Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Life is Ruff!!

Have I mentioned we have a dog? Sweet, lovable Kanga, according to everyone but me. The dog and I have been at war since day one. I'm telling you there is a side to that animal that no one has seen but me.
But now, even I have to say, she is a saint. As mad as I have been at the dog, I wouldn't wish her the torture she goes through with Kathryn. I find it very ironic that Kanga who has caused me much anger and frustration in the past, is still causing me anger and frustration, only it's not her fault.
When I was 2 my mother had to give our dog away because I was always beating up on it. I never understood how a 2 year old could get the better of a dog, until now!
I'll start by saying I'm pretty sure that Kathryn thinks she is a dog and Kanga is her best friend. From the minute that child wakes up (off the floor because after all, that's where dogs sleep), it is all about Kanga. She immediately runs downstairs and lets the dog out of the laundry room, then proceeds to let her in and out, in and out, and in and out of the back door. Mind you, this is all in the ten minute span it is taking me to wake up. In the afternoon when we play in the Sac, she chases all the neighbors' cats around because she thinks she IS A DOG!
She follows poor Kanga around from room to room. She grabs Kanga by the neck and drags her across the floor. She is frequently chasing our poor dog around with the brush so that she can apparently beat the shedding hairs off of her. The most constant phrase in this house is,"Come on Kathryn's Kanga." Yes it is her dog, and no one else's.
When it has been too quiet in the house, I know exactly where Kathryn is. She is in the dog's bed just lounging away. Or she is all on fours drinking out of Kanga's water bowl. Or eating out of her bowl. Most of the time I can find her by listening for the jingle of the collar, she is either trying to put it on Kanga, or herself.
She likes to feed Kanga in her own special way. She brings the dog one piece of food at a time and grabs her mouth to cram it down her throat. She loves to jump on the dog, pull her tail, tug her ears, locks her in various rooms of the house, the list goes on. And the crazy thing is, she loves that dog more than anything!!
The other night Kanga went missing. Abby had instituted a neighborhood search party for our poor little pup. Everyone is looking, praying she hasn't been hit by a car. We found her, in the front room with the door closed, apparently hiding from her constant shadow.
Today at gymnastics, Kathryn was is hog heaven because they had to pretend like they were dogs, a task that came a little too easy for her. Just before her nap, I was folding clothes in my bedroom, and I heard a crunch, Crunch, CRUNCH! I figured she had just gotten another snack out of our revolving door pantry. No she was laying on the floor with the dog food bowl, eating it as if it were a bowl of popcorn! I am seriously at a loss on this one. I have swatted her hand, spanked her behind, yelled NO! I have hidden the bowl, only for her to find it. I mean the dog has to eat and drink!
Sometimes I wonder if this is part of Kanga's master plan to drive me crazy! HaHa, I have roped your precious daughter into my evil scheme! But plans backfire, and Kanga is as exhausted as I am. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that Kathryn runs ragged around here!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathryn, is so lucky to have such a lovable easy going dog. She will remember her attachment to Kanga for many many years. Kathryn your awesome!

Anonymous said...

have you tried the shock collar?

and your mother lied to you, she got rid of the dog when you were two because once your brother arrived there wouldn't be any more room in the "doghouse"

Anonymous said...

Maybe she will fetch better than Kanga. That stupid dog must think a tennis ball is a grenade.

Narci D said...

Jackson thinks he's a T-Rex, so imagine the "babies" that they'll produce!

Anonymous said...

We'll be glad to take her off your hands....Nathan's Kanga!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.