Poor Steven, all morning whenever he would refer to the little critter, he'd say "he" this and "he" that. The look on Steven's face when I informed him that they were only girl hamsters at the pet store was one I think I'll never forget! Really, not even a boy hamster? Utter despair and loneliness, that's what my man felt.
We went to the store, Emma played around with a few. Any that rolled on their back or starting hissing I immediately vetoed, no matter how cute they were. The pet store guy was once again singing the praises of rats and how smart and sweet they are. I once again said TAIL. That's all it is, the tail completely wigs me out!
Emma had it narrowed down to two critters and the ultimate deciding factor was that the dwarf hamster is a less agressive breed. So that's what we went with, because there is already enough turmoil and drama in this house. A laid back hamster is what we required.
Here's Miss Emma with her new friend in its cardboard box. She's saying something like "Mom hurry up and take the picture, I'm freezing." I'm saying something like "Well the next time I tell you to grab a jacket, maybe you'll listen". These life lessons are tough!
The cage was a lot of fun to put together. (Please read the previous sentence with a sarcastic tone.) But when it was all over, look how stinkin' cute it is!!
And, drumroll please, here's the newest addition to our home, she's quite camera shy and really fast so this is the best picture we could get:

Introducing Squiggles!!


6 comments:
Yah Emma! I bet she is just thrilled to have her own pet. Alli really wants a guinea pig....we have told her when she is seven years old she can get one. I am hoping she will forget about it by then!
#1 have you ever seen a boy hamster? you are better off that you got a girl unless you wanted your littles ones to start asking a lot of questions about the huge "bottom" on the boy hamster.
#2 those things don't live for shit, i think isabelle went through 3 or 4 before we finally didn't replace it. i recommend the old "we are taking the hamster to the animal hospital lie" or the "we took the hamster to the pet store to play with their friends, now let's go back and get them" lie hoping there is one that looks like the one that died.
#3 poor steven. just more estrogen in the house to deal with
#4 why the hell would you ever start edge over portis?
We got Madison a hamster for her sixth birthday. We soon learned that she couldn't sleep with the hamster in her room because it made too much noise at night (and because Maddie has super sonic hearing). So...the rat-thing had to live downstairs with us. (We didn't have an upstairs gameroom at the time). Hope you have better luck with avoiding the rat. Our's was named Candy. I was happy when he died. Because I'm an ogre.
I hate the smell - oh goodness - the smell - even the CLEAN cage smell - BUT I do LOVE the name - Squiggles - how cute! :)
Squiggles is adorable--I'm just glad that she's at your house! Congrats, Emma!
Emma,have fun and when Mommy tells you NO, just take Squiggles into her bed in the middle of the night...
You should get the hamster car. It is a hamster wheel inside of a plastic car, it is a riot to see them rolling around the house in their barbie car....haha
Post a Comment