Abby had her very first horse show today!Don't let the abercrombie jacket fool you, this is my country girl. If she had her way, she'd be in jeans and boots everyday, country music blaring on the radio. But I tend to influence a bit, she's in flip flops and suffers through top 40.
She's got a heart of gold and a love for horses like you would not believe. Everyday she puts on her lucky horseshoe necklace, it means the world to her. She has no problem getting down and dirty. This is the thing that she loves the most, and today it definitely showed.
It was our first experience and we did not know what to expect, but what a great time! Loads of families in the pasture with their lawn chairs, all being so supportive of all the riders. The weather was beautiful, a little windy, but a gorgeous day. The smell of horse poop... Oh, thank goodness we all wore sneakers ;-)
Abby entered two events. Her first event was just a walk/trot but she got assigned the orneriest horse EVER! That damn Rocky must have had a burr under his saddle or something because he was raring to do his own thing. Abby tried hard to get him to listen and fall in line, but it was a no go. The judges did let her know that they were very impressed with her attempts to keep Rocky in line, but Rocky is a bullheaded horse. She placed fifth. I loved how everyone gave her positive feedback and reassurance that she was great, but the horse was BAD! Of course we were a little worried because she was to ride him in the next event as well.
Her second event was the figure eight, and how surprised were we when she came out on sweet Patches. Abby had NEVER done a figure eight before so we were not too sure how this one was going to go. We were just so excited to have the experience of a horse show, it wouldn't have mattered if she just walked around in a circle. But sweet Patches listened the whole time and maintained a trot throughout a perfect figure eight! If you would have seen me, I was BEAMING! I was so, so happy for my girl! And she placed second!
So here's some shots of my sweet Abby at her first horse show. I hope there are many more to come. It was an awesome experience and I just can't tell you all how proud of her I am!
![]() |
| Make a slideshow - it's easy! |



33 comments:
Way to go Abby!!!! :) Looks like a GREAT time! :)
Impressive.
Personally, I am scared of horses. They are beautiful majestic creatures, but I am scared of anything bigger than a cat. Actually, I am scared of stuff smaller than a cat too - mice, chipmunks, etc.
KEEP BELIEVING
Awesome job, Abby! She looks like a natural. Which is important in the shows. Can't wait for more pictures.
Yay, for Abby!
Congrats to Abby!
Color me impressed by her ability to control an ornery horse.
Congrats!!! I love horses so much!
She looks so great! :)
Yay Abby!! So proud of you!
That is too cool....WAy to go!
awesome!! i think it's so great when kids have a passion for something besides video games!!!
good job, abby!! keep it up!!
xoxo
She looks like a natural! Nice job Abby!
P.S. I have an award waiting for you on my blog!
Aw. The look on her face in the majority of pictures shows her passion! What a sweetheart.
Wow! Look at her! That is fabulous! Way to go Abby!
I think she has a bright future on the "Mounted Police Force" of some big city.
Well done.
Abby rocks! I can imagine you all proud & smiling at that wonderful figure eight maneuver! This post really makes me smile!
Hugs!
Awwwww.... Abby. Way to go.
You can tell, by the look on her face, that she has passion. What a beautiful thing!
So sweet!
how fun and great photos!
Oh, A! She's so happy with herself. What a great way to have a hobby outdoors.
That's awesome!
Congrats Abby!!!!!
Seriously, what a great job. I've always wanted to go horseback riding but have never gotten up the nerve to go. I guess horses intimidate me a little bit.
That's great! Congratulations Abby!
Giddy-up Abby! My daughter does horse competitions as well. She loves it too! She would much rather be on a horse than anywhere else in the world! Have fun!
Horses! I'm so jealous! Good for her, that's awesome.
I am sure you are so proud! What a great hobby for her!
That is so great! Way to go Abby:)
I love this!
My aunt trained horses when I was growing up, so I spent a lot of time at her ranch helping her. I still remember the first time I got a horse to go backwards.
Abby looks so happy. I'm glad her first competition was a success!
I love those photos! Abby looks wonderful :) 2nd place in her first show! Congratulations!!! What a very special day.
hi, first time here.
WOW!! Second place that is AWESOME.. she really does look like a natural!!!
Yeah, Abby! Tell her congrats on the show. What determination she has! The slideshow and your comments were so sweet, Amy. I bet you were proud. :)
OK - the shot with the FAB smile AND the two ribbons with the "We're so proud of you" just made me choke up...so sweet - YEEE HAW! :)
Congrats to her! She looks great in the saddle!
Very sweet. I had a horse as a child and loved it. Good for her, it takes confidence.
Is it ok if I have a favorite brat? You know I just love Abby - she is just so genuine. Plus I think she is the only one of your kids we can influence to go to A&M. Next time you come visit, we will play lots of country music in her honor ;-)
Post a Comment