Friday, March 14, 2008

Like Totally, Fer Sure

Last weekend Alli was invited to her friend's 80s themed party. At first Alli did NOT want to dress up, which was fine, kept me from having to run all over and find the perfect outfit for her, not to mention she is quite hard to please, so I'm sure I would have jacked it up anyway. Well at the last minute she decided she did in fact want to dress up. At which point I informed her that she had lost her right to bitch, moan, whine, or complain about any ideas I had.

So we pulled out an old shirt of mine that I wore for an 80s party a few years back, got her some black leggings and headed to Claires. Oh how Claires makes my head spin, but for things like this, you cannot beat that store! We found plenty of obnoxious, big, plastic jewelry and were on our way. Except...

Hair. My hairdressing skills are nonexistent. I either pull my own back in a ponytail or douse it with sprunch spray and dry it with the diffuser. That's it. That's the extent of beauty shop by Amy. So for Alli to have that perfect, big 80s hair, we had to seek outside help. And the hairdressers were sitting in my driveway having a cocktail or two! Lisa and Melissa wowed us with their abilities with the curling iron, hair spray and scrunchie and teasing techniques and were having a bit too much fun I think. I say wowed, I was impressed, Alli was a bit scared, but the end result was PERFECT!

She had fun at the party. Not as much as she would have liked. See, my sweet, polite girl left her cell phone at home because she thought it would be rude to have it there. Since it was a party and everyone was going to be hanging out and talking. Except she was the only one not "talking" because the little twerps were all "texting" the people is the same damn room! Am I wrong, is there something just not right about the communication skills of our youth?

Seeing her all done up brought back a few memories from that time. I say a few. Because I used to have the memory of a freaking elephant. And then I started spitting out kids and each one took a bigger part of my brain with them when they exited the vessel. And now I can't even remember what I walked into a room for.

So some of my fondest memories from the 80s are...

Roller Skating. Oh man, how I loved skating at the rink. I had a birthday party there once. And I know I was a cutie with my matching red and white striped headband and legwarmers. I loved all the corny things they did like reverse skate, couples skate, girls only, the Hokey Pokey. I LOVED the roller rink! Which is probably why I loved Xanadu. And now I'm sad there are no roller rinks around for me to take my girls too. And I've tried the roller blading thing, twice. And you know where I landed? On my ass. I need me some old school skates baby!

Gizmo. That little dude was so stinking cute! I remember the movie scaring the be-jeebus out of me, but I could not get enough of that furry little critter. How could something so cute produce such unruly, disobedient, messy, troublesome offspring. And then I look at my children and I totally understand. Kidding. Mostly.

Music. I could go on and on and on about the music. I love when I drive hubby's truck with his satellite radio and I can put it on the 80s station. I frequently tune in on our satellite TV music channels too whenever I am trying to do something productive around here, like fold laundry. The music was fun! And I think the album that I most remember jamming out to back then and still do now was Licensed to Ill. Seriously, the Beastie Boys were the coolest thing since sliced bread. And they annoyed my mom to no end and that was great. Kinda like Hannah Montana now. I'm sorry Mom.

Well I'm sure I could come up with more but I'm more interested to know what you loved most about the 80s.

So go, like tell me what you liked. Like, I'm totally waiting. Totally.

51 comments:

Irene said...

Hi there! Oh, I loved the 80's. But I am old, the 80's were my HS and college years.

The best part of the 80's was definitely the music. Definitely. The alternative stuff from the 80's was the best.

Katie Ryan said...

Well, let's see. The first thing that comes to mind for me is Michael Jackson and the one silver glove .. oh, and the moon walk. And then in the late 80's I was all about Bon Jovi. And let's not forget folding those jeans real tight at the ankles. Remember that?

Anonymous said...

First of all, Kudos to you and your hair dressers. She looks like she stepped right out of "Desperately Seeking Susan"

Oh yeah, I'm with penny on the jeans folding... and tucking them into the socks. How about the elf boots? Or the brightly colored neon clothing.... belts wrapped multiple times around..

ohhh,,, Dolphin shorts.

so many things. lol

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Well, the 80's only produced, like, the best movies EVER! 16 Candles, The Princess Bride, Ferris Buehler's Day Off, Pretty Woman, Flashdance - need I say more?

Beastie Boys ruled my heart, as did Duran Duran. I also loved the whole - not on radio, alternative, punk music that sprouted in the 80's - loved finding it and thinking I was cool enough to listen to it. I wasn't.

Units - I TOTALLY loved Units stores. The units belt. the sloppy tees, the leggings. LOVED THEM!!!!


What about the added 4 inches in height (at 5'2", I needed it) I got from my teased up, over-frosted, permed, bangs. Oh yeah, gotta love that.

