Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I Love the Burbs!

We have this Internet message board thing for our neighborhood. Most messages are just crap about who's selling what, or lost dogs or cats, which dentist is the best, etc...

Every now and then you get the thread that just pisses people off. Like the fact that cats aren't on a leash, or that the new pool awnings are blue and won't match the green and brown playground equipment, or that apartments are going to be built within a 10 mile radius of our patch of heaven. Whatever...

But some of these people get up in arms about some of these posts and let me tell you, the claws come out! I think one time there was actually going to be a fight after school on the playground, this is serious stuff. Because opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. And everyone wants you to be sure that you know where they stand. Especially if they post under a false name.

So most of the messages I delete. That's the beauty of the topic line, I read only what interests me. And I don't get caught up in the drama, because really I have enough within my own household. But I just so happened to read one of the threads today. There was a posting about when and where some Girl Scout Cookies were going to be sold. And this was a response:

I'm going to scream if I have another girl scout push cookies on me while I walk into a store! We are all fat enough! It's impossible to go shopping anymore without some church, boy/girl scout, high school band, etc pushing something on people. I know it's for a cause but GIVE ME A BREAK!

Fair enough. The asshole is entitled to his opinion. And then this reply:

Wow, you really try to get a rise out of people! Really, who wouldn't like a cookie that has every bad thing possible?! The coconut ones I was eating last night had sugar, enriched flour, high fructose corn syrup, and hydrogenated palm oil. That's 5 for 5 of the bad ingredients.

Okay, whatever. But then the guy, oh this funny man, goes and posts this:

This is a public announcement message:

Calling all moms, easy on the coconut ones please. I won't have anything to look at during the soccer games or swim meets! Thank you...

Which set off a whole slew of oh my gosh, this is sexual harassment, this man should be banned from the board, I can't believe anyone would be so rude.... yada, yada, yada.

Am I wrong to find this all just a wee bit HILARIOUS?? Do these people really have nothing better to do with their time? Sure it was a crude remark, but it was kinda funny.

And since I only eat THIN mints, maybe he'll be checking out my ass this summer!

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. I love those posts. My small town has a message board, and I promise there is a thread called, "WHO IS A CHEATER??" And it goes on to list everyone in the town who is cheating on their spouse and with whom they are cheating with.

Ed (zoesdad) said...

Our little town needs a board like that. I'm always so far outside of the loop.

That is some funny stuff!

Katie Ryan said...

That is hilarious! But, yeah, I know how those message boards go. Our neighborhood has one, and everybody is always wanting to complain about the tiniest little thing.

Stephanie said...

Oh now this is HILARIOUS! I love it...I think I would have fallen over laughing if I'd read that on my board. Don't you wish you knew who some of these people were? Haha!

Amy said...

Oh the drama! It must make things interesting!

Cynthia said...

Good Lord!

pb&j in a bowl said...

Can I move to your neighborhood? Sounds like a blast! That is too funny! I probably would have made some snarky remark about man boobs and gotten kicked off the board.

As Cape Cod Turns said...

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one"
OK, that statement was funny!

I just love when someone doesn't see the humor in an email. Maybe you should write one back that says, "Get a life, people!"

OHmommy said...

I think his LAST comment is freaking hysterical.

LMAO. So funny!

Sarah said...

That is TOO funny! I love the last comment too!

Stephanie said...

Oh wow..I was laughing reading that! That is hilarious!!

Missy said...

I love these kind of message boards. I always find it funny to read ones about celebrities - people have such strong opinions about who is dating who and who is having who's baby. And people get so mad!! what a waste of energy!

Kat said...

That is hilarious! People get upset about the strangest things.

Anonymous said...

You had better put that 'Trailer Park' mat out- STAT!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

This cracks me up, but doesn't surprise me at all. I used to belong to a brain tumor message board. I couldn't believe the things people would choose to fight over when they were supposed to be supporting and informing other brain tumor families. People need to feel validated and will just vent an opinion or bitch about anything to do so.

Me? I choose to blog...and wait for comments. (tee hee)

KEEP BELIEVING

Momisodes said...

ROFL! That is hilarious!!!
People need to lighten up ;)

Anonymous said...

Chill out people! Gee whiz. The neighborhood next to mine is so cookie cutter they literally have a mandate on everything down to the kind of mulch allowed. That's Burb gone TOOO far! OH, I thought it was funny.

Rachael said...

I think his message is pretty damn funny! but those people seriously need to get a life!

LunaNik said...

Man alive people are crazy, eh?

I hate message boards for just that reason. Too much of the drama goin' on for me. Like you, I have enough going on in my own family to worry about that shit.

It is funny to read though, isn't it??

Dreams and Designs said...

Uh oh--- the coconut ones are my favorite...

Brittany said...

LOL! I love it. That is so hilarious. People need to lighten up!

JEWELGIRL said...

Our whole city has a board like
this. It's our local newspaper
web site! If you want to know
what is Really going on in the
city all you have to do is read it. You get the raw truth and
the opinions of the loonies in
the city!

Alex Elliot said...

I was laughing when I read your post. I'm glad my town doesn't have one of those because I know I would somehow sucked into it.

ALF said...

That is awesome. People are awesome. I have my own particular hatred for the Girl Scouts AND their cookies.

Caffeine Court said...

Ohhh...I should start one in my town and throw out some controversial topics, then I can sit back and enjoy the fireworks!

just jamie said...

I've seen you around and finally stopped by. Glad I did. Hilarious stuff. I'll be back.

Amy said...

THIN mint!
LOL

I think the guys comment was hilarious! I can't believe so many people took him serious.

Anonymous said...

haha. Ok, that's hilarious. Not necessarily the remark, but the huge stir it caused. You're right, don't these people have anything better to do?

Unknown said...

I would so be all over a board like that... that guy who posted the last comment would be my best friend - the guy has a sense of humor, unlike some of the other "community commandos" I'm sure!

Momo Fali said...

Absolutely hilarious! I find a good debate healthy, but over Girl Scout cookies?! What a riot!

girlymom said...

I got a kick out of it... great sense of humor and yes I think they need a new hobby, C'mon picking on the girl scouts...where is their self control, nobody makes them actually eat the cookies! HA

BookMamma said...

I am laughing my fat, Samoa-addicted ass off right now!! That is the funniest thing I have heard all week. These folks need to get a hobby or some, um... OTHER action ASAP.

I wish our neighborhood had one of those there message board thingys to entertain me.

Chanin said...

This is so funny! We have a board here like that too. I have been ignoring it lately because I found out that everyone on there is crazy...lol anyway, I only eat THIN mints too!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.