Friday, October 12, 2007

He Said, She Said

Yesterday at the bus stop, Emma got off crying hysterically. I knew something was very wrong. Especially when I heard other kids whispering "Emma" and "principal". I was shaking, I didn't know what was going on. Then Abby let me know that the bus driver wanted to speak to me. Now the bus driver is a big Hispanic man which is quite intimidating for a little girl of 5, okay and maybe me.

His Version: I looked up and saw her throwing her backpack over the seat, and I told her that I was going to write her up and send her to the principal because she can't do that on the bus. But she wouldn't tell me her name. But I wasn't really going to do that, I just needed her to know she needed to stop. I only tell the little kids that because they are too little, I only send the high school kids to the office.

I smiled, thanked him of informing me of her behavior, told him I would take care of the situation, and walked my crying baby home.

Her Version: I didn't throw my back pack, I just lifted it above my head. But this kid was hitting me in the back of the head with their backpack and was being mean to me and I just wanted them to leave me alone. And then the bus driver yelled at me (sob, sob) and told me to stop because I was breaking the rules, but I don't even know the rules. (sniff, sniff) And I don't even really know what he was saying because I think he was talking Spanish. WAHHH! But Mommy I didn't do anything bad and I never want to ride the bus again and I never want to go to school again because I don't want to go to the principal. WAHHH!

My poor baby was distraught, and I was pissed. I let her know it was okay, she wasn't in trouble, she wasn't going to the principal, but she was going to school and riding the bus. She was very upset at this and it affected her mood for the rest of the night. This morning she was still worried. But I simply explained, you get on the bus, you sit down, you don't worry about him. As long as you behave, you'll be fine. Just stay with Abby and she'll take care of you.

ARGHH, how frustrating is all this? Because the last thing I want to do is have to drive her to a school 5 minutes away in the neighborhood.

And all this for what? This is not the first time Mr. Busdriver has gotten it wrong. Apparently he just sees fit to punish whoever he glances in the mirror at the time without getting the whole story. Now I know, he's not a babysitter, he's not a teacher, BUT if you are going to discipline children then you ought to know what you are doing. Apparently there is no sensitivity training required on how to deal with elementary aged children. And he is terrible. The kids are standing up, hanging out the windows and he just drives on. But somehow he doesn't yell at them about that. You know the whole safety thing, yeah that's not an issue. And I don't know, would it kill him to learn their names?

You don't call out a kid, much less a kindergartner, in front of all the other kids and make threats like that. I think Emma was more embarrassed than anything to be reprimanded in front of her friends. And honestly I don't think "raising her backpack" above her head, warrants that kind of response anyway. Especially when none of the other 16 kids on this street that ride the bus saw Emma do anything wrong. Can I just say how much I LOVE all of these kids?? For sticking up for Emma and being worried about her. And quite frankly I think I will take the word of all these kiddos over his. You know kids don't lie when they're talking about someone else!

So yes, I'm mad, quite hot, actually. I think I might have a cocktail at lunch to work up the nerve to tell Mr. Busdriver exactly what I think of his ineptitude at his job. Or maybe throw some eggs at him as he drives away. Or not, I did say he is quite a scary man.

But I'm definitely not contributing to his Christmas gift this year. The big meanie!

6 comments:

Katie said...

That is totally horrible, I agree get the whole story BEFORE you say anything to a kid. I'm glad she has so many friends on the bus to stick up for her!!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you it always makes me sad when Em's yelled at for something she didn't do and to see her so upset like that.

Dawn said...

Isn't the driver on the bus supposed to say, "Move it on back?" not, "You're going to the principal's!" Hope it gets better! :)

Anonymous said...

how come my mom never believed that i didn't do anything wrong? tell emma to call that big guy a "dictionary breath" or something, that will shut him up.

Anonymous said...

The driver's perception and Emma's WILL be different. He might have thought the backpack was going to continue into the back seat from over her head. He might threaten the little ones because he knows he can't bluff the older ones. The job is not everybody's dream career, so you are not going to get the best. I agree he should have handled it differently but someone needs to talk to him and not simply criticize. I would relate the facts to the principal. Also, talk to Emma about handling this type of situation, because it probably won't be the last.

Kimberly said...

Oh- Poor Emma! How scarry for her to think that she would have to go to the principal's office! Thank goodness she has Abby to look out for her!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.