KEEP BELIEVING

suchsimplepleasures said...

the 80's music was, like so bitchen...for sure!
and the john hughes movies...like don't gag me with a spoon...i'm like so sure!
and, like oh my god, can you believe the neon?! like, fer sure!!
like so valley girl, like, oh my god, gag me with a pitchfork!
duran duran, sigh...
too bad those years went by so fast!!
xoxo

Katie said...

Like I TOTALLY liked all the 80's pop songs like Paula Abdul etc. and hello Bon Jovi (what a hottie~still ;) ) I will also admit that I always said 'like'~Boy that was hard to get out of my vocab! ;) Hope you have a great Friday!! By the way, awesome pic of Alli!!

Sarabeth said...

I'm with you on the music and the roller skating. Can you believe that in New Orleans, on the west bank, there is a roller skating rink? My six year old had a blast at a party there in January.

I loved the clothes then. I had a great pair of Esprit capri pants with paint splatters on them. Loved those.

MommyTime said...

Those little boots that looked like 1920s football shoes -- and you had to wear them over two pairs of different color socks. HUGE belts. "Crazy for You" (ahhh... Madonna in the good old days). And all your hair swept into a ponytail on the SIDE of your head for dressy occasions. The 80s were so super-stylish!

jenny said...

i love the 80's. this post made me laugh. she was rocking the 80's look for sure!

Amy said...

Wow! This picture brings back memories. I just started singing Duran Duran!

She is very pretty!

I just can't believe about the texting thing. I guess I am totally out of the loop.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Sarah said...

Girl, I had the coolest red parachute pants EVER. And my brother had a genuine black leather Member's Only jacket. He was cool, I think. I was geeky...I know.

Kat said...

Oh going to the rollar rink on a Friday night. Was there anything better? Loved it.
Love the pic. She looks so authentic!

LunaNik said...

First of all she looks great!! LOVE the hair!

And I was a bit young in the 80s. I could only really appreciate the tail end of the era. But, I do remember Micheal Jackson (loved him), slouchy socks, high top sneakers tied loosely, scrunchies in EVERY color, rubber bracelets, and BIG earrings.

Anonymous said...

How fun! She looks great!

I just watched the end of VH1's best of the 80's last night, and the #1 song was Livin On A Prayer by Bon Jovi. Dh was watching it with me just shaking his head as I was singing along at full volume. He then got a little more offended when I said JBJ looked MUCH better now then he did in the 80's.

Totally the music was the best! Totally!

Burgh Baby said...

Holy smokes did the hairdressers nail it! She looks fabulous, top to bottom (well, at least the parts I can see from the photo).

The best thing about the 80's was that I wasn't in high school yet, so I didn't get totally swept up in the bad fashion. Just mostly. Remember the technicolor t-shirts? You know, the ones that advertised that you were smokin' hot because they changed color when the fabric was warm? I had two. If I had been in high school when those hit, I bet I would have had ten. Whew! Dodged that bullet!

Stephanie said...

SHE-RA!! Haha - I was a child in the 80's so that was my favorite thing!

And I think you did awesome on her look - Claire's is the perfect place to go for that! Fun stuff! I had an 80's themed co-ed wedding shower - it was fun to see what everyone came up with!

Karen Erickson said...

How cute she looks - the hair is perfect, the outfit, everything!

I am a product of the 80s, graduated high school in 88. Gaaah, 20 year reunion this summer! So I am a big fan of the decade. Love the music best. :)

OHmommy said...

Heeheee... I thought you were going to say that was a picture of you from the 80s.

She looks authentic!

Miss Lisa said...

'NO SLEEP TIL BROOKLYN er, college' has been my theme song since my first was born--I heart the Beastie Boys!! (well I really LOVED John Taylor and Simon LeBon)
I grew up in the -80s and I gotta say I don't think I care to relive the high pants, fleurescent bangles and permed hair gelled to one side!
Your daughter however is adorable--you did great!

MarĂ­a said...

I think she looks great!

I'm not old enough to remember the 80's well. I was born in '84. Love the music and movies though.

La Familia Garcia said...

She looks perfect, like she walked right out of the 80s. I remember "I think we're alone now" was big w/ Tiffany! Your daughter fits right in.

Anonymous said...

If you gett oodles of free time you need to check out my Halloween costume & post. I hit Claire's, too.

I wish I could relive the 80s all over. My radio station is XM 8...all 80s all the time.

And, she looks PERFECT!

Momo Fali said...

The only thing I can look back on and say I REALLY liked about the 80's is that I didn't have any responsibilities!! I mean, I had school and my fun after-school job, but that was it. The 80's were just FUN. The fashion and music were pretty hideous, but still...it was just fun.

Momisodes said...

OMG! The hair! I think the 80's alone depleted most of the ozone layer from just the hairspray :)

I love the pic, she looks, like so rad man!

Anonymous said...

I have to echo OhMommy.. she really does look authentic!

And I am glad the 80's are over.. though I love to listen to the 80's channel in the truck too!!!

(I was a horrible, ugly, acne ridden heavy teenager.. the 80's makes me cringe.. LOL)

Tara R. said...

