Sunday, February 10, 2008

Not in my job description

There are a few things in our marriage that I don't deal with, not my department, leave them up to the man. Those would include putting the trash out, grilling, changing light bulbs, math homework, cleaning the hamster cage, paying the bills, and killing bugs. Obviously with hubby's chaotic travel schedule, I've had to step up in some of these tasks. And I'm not happy about it...

The other night there was a cockroach in the girls' bathroom sink. A disgustingly large, almost bigger than the hamster cockroach. The first I've seen in the house since we moved back to Houston. If you were to ask what I hate most about Houston it would be cockroaches and mosquitoes. I can handle the heat and the humidity, I just can't handle the bugs.

The usual routine around here is if a bug is spotted, I either go and grab a plastic cup and put it over the thing or I grab one of Hubby's shoes and smash it. Then when Steven gets home, it's his job to kill whatever is trapped under the cup or clean the guts off of his shoe. And let me tell you mustering up the courage to smash or trap a bug is a big deal. I am a wuss, a full out pansy when it comes to insects. I am terrified, no PETRIFIED would be a better word! I will stand and stare at a bug for ten minutes, follow it around if it moves, and take about 10,000 deep breaths before I actually get the nerve to proceed with my attack. So to help me along with my fear, Steven bought me this handy, dandy tool to use when he's not around:


So the other night when the massive cockroach was spotted, I screamed to the girls, "Get the bug vacuum." They raced upstairs with it, handed it to me, I stood there with the three foot wand and could. not. move.

I was frozen. I had visions of missing the thing and it crawling up the wand and onto my face and it was just not happy thoughts I was having! So I turned to the girls again and said, "Go get Mr. Jeff!" Because major companies outsource all the time, the tasks they don't want to deal with. And I'm a big fan of outsourcing.

So Jeff is my newest hero in a long line of neighbors' husbands who take care of me while Steven is away. And had he not been there, I don't know what I would have done. Because we don't have a plastic cup that big.

Later that night, a mosquito eater was buzzing around in my bathroom sink. And I began to think, wow this is rather comical. I haven't seen any bugs since Christmas when I was given the bug wand and now in one night, two big honking disgusting things! But by now it was midnight, and I could handle a mosquito eater. So after dousing it with about 12 cups of water, trying to drown the thing first or rather stun it so it couldn't fly away, I got the bug vacuum and sucked it right up. And there it sits, until Steven comes home to empty the thing.

Because emptying the bug vacuum is now on the list of things that I don't do.

22 comments:

Momisodes said...

ROFL!! I would have outsourced too! I am right there with you on the bug fear. I can't even be in the same room. I have never seen a contraption like this before! I'm shielding hubby from this post ;)

suchsimplepleasures said...

thank heaven for outsourcing!!! my hubby, who is more afraid of bugs than i am...squeals like a girl...every stinking time i make him kill a bug!! usually, i'm hiding while he is doing the nasty because, i have visions of, whatever is being killed, falling into my hair. and...seeing that i have so much hair...we'll never find the dead bug again!! then, i'd have to shave my head. so, therefore, i hide!!
xoxo

pb&j in a bowl said...

A big woo-hoo for neighbors!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. So now I'm going to go tell my husband that when I move to Houston, I'm going to need one of those bug vacuum thingies, because I hear they have gigantic bugs there! Ugh!

krissy said...

Ha, Ha!

This is totally me and snakes! Snakes are my worst nightmare and I have cried many tears when confronted with these nasty animals!

Good job getting the last bug! And the best way I have killed bugs is to spray an entire can of hairspray on them followed up by bug repellant and deordorant! The hairspray freezes the suckers so they can't move! Lysol works well too! Just my experience with the nasty creatures!!!

Kimberly said...

Oh bugs suck!! Have you ever had a scorpion in your house? We would find those little suckers in our house in SA.....it freaks me out just thinking about them!

Kellan said...

I am soooooooooooooooo the same way and I NEED ONE OF THOSE BUG MACHINES!! How cool is that machine?!?! I'd still be afraid of the roaches too - stand really far away - but, I NEED ONE OF THOSE MACHINES!! This was a great, funny post - thanks. See you soon. Kellan

Busy Dad Mumbles said...

Leader of the Pack,

First congrats on receiving the Egel Award. I'm here cause the Big Bird of the nest suggested your Blog.

Second, the bug post is beautiful. I want to find the bug machine. That is very impressive.

Busy Dad Mumbles

Dreams and Designs said...

Bummer, there goes my bug vac invention idea... I knew I never should have trusted that infomercial on securing my patent! ;)

FYI- I DE-SPISE bugs. I mean, HATE HATE HATE them! Luckily for me it's 20 below zero in Iowa right now so bugs are non existant. Wait--- horrible frostbite or coackroach? Man... that's about the only time horrible frostbite comes in first!

Cynthia said...

Oh man am I there with you...I don't do bugs, vacuum or not!

Kat said...

Yuck. I hate bugs. We don't have many cockroaches here (I think I've only seen one in my life, back in college), but we have centipedes. They are the nastiest things in history. I hate them.
I have only recently started killing bugs. The thought of them crawling near (or, God forbid, ON) my kids while they sleep is enough to get me close enough to squash the suckers. Blah. Like you said, I'm always afraid I'll miss and it will fall on me or crawl up my arm or something. Blech.

Brittany said...

ewewewewew! I hate bugs. I do the cup thing, too! haha. yuck. lol

Bradley's Mom said...

This was right up my alley!

I am petrified of all crawly things too!

So glad you got help with that big one!

YUCK!!!

Be well...........

Linda

Amy said...

I don't do crawling bugs or spiders. Flying bugs don't bother me but freak my husband out. He screams like a little girl when a wasp is within 10 feet of him. It's hilarious!

Katie said...

Yea, I am not a fan of bugs either~I may need to get one of those vacuum thingies!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I got the chills reading this post.. I am totally with you on killing bugs.. GROSS.

Momo Fali said...

I had to pick up a dead baby bird that was in our driveway when my husband was out of town. I had a shovel and a big stick, so I could stay as FAR away as possible. I was gagging. What a show I put on for the neighbors that day!

Unknown said...

The Bug Vacuum? Bahahaha! I need this! Where did you find it?

I am so terrified of bugs (especially spiders)that I will throw a phone book on one, jump on it, then wait till my hubby gets home to clean it up! It takes at least ten minutes to get the courage up to just do that!

We are so alike, I was laughing through this entire post!

OHmommy said...

Oh, I am so glad to be in Ohio. No bugs in the winter. ONE good thing about Ohio.

Didi said...

How funny--a bug vac!?! I definitely don't miss those roaches from when we lived in Louisiana & Houston!

Narci D said...

Bugs are gross! I break out in a serious sweat everytime I am forced to kill one! Love the Bug Vac, but I wish the wand was a little longer! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love that you have boy jobs. I tell CableDad all the time that taking out the trash, cleaning the cat box, getting rid of bugs and fixing all electrical equipment are in his job description, not mine.

Brilliant.

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.