While I may be a natural woman, I am so not a nature girl.
I share this because we are leaving for what we call The Property. Which is a cabin in the middle of nowhere that Steven's dad built while hubs was growing up. There's a pier out to the lake for fishing, acres and acres of woods for exploring, a giant swing for swinging, a zip line for zipping, a fire pit for cooking smores, a tractor for a hay ride and all sorts of other good fun. EXCEPT, did you read middle of nowhere? Well I take that back, it's in the middle of a billion bugs, snakes, and little critters. I don't do so well with vermin.
We're going because I said last week, you know dear it might be fun to take the girls to The Property, it might be a good little experience for them. And hopefully if they get enough exposure to it at a young age, they might not grow up to be the scared, wimpy little nature hater their momma is. You know their momma who when she goes away for the weekend is thinking more along the lines of a turn down service and a chocolate mint on the pillow and lounging by the pool with a cocktail and the ability to dial up some french fries at 2 am?
I'm not at all sure at what point in my life I turned into this girly-girl princess type. There was a time where I would jump in a lake and not worry about what was nibbling at my toes, climb a tree, bait a hook, hang my butt off the side of the pier and pee in a lake or poke dead things with a stick. But now, hmm, I'm stressing to find that pair of jeans that aren't designer name and digging through my closet to locate a pair of tennis shoes that aren't Ed Hardy, because my wardrobe is not geared for the great outdoors. Oh, and there's no running water or internet. I'm trying to decide which I'm going to miss more...
But the girls are excited, well most of them. Princess might be too far down in the path of her momma's footsteps to turn back. And really I am looking forward to it, I'm excited to see how they do and to see Steven and his dad in their element. We've been in the past (although it's been a few years) and always had a great time. And I will have a good time as long as the bugs stay away. And my husband wakes up to walk me to the bathroom in the middle of the night. And I don't have to touch any worms while we're fishing. And I don't step in poison ivy. And the A/C in the cabin works. And I win at all the board games. And my steak's not overcooked.
See, I'm really not all that high-maintenance.
Bulk purchase smoke 1775856595534-4
5 months ago


21 comments:
You and I are so alike! I am Miss Anti-Nature... I can't stand taking my kids outside because of the bugs, but I have to do it. At least there are no bugs in the winter here, but it's too damn cold to do anything outside most of the time.
Amy,
I have spent the last three days clearing all the bugs from the Property...See you tomorrow...Love Janet
Oh good lord, let me give you the name of my well-driller STEVE. No water? Eeks! I'd be out...really out.
I can so relate to you on this one! My husband is all about the outdoors and my boys are too! I am afraid I'm just outnumbered. They are already planning our camping trips for the summer - ugh!!!
I guess I have to go with the flow.
Last time we went camping. Everyone slept in a tent and I slept in the car.
I hate bugs.
Uh, I know exactly when you turned into a 'Girly Girl', it was when I told you the Winnie the Pooh sweatshirts and scrunchies had to be disposed of PRONTO.
You guys will have a great time, I am so jealous we can't be out there with you guys!! We have had so much fun, channel that time that we ate Brent's flank steaks and he cried, or when we stayed on the river for 2 hours too long and Steven was pissed that the chicken wasn't going to be cooked through....that was FUN E!!!
I don't think I could ever be that brave! I love air conditioning and indoor plumbing way too much.
Good luck, nature girl!
This is hilarious. I love places like this. Honestly. But I know they're not for everyone. I think part of my fondness, though, stems from my mother's love of camping that she instilled in us while young. So I think you are doing the right thing in taking the girls there, if you want them to love nature more than you do. Good luck. And I wish you many perfect steaks and excellent star gazing...
A long time ago I too would have considered myself a "nature girl." I have no idea what happened. Maybe it was my growing appreciation for indoor plumbing combined with my ever growing disdain for things crawling on me.
Amy-I am so with you on this! I hate bugs and no running water...ummmm...I don't know if I could handle that! I hope you guys have fun though! Can't wait to hear about it!
Good luck!
Hmm, you look a lot more relaxed and natural in the beach chair with an adult beverage in your hand (last post). Hope the bugs aren't biting and the fish are(for your girls and husband anyway)!
I can TOTALLY relate! i am so not the outside type! When i found out I was having a boy, I think I cried! lol Sweat, bugs, fishing, drt, ext was not what I had in mind! I'm sure it will be fun though! Cant wait to hear the update when yall get back!
Do you know about hot rock?. Collect a bunch of flat rocks from near the water. Bake them on cookie sheets for two hours at 200 degrees.
While they are baking peel the paper off a bunch of crayons. When they come out have the kids hold the crayons onto the hot rocks, pushing down slightsly. Hold two ro three at once and watch the colors swirl and melt on. Let them cool, and aterward you will have pretty paperweights and feel like you really got into the whole nature thing.....
I think you and I are far too much alike. Despite a childhood of tomboyishness, I'm too girly girly now to even think of roughing it.
I know.
My husband and I used to hike into the wilderness and camp in a tent, of all things!
Now, I can't imagine camping without my trailer, the shower, the ac, the refrigerator. . .
Have a great time!
Who said, "My idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn without a remote control?" I'm sure you'll have some great stories to tell when you get back! :)
Roughing it is hard. I know it can give you a reality check and all and I understand the reason to "rough it" once in awhile but my limit to roughing it is about a day! Then I throw in the towel.
Give me a four star hotel over a musty cabin in the words any day.
Hope you have/had a great time!
I'm right there with you. Last time we went camping, I brought my curling iron and blow dryer. Yeah right!!
But, what is great about you is that while you know this about yourself, you are still going with a good attitude for your girls. What a Mom! :)
Post a Comment