Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mmm, Caramel

I love caramel, it has got to be my favorite sweet treat. I love it in all sorts of different ways. On ice cream, in candy bars, the little Brach's and straight out of the can.

In fact I love it so much that it was the first thing I had after birthing 3 of my babies. I didn't get it after Kathryn because the little bugger came early and my mom wasn't there. My mom rewarded me with sweet caramel for all my hard work. And it is so insanely easy to make. Just boil Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed milk for 3 or so hours and there you go. I can, I have, and I will again eat a whole can myself!

I love caramel so much I almost went to jail for it. I was Krogering with my soon to be stepdad back in the day when they had the big Brach's candy display right in the middle of the produce department. I never really paid attention to the "Samples- 5 cents" sign. I just grabbed two and continued to shop. Well this creepy guy was following me around the store and I didn't really think much of it until we had checked out and were on the way to the car and he comes running out and says,"Excuse me miss, you need to come with me."

I of course was perplexed. Then he held out his hand with the two empty wrappers. So me, BH, and Mr. Bored Store Security Man went up to the manager's office. Apparently the store manager was not amused. She looked at the security guard and said," We hired you to bust teens stealing lipstick, not a dime's worth of candy." Needless to stay, not much came of that episode, except that I brought nickels to the store from then on out.

Why my stories about caramel?? Well in my home re-makeover I painted the dining room, now library, a color called Classic Caramel. And can I tell you how in love with this room I am! This room was just going to be an empty void in the house that got used maybe twice a year, we are just not a "formal" dining family. But we are a reading family. Now it is a warm, relaxing environment for anyone in the family to just chill out, veg, and curl up with a good book. I really wasn't sure how this little project was going to turn out but I have to say that it is now definitely my favorite room in the house! It just screams come sprawl here.





But this room makes me hungry, my sweet tooth is aching. Good thing there is no Rocky Mountain Chocolate Fountain nearby, I sure could go for a caramel apple right about now!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did the same thing with our dining room. Yours looks great!

I also meant to have Ryan leave a comment for Emma on her belt test, but never have gotten to it! :) Congrats from all of us, Emma!

JKMN said...

It looks SO good! But now you have ME thinking about caramel, which is the last thing I need right now after all that Halloween candy.

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

I LOVE caramel too - and that room looks GREAT! I would love to come and read in it! :) The first candy I grabbed out of Jack's sack was the Milk Duds...

Katie said...

The room Re-do looks awesome!!!

Sarah said...

Looks great, Amy! Very pretty and warm color!

Kimberly said...

Hmm....I think I want to sell my dining room table and copy your idea! How fun!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's my imagination, but food seemed to taste better when I was a kid. Also, food would sing and dance and play musical instruments. But that could also have been my imagination.

--Jack Handey

Narci D said...

Looks great! Perfect for your family! We ACTUALLY use our dining room alot, but you even have me wondering if we REALLY need it. ;)

Didi said...

The room looks great--very warm & inviting. :)

Anonymous said...

Amy, the room is beautiful! It looks so rich! I love it! What a great way to use that space! I want that red couch too!

Dawn said...

That DID turn out great! :)

Sassy said...

Looks AWESOME!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.