Friday, March 21, 2008

She's a Smart One

This, my friends, is a picture of one very sad little girl. See we went to an egg hunt with this new Mom's group I joined. They were very excited to go, especially because I told them we were all going to make new friends, and Mommy too, Mommy was going to make some mommy friends.

Now Kathryn is not like your normal kid. When it comes to an egg hunt, the girl is all about quality, not quantity. So while there were several instances where she had a pile of about 5 eggs right at her feet, she didn't pick any of them up. Why? Because they weren't BLUE!

Meanwhile every other of the 30+ children are snatching as many eggs as they can, including Emma. Finally, Kathryn found a blue egg... with nothing in it. Cue the waterworks please. I don't think that I have ever seen her this sad. It was like her dog had just died. The girl was distraught all because she did not have a BLUE egg. I went to look in Emma's basket, and while she had about 28 eggs, none of them were blue.


So Kathryn walks right into the middle of a group of moms who were chatting, none of who we know since we just joined this group, and stands there with tears streaming down her face, every so often taking that deep breath with the little shudder.

"Oh my goodness, sweetie, what's wrong?"

I,I,I, don't have any BLUE eggs. (sob, sob)

"Oh well we have lots of blue eggs."

The girl was given 8 blues eggs by 3 different moms. She said thank you, turned and started walking towards me, with the biggest, slyest smile on her face. This does not bode well for her future husband.

Later on while I was swinging her, some other mothers came up. They put their children in the swings on either side of Kathryn and proceeded on with their conversation. Before I could introduce myself Kathryn started talking," Is that your boy? How old is he? My name is Kathryn and I'm three and this is my mommy, Amy, and you can be her friend."

Thanks honey. Because of my sweet, conniving little girl, in one way or another we talked to ALL the moms there today, many of which we really liked.

Later that evening we were driving down to the beach house. Kathryn loves to know EVERYTHING! She is a very inquisitive child and asks me questions ALL DAY LONG. This conversation was all about what animals eat.

Mom, what do bears eat? Berries and fish.

What do lions eat? Meat.

What do tigers eat? Meat.

What do elephants eat? Peanuts.

What do bunnies eat? Carrots.

What do orcas eat? What? How do you know what orcas are? I haven't seen that on Diego.

Mom, what do orcas eat? I don't know.

Mom, orcas eat SHARKS! Well if you knew, why did you ask me? How do you know that?

Duh, I learned it on my Animal Genius game! I am so smart! (Yeah, she duh'ed me!)

And yes she is so smart. And because of that, from now on, she can help Alli with her Algebra homework.



36 comments:

Rachel said...

That is adorable! What a worker she is :-)
Princess is in the 'why' stage.. again.
Princess would have done the same darn thing, introduced herself and then me :-) LOL. Too cute!

Kat said...

Oh, what a cutie! Smart AND cute. That is quite a combo!

JEWELGIRL said...

Oh, you better watch out with
this one,cute,smart and social!
Most like her mom, right? :)
Have a eggcelent day!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome she's made friends for you. Yes, I'm fearful for her future hubby. Waterworks get to most men and mommies.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand...you hunt for eggs without a parka and gloves? No computing.

I swear I can hear her little voice saying "I wanted a BWOO egg!"

Stephanie said...

I love it! So cute and smart to boot!

Nissa said...

Whew! I started out reading, thinking 'oh no, Amy's going to tell a terrible story about how the other kids ran over Kathryn to get all the eggs, and then all the mommies were not nice and left her out.'
I don't know why I'm so pessimistic sometimes! Maybe it's because it seems like everyone is having dramas with playgroups & social groups lately.
That's awesome that she not only made some friends but made yours for you, too! :)

krissy said...

That is just wonderful.....
I would totally hunt for the blue eggs too!! :-)

just jamie said...

Awww. I'm feeling all sorry for her. At least she wasn't picky on which shade of blue, like my son.

Good social networking. And did you only say you like the Mommies you met because they might be reading your blog one day? :) So kidding.

girlymom said...

She is one clever little girl! I can't believe she duh'ed you, sorry but that is funny!

Have a great Easter weekend!

Anonymous said...

How cute that she's planning your social engagements now. Your own personal ice breaker.

I also adore the way she got what she wanted and walked off smirking. Too funny. Just out of curiosity, is she a scorpio?

ALF said...

so cute!

She wasn't asking you, she was quizzing you. Duh.

Amy said...

She is cute and whitty! Happy Easter!

Amy said...

She is smart, cute and friendly! A triple threat.

Momisodes said...

What a clever one you have there!
That photo is so cute with her basket :)

We're in the asking phase now too...oh will the questions ever end!!?!

Brittany said...

Orcas eat sharks? aw... I didn't know that... :(

Karen MEG said...

Oh you're in big trouble with this smart little cutie!

Burgh Baby said...

I think we're ALL in trouble with that one! If she has already mastered the art of getting her way via a few tears, there will be no stopping her in a few years.

I might as well just hand over all my blue eggs right now.

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Fun egg hunt in warm weather! The 3 year old moms sound a lot nicer than the 5th grade moms! Good for you to go to a new group!
Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

aww how cute!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, she should use this tactic with her husband on her B-day's...tears when the blue box from Tiffany's does not arrive...yes, she can do this.

Caffeine Court said...

It's not an Easter Egg Hunt unless someone cries! I'm glad it worked out for her...I have a feeling it always does! :)

Irene said...

How funny! My 6 yo has animal genius. She played it nonstop when she first got it. And she continually amazed me at how much she learned. She was constantly flooring random people with her amazing animal facts.

OHmommy said...

Emma... is sucha princess. I love it.

LunaNik said...

"I haven't seen that on Diego."

Bwahaha!! That's great!

And, yes, it sounds like your little girl is quite the pro at manipulation. Bravo to her. Chances are that skill will get her many things in life!

Don Mills Diva said...

She's very impressive - maybe she'll be a veternarian - she seems to have a keen interest in animal habits!

Tara R. said...

What a sad face. I'm glad she got her blue eggs, and you found some new mommy friends.

blog hoppin' - etcetera

Anonymous said...

SO cute. My daughter is a picky egg-getter. She won't pick up the 'ugly' ones.

Laski said...

She is so bright. How do they grow to be so smart?!? Wow! She knew what she wanted and she went to get it . . . that is a trait that will most definitely come in handy.

Must have a smart mom :)

What a doll!

April said...

I love it when our kids do the dirty work for us :)

Blog Hoppin',
Balancing Hops

JKMN said...

Cute Kathryn. Nathan did the same thing one year - only picking up green eggs when he was still in his green obsession phase. Luckily that is over now. But we do have a few camo eggs - maybe I shouldn't hide those.

Momo Fali said...

I'm looking to buy a new car. Can I bring her with me to work her magic on the salesman? She sounds sly and skillful!

Nicole Brady said...

I can't believe your 3 year old duh'd you! That's a riot.

Mr Lady said...

Oh My God.

Your girl is a WINGMAN. A good wingman. That is a highly sought-after skill. Work it, momma.

Unknown said...

OMG, the "what" and "why" stage never ends, does it?

Right now we're in, "What's dat?", "What's dis?"....

TO EVERYTHING!!

KJ said...

I read this the other day, but didn't comment. Don't you wish people would always comment? I do. Comments are fun. So here I am. Blue eggs rock. How cute is that?

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.