The evening started off with the girls getting their new fancy-schmancy dresses. Then Emma and Abby got a crash course in what all of us females must go through... the art of putting on pantyhose. Oh what a sight! Walking towards me with the crotch down to the knees, screaming "Mom, these don't fit!" And I, who I think may have worn pantyhose once in the last two years, trying to explain how to put them on. Start at the toes, gently pull the hose up section by section, don't use your nails you'll cause a run, sorry did I pinch your knee?, okay now pull at the waist and do three plie's, voila' we're done!
They got all dressed up still not knowing where they were going and I called them downstairs to read a story before we left. Of course the book was The Nutcracker and those smart girls put it together and were so excited! I took my three princesses and away we went.
I have always enjoyed seeing the ballet, Broadway shows, even an occasional opera. And whenever I have been able to go to one of these events I don't even think twice about the fact that I am wearing something that requires heels, hose, and makeup. Really I think it's part of the fun, because when in my daily life do I get to do something like that? It's my fault I guess, that I expect other people to treat the theater with the same respect. I mean I own jeans that cost almost 300 bucks, am I wearing them to the ballet? No!
I was shocked at the number of people walking around in blue jeans, Wranglers at that! Then you had the goth girl with her super short black mini and lace-up combat boots. There was a lady in the parking lot who obviously just stuck her head in a vat of bleach, I have never seen blonder, more fried hair in my life. At least she had the good sense to wear a black velvet pant suit. Yeah, she was real classy in that suit and her big red plaid bow in her hair, especially when she spit out her wad of chewing tobacco right before entering Wortham Center. And many, many other questionable patrons mixed in with ladies who were dripping in diamonds, furs, and ball gowns. Quite a sight!

We rode the escalator up from the street level and arrived in the lobby. The girls were amazed at how pretty it all was. It was beautifully decorated for the holidays. Now this is a gingerbread house!

The girls were mesmerized by the ballet, I was a little afraid that Emma would be bored, but she loved it! The production was wonderful even though it completely threw me that Clara was being played by a Japanese dancer. Our seats were awesome, 5th row back, we saw everything. I mean everything, the look on Alli's face when the male dancers came out in their tights, well, shocked was not the word to describe her! We did get to meet one of the toy soldiers during intermission, thankfully he had "pants" on!

It was an amazing evening, the girls were beautiful, we all really enjoyed it! It brought back a lot of fond memories of when I used to go and see the Nutcracker with my mom. Those were good times! Hopefully this is a tradition I can continue with my girls in the years to come.


4 comments:
Where did ya get the fancy-schmancy dresses? I paraded Madison over the entirety of the Willowbrook Mall last Friday night and we were lucky to come up with a black skirt and satiny top. It was slim pickings for sure. We're off to The Christmas Carol at the Alley on Thursday. WITH EVERYONE.
I can relate to the 'occasion' dressing; I get so upset when at church people look as if they just rolled off their couch to greet God. Seriously-could you NOT switch the sweats for slacks????
How much fun for all of you!! I agree with the dressing thing~Last year My Mom, Grandmother, sister and I went to see the Rockettes and it was the same type of thing~ I was SHOCKED to see people in jeans!!
I'm so glad you did that. Maybe one year we can make it a 3-generation event.
Post a Comment