooo relate! Awesome!

girlymom said...

I so get ya~ barbie shoes, hair bows and all!
Note to self: schedule a trip ALONE to Victoria's Secret! :)

Playing catch up here, you've been busy!

Happy Valentine's Day!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.