I was more a kid of the 70, but the 80s were still fun times. Your girl looks great! Perfect 80s coif and the whole early Madonna look is awesome.

Nissa said...

I loved dressing like Madonna when she appeared on the scene- the hairbow, fingerless lace gloves...

And at roller skating Four Corners(remember that skate night game?)

Music was awesome, TV shows were wholesome, yet funny(Cosby, Family Ties, Growing Pains.....)

I loved the 80's!
Alli looked great! I think it's terrible that not everyone teaches their kids that spending the whole time talking on the phone(or texting) is not cool when you're at a party.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I was all about the Guess jeans with tight cuffed and folded ankles, Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen.

OK, OK-so I was basically born in the 80's, but I remember.

jessica said...

she looks so 80s!

i fondly remember jelly shoes and wholesome sitcoms :) also phones with cords that lit up, that was my highlight as a teen - ha ha! yay for the 80s.

Narci D said...

Alli looks awesome!

Don't remember much from the 80s! ;)

Mr Lady said...

Roller Skating!

Gizmo!

*Snort!*

It's true, we're old. But, damn that kid of yours can rock the 80's!

The Mrs. said...

Like totally man. She looks adorable. Great job! I am so proud she didn't want to bring her cell phone!!! Good girl!

Chanin said...

Your daughter looks awesome! I loved the 80s! I Loved Roller Skating too and the music!! Let's see I loved the clothes, as terrible as they seem now and the Hair Bands. Man, I miss those days!! Oh yeah, and the TV shows from then were great too!

Anonymous said...

Ali,

You look fabulous darling! Amy, great job...Janet

Rachel said...

OOOOHHHHHHHHHH.. she looks totally rad dudette!
I loved pegged jeans, huge bangs and aquanet, frosted lipgloss and eyeshadow, Fame, Madonna, I could go on and on and on!

Anonymous said...

so adorable!! :)

Unknown said...

Wow, you were one of the super ladies of the 80s?? They were awesome! All of my cousins were 80's teens and I LOVED watching them get ready to go out for the night.

Your girl looks fabulous! I would totally dig being invited to an 80's party. Good job, mama!

Anonymous said...

Oh god the rollerskating...double-skate, backwards skate to REO Speedwagon in the dark, under the disco ball, with the POM-POMS on our skates...sigh. I think I had that outfir she is wearing.

Spookygirl said...

Like Oh My God! Totally Awesome job mama!!

Best part about the 80's DURAN DURAN!!

As Cape Cod Turns said...

I think I wore that outfit in 1982!
I also LOVED rollerskating! So much fun and so much heartbreak. Will that cute boy ask me to skate during couple's skate? My bff, Melissa and I would go any chance we got!
We don't have rollerskating here. My girls can go to Rock Night at the ice-skating rink. Was it really that dark and loud when we went rollerskating?

pb&j in a bowl said...

OMG! She looks like she stepped straight out of Dirty Dancing- my fave from the 80s.

JEWELGIRL said...

They had 80's day at school.
It was so totally awesome to
dress my daughter up. Big hair,
leggings,a sweater dress and shortie boots.
She says mom are you sure they
wore this? I said like Totally sure!

Anonymous said...

No doubt you nailed the outfit. An 80's party sounds like fun, hair bands and all.

Blog Hoppin - Chas

BookMamma said...

LOVED the skating rink! It was THE place to be on a Saturday night. Had my mom drop me off at the rink with my stonewashed jeans with the pink suspenders and the red lips on the leg (I kid you not), and parked my butt on the sidelines a few yards from that cute boy with the mullet hair and anxiously waited for the couple skate to come around.

Good times.

Weekend Bloghopping early tonight! Got a sitter and a hot date with hubs. I think we might go to Costco... bow chicka bow bow!

TZT said...

The skating rink ruled! For some reason, it's been coming back into vogue around here.

A lot of the music didn't hold up so well for me (I have some kind of physical aversion to Genesis), but I'm amazed by what does.

Why do I love the Beastie Boys more now than I did then?

-Bloghopping...

Maureen said...

Great outfit! Wish she had a better time, though...

Maureen
Blog Hoppin'

April said...

The teen angst movies, definitely! I just caught some of Pretty in Pink on HBO the other night. ahhh...remember when life was so simple?

Blog Hoppin',
Balancing Hops

Didi said...

Y'all sure have some fun parties there in H-town! Too cute!

Dawn said...

Oh! We had a cat that we nicknamed "Giz" - good times! :)

Alli looks great. Hope she had fun!

And can we say "blue eyeshadow?"

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Are you kidding me? I WAS the 80s. If you look it up in the dictionary you'll see a picture of me.

The best part of the 80s for me was my super-mullet. I was very proud of that sucker.

blog hoppin

Cynthia said...

The 80's...best music decade ever!!! I so miss the 80's music. Love satellite radio I can pretend it is still the Duran Duran heyday!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.