Friday, February 2, 2007

The Comeback

A few years ago there was an actor on a TV show that decided to leave the show to pursue a dream of being in a rock and roll band. Millions of women everywhere were distraught, what would happen to this show without its star? It couldn't be cancelled, that would cause mass hysteria. It was in the times before TiVo so you had to plan your day around the scheduling of this television program, it was that important to watch. I mean it was really the best 30 minutes of the day. Yes, I am talking about Steve from Blue's Clues.
Steve, whose perky little face and green striped shirt caused my (at the time) two little girls to be perfect angels. There weren't as many children's entertainment options as today. I admit we scheduled playdates after 9:30, because Blue's Clues came on at 9. It was our favorite show. I learned how to draw by watching Steve and his Handy Dandy notebook.
So when he decided that he was leaving the show, moms everywhere were in a frantic. When would we have our coffee and make our grocery lists? What would we do without that little blue pup? I remember the article in People magazine when he was discussing his departure. And for some stupid reason what he said has always stuck with me. He said that hopefully there were some forward thinking soccer moms out there that would listen to his music and buy his albums. Wonder how that went?
I'll tell you how it went. Today while watching Jack's Big Music Show, there was a guy singing a rock and roll song about: dirt. He was dressed in a brown shirt that had I "heart" ground on it and was wearing what looked to be groundhog ears. He was buff and bald and not bad looking(although no Blue Wiggle!). And after a minute of watching, I said," Holy Crap! That's Steve!"How far the mighty have fallen!! But it's better than the rumor that our dear, sweet Steve had died of a heroin overdose. And I'm glad that one of the other reasons he stated for leaving Blue's Clues has not kept him away from our children. He said that he was going bald and didn't want the kids to see Steve losing his hair. HUH?
But here's to you Steve, keep chasing that dream of rock and roll stardom. I wish you well, and sorry to say, but I think I like Joe a little better!

Of course I am a little disturbed by the fact that I recognized him. Maybe it's time to take back the remote and get a little Oprah on during the day!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is TOO funny! So are you ditching Johnny & the Sprites for Steve now?

JKMN said...

I always wondered what happened to his music career!

Anonymous said...

That is funny! I would have never known any of that! I didnt even realize Blue's was repeats ~ shows how much i pay attention!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.