Girls are a whole new world from when I grew up. I have two brothers and played with all the boys on the street and in school. I only had one girlfriend through middle school and high school. I didn't like girls, they were catty and fake and really just got on my nerves. I didn't really have any girlfriends until I was a mom.
I always thought it would have been fun to have a sister. Someone to play dress up with, someone to giggle all hours of the night with, someones clothes and makeup to borrow, someone to cry over boys with, someone like me. Watching my girls, I think it is a blessing that I DID NOT have a sister!
When I was pregnant with Abby, I really wanted her to be a girl. How cool would it be to have two sisters so close in age? How much fun would that be for them growing up. It used to be fun, not so much right now. If anyone has any insight into life with a sister, please let me know, because really this is killing me! With brothers, you have a fist fight and you're done. Back to playing ball or Nintendo, but it's done! In five minutes you're best friends again. Not with sisters. Alli and Abby are at war. They have been for about two weeks now. I don't know what is going on, or how to fix it. But the arguing and the nitpicking and the slapping (yes they are slapping, what a girl thing), has got to stop!
So today, I have been feeling terrible, and they just pushed me over the edge. The punishment: they had to do their sister's pedicure together tonight, they were forced to spend time with each other. Abby was excited, she really wants to get along with Alli and have things in common and have that sisterly relationship. Alli rolled her eyes and gave me attitude, what else is new?
So out of a 40 minute process, they maybe had a good 7 minutes. I'm thinking maybe I should be happy with that. Better than nothing, right? But Abby is upset that Alli is mean, and Alli just has attitude and apologizes to me for being mean when I'm not the one who needs the apology.
I guess that 18 months and two grades is a lot further apart than I thought. I can't force them to be friends, but they're stuck together for the rest of their lives. I did fo
I know it won't always be this way, there will be good times again. I will hang on to my memories of them as sweet little girls playing dress up and chasing each other down the slide, to get me through this battle right now.
But something has to be done, it's really not fair to the rest of us to have to endure this. So tomorrow, I might handcuff them together for the whole day. That should be fun!!


3 comments:
Ah, looks like Alli is entering the dreaded preteen years! The good news is that she should be human again in her mid-twenties!
You have heard it a gazilliuon times from me-Lindsay and I H.A.T.E.D. each other. Luckily for my mom her heart didn't break in the way yours is-Lindsay didn't want to be my friend. She forced us to sit hand in hand and watch old black and white movies with her. Then she would always make us say corny things to each other when we didn't share, like "No Jesus-you can't have this" yes Teresa coined 'what would Jesus do'. Ride it out-it is the nature of the beast. Look forward to the great frindship they will have later.
Amy, don't wear yourself out trying for perfect harmony. I warned you years ago that they would drift apart when Alli went to middle school. I agree that their battles should not involve the rest of the family, so what happened to "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything"? Let them find their own moments to be together, it will mean so much more. I don't think I could feel any closer to my sister that is two grades higher, but we had many years in between childhood and adulthood where that wasn't so. But, what do I know, I'm only an old woman who grew up with three sisters!
Post a Comment