Emma wanted to sleep with me on Saturday night. I said no, I had laundry on the other side of the bed and was too tired to fold it, move it, and to set everything up "just so" for her sleeping pleasure. At 2am, she came downstairs, walked into my bathroom, threw up and asked, "Can I sleep with you now?"
I threw the laundry on the floor which the dog immediately took as an invitation to make a bed out of. I put Emma in bed with me and she was burning up. Took her temp- 104.3. I knew I was in for a long night.
We have one of those Tempurpedic mattresses, king size. You know the kind where you can jump on the bed and the glass of red wine won't spill and you absolutely will not feel your partner rolling over or getting out of bed. Well that doesn't apply to a sick child. Every time her breath changed or she starting shivering or sweating, every little moan, every time she blinked, I felt it, I knew.
It was rough. Emma had probably thrown up a total of 7 times between 2 and 5am. By some miracle, she hit the toilet every time. And me right there with her, holding her hair, rubbing her back, and trying my hardest not to yack all over the back of her neck.
While no one likes vomit, for me it is just the worst thing ever. I mean if you even talk about it, I will start to gag. I'm gagging right now, reliving the experiences of yesterday. During one of our childbirth classes with our midwife, the discussion was what was your greatest fear about childbirth? Some of the other moms-to-be said things like "I'm afraid the cord will be wrapped around the baby's neck" or "I'm afraid my baby will be deformed" or "I'm afraid I'll tear". When it was my turn, I very honestly answered," I'm afraid I'll throw up." (Which by the way I did with 3 out of 4, so I figured if my worst fear came true, then the rest of the birth would be smooth sailing.)
I hadn't seen Emma this sick in a long time. Right before she turned 2 she had rotovirus and had to be admitted to the hospital. Those thoughts were racing through my mind because I was certain I was not rehydrating her fast enough, not that it mattered since nothing stayed down anyway. I was panicking about having to take her to the emergency room in the middle of the night, therefore probably having to wake the other three as well since Steven was gone. I was scared and curled into a tiny little ball on the far side of the bed in case she had to throw up, I was just praying it would not be on me.
We somehow made it through the night and about 8am she and I both settled in to get some sleep. Her fever hadn't come down at all, but the poor thing, and I were exhausted. At that moment, there was a loud piercing sound throughout the house. I had asked Abby to let the dog out, but had forgotten to disarm the alarm. I didn't get to the box in time, the dispatch apparently didn't believe me when I told her we were fine, and a sheriff rang my doorbell shortly thereafter.
"We got a call about a possible break-in ma'am, is everything alright?"
"Oh, yes, everything's fine, just a long night with a sick kid."
I think he took one look at me, in my pajamas, with my hair everywhere, the biggest blackest circles under my eyes, the way I had to lean against the door just to stand up and decided while he knew everything was definitely not alright, he was not going down that road with me.
"Well you have a good day ma'am."
Yeah, thanks, I'll try... Dealing with a sick child and her three, healthy, bored and now awake sisters should be great fun.
She had a few more episodes throughout the day, a few baths, a few attempts at eating and drinking. I managed to keep her successfully sequestered from her sisters, hopefully they didn't catch this bug. She slept again with me last night and her fever didn't break until this morning at 3, so she stayed home from school. She appears to be fit as a fiddle, and I am thanking God. She and her sisters are fighting as usual and driving me nuts. She has successfully eaten just about everything in the pantry to make up for her day of starvation.
I just think nothing breaks a momma's heart like seeing her baby sick. No matter how old that baby is. I'm so happy she's okay, I'm so happy we avoided the ER and I'm so, so tired! I'm planning on an early bedtime for all and a good night's sleep in my bed, all by myself.
Well that was my plan, Kathryn has informed me her stomach hurts now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


24 comments:
Oh, honey, what a night... I hope that she's feeling better and that it didn't/won't make the rounds.
I can only imagine how miserable it is to be vomiting when you're someone who hates vomit so.
I hope no one else vomits until your husband gets home!
Let me tell you, I know all to well how tough it is to be blessed to sleep with you. I sometimes wonder if I will be carried out of bed at night by the kids so they can pile in bed with you. Puke has taken this to a whole new level. Be afraid, be very afraid.
Gosh. I hope she's over this and no one else ended up with it!
Hang in there!
OH NO! I hope I am out running this virus. Everywhere, everyone I know has this yukkiness!
Hug and kiss the girls-hope you all are okay!
Oh, poor baby and poor Mom!! I'm not good with vomit either and we've had our share of those episodes around here lately also.
I hope she feels a lot better now and that it doesn't pass through the whole house - good luck and get some rest. Kellan
i am glad she's feeling better.
i pray that it escapes the other members of your household.
hope you get some good sleep tonight.
Poor Emma and Poor Mom!! I'm glad she's feeling better and I sure hope Kathryn didn't catch it! I TOTALLY agree with you about the throwing up thing~it's THE WORST!! Hang in there, I hope you get a good night sleep
ouch, no fun with sick kids.... sending some luvs ♥ !
You know I feel your pain on this one. My kids are professional vomiters (they get that from me!). I'm sure when they get older, we will progress from holding their hair and rubbing their back to "can you keep it down in there?"
UGH! Isn't that the way it always happens? They always get sick one after another..sigh... meaning endless nights of sleep... sigh.
Hope your house is well, soon!
What the hey, you have a bug vac but no vomit vac? I should patent one ASAP!!
So sorry to hear about the long night and sick kiddo. :( Get some rest!
Yuck, now THAT is dedication.
Poor thing! I cry when I get sick! I cry like a baby actually!
Hopefully the others and yourself will avoid the flu bug! I'm just glad she's feeling better now!
Bummer!
We usually camp out in the living room when the puking starts. It's closer to a bathroom and easier to clean if there's an accident. Unfortunately, sounds like you're not done. Good luck.
oh honey!!! i hope everyone feels better! that SO sucks!!
xoxo
How is everyone feeling today. This "virus" is making its way from blogger to blogger. LOL. We need to stop it now!
Oh my.. I really really really feel for you!! That sucks. I hope that it skips you and the rest of the girls..
Huge hugs to you!! I hope you get some rest soon!
Nothing is worse than the stomach bug. Except when your child has it. I hope no one else gets it. Try to get some rest!
You poor thing...wow, the things you have to deal with when your hubby is away! Hope Emma is all better & you girls don't catch it.
hope you got some sleep last night! I've always wondered if those beds are comfortable...
I'm the exact same way with throwing up. I've never, ever thrown up and I can't handle the sound, sight or smell of it. I will gag like crazy, but never do it myself.
Thankfully, the few times C and L have been barfy, Colin has been home to take over...a shoulder to barf on.
We all caught that one too, a couple weeks ago. I hope it passes quickly for you!!
Oh no! Poor Emma and Poor Mommy! Glad she's feeling better and I hope you can catch up on some sleep!
Post a Comment