Amy? On the couch. Glued to NBC.
Yes, we're hooked. We'll been watching the Olympics since the Opening Ceremonies and WOW, what an opening ceremony! Did you see it, please tell me you saw it because I thought it was AMAZING! And several parts just made me feel completely incompetent as a mother. Seriously, they were able to get 2008 performers on any given number to perform in sync with each other and I can't even get 4 damn kids to all look at the camera at the same time.
This is the first Olympics where Emma is old enough to really be into it. And she really is. During the Parade of Nations we cuddled on the couch with a globe and I was able to show her most of the countries as they walked in. What an incredible learning experience these games are for the girls. Geography, culture, sportsmanship.
When the games were in Athens 4 years back we actually had to opportunity to go. Having family in Greece it would have been a wonderful experience. But instead of a trip to Greece, we got a bundle of joy. Who I was not taking overseas at the tender age of 6 weeks, no matter that it was a once in a lifetime experience. My brother and his family got to go though, and I will continue to live vicariously through them and the official Athens games souvenirs they brought home for us.
And while we love watching the events themselves, as a grown up I really appreciate the stories that go along with the athletes. Like the South African flag bearer who only has half a leg. The French swimmer and her love triangle, so US Weekly worthy. The American with testicular cancer. Dara Torres! And did you watch our relay team last night win at the last second? And on and on...
And if you weren't touched by the story of that little boy walking with Yao Ming, you are just heartless. He was a victim of the recent earthquake in China which killed several of his classmates. After freeing himself he went back to save some of his friends. Why? Because he was the hall monitor and it was his job to keep his class safe. That is just the best thing I have ever heard. And dude, that little guy got Yao Ming to smile. Enough said.
So yeah we're watching. And Emma especially wants to see all the sports that she's done. Let's see that's only... gymnastics, swimming, soccer, softball and Tae Kwon Do. Abby's all about the equestrian events. And some of my favorites probably won't even get TV time.
Don't laugh, but I am a sucker for synchronized swimming. In fact growing up I so wanted to be a synchronized swimmer. I would force my brother to practice with me at the YMCA pool. You know I came up with some fabulous routines. But after a while, the whole water up your nose thing gets to be a bit too much.
And rhythmic gymnastics. Oh I do love me some rhythmic gymnastics! I actually participated in the sport during middle school. And it was my talent portion for the Lady Warrior pageant in 8th grade. A kickass ribbon routine to The Cure's Lullaby. Alas, I didn't win. I don't remember who did, but I'm sure she was a cute blonde who sang opera or something just as lame.
Alright, I'm done rambling, just two questions...
Is water polo the most boring sport you've ever seen? Seriously they're taking away baseball and softball but this riveting event gets to stay.
And could the women's beach volleyball teams' bathing suits be any smaller?
GO USA!!
Bulk purchase smoke 1775856595534-4
5 months ago


26 comments:
I watched the sync. diving with the 2 year old, and she totally freaked out. Momma, what happen? Momma, they got owie?
Did you see the 4X100 relay? Dag, yo. And the french chic, who ended up placing LAST by 9 seconds? Ouch.
And yeah, I totally missed th Opening Ceremonies, and I am beating myself over the head for it.
But I have one question: If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they ALL drown?
I'm not quite as riveted as you are.
That little boy's story was amazing!
And water polo is quite boring...so are the rowing races to me..but that's just my opinion.
Yep, during non-working hours I've been watching quite a bit of Olympics. Even sports I never otherwise watch are suddenly more interesting when the world is meeting together to compete, peacefully, athletically. Watching and enjoying, especially gymnastics - wow, last night, the US Women's team - I almost forget to be irate that Beijing is hosting. Almost. I have conflicting thoughts, but mostly I have to say that I do love watching and do get caught up in the spirit. There is hope somewhere in all of this and all of these people and all of these stories and all of this being together in one place to celebrate athletics, together.
I was touched by the little boy so I'm not heartless, but otherwise...I'm sorry, I can't get into it. I tried. I just can't get past all the conflicts...or the constant image of W on the screen.
saw the relay, i like a little $hit talking but i also like poetic justice....like the frenchie running his mouth was given a full body length lead on the final leg of the relay and HE was the one that choked up the gold.
no objections to the womens beach volley suits
I have watched it on and off! I'm only a fan of the swimming and gymnastics! I actually graduated with one of the male gymnasts, Raj!! That was pretty neat to see him on there!
Glad you and the girls are enjoying it though!
First of all, I was JUMPING up and down on my couch last night during the mens 4x100 relay!!! What an AMAZING race!!!! Proud of our guys for not rubbing it in the french dudes' faces, I would have...
LOVED the french girl drama...wish I had more details...I wanted to see a cat fight!!
And if you can figure out when TaeKwonDo is on, PLEASE let me know...Gabe is DYING to see it!!!
Ok. So love those relay men!! That was the best EVER!!!! We are hooked here, too! Adam keeps saying "mommy, you watching sports still??" HAHA. YES! :)
You damn overachiever with your globe making it a learning experience. Whatever! Thanks for making the rest of us look bad! ;-)
I'm not really a big Olympics fan, but I do love me some men's gymnastics. Nothing awes me quite like routines on the rings.
Watching these Olympic games has me totally motivated to finish my scrap book page for our Olympic trip 4 years ago. It is so exciting, I just can't believe when we had the chance we only saw two events!
I've not seen nearly what I would like but that race last night--the men's 4x100 world record.
What sucks is that the 5th place team also swam faster than the previous world record! They beat the world record and only got 5th place--not even a medal.
Good stuff these Olympics.
I am loving it! I stayed up to watch the men's relay last night. I was silently (everyone else was asleep but me) screaming the whole time. SO EXCITING!
And the German gymnast? Holy crap!
I love hearing all the athlete's personal stories.
I am obsessed with it! Yes, water polo is too boring for words. The relay last night...AWESOME!
I've started watching! I missed the open ceremony and most of the weekend stuff because we were in Austin for a family wedding. But, my mom DVR'ed it and I plan on watching it.
I love the olympics too. My older son's getting into it this year too.
Taking time on a commmercial break to read your blog. I am going to watch so much TV in the next 2 weeks it is crazy. Opening ceremony - best ever. 4X100 relay last night - best finish ever. Can't wait for women gymnastics all around. Back to TV...
1. No. And I say that only because I've played it and it's vicious. Bad bad things go on underwater. Youch.
2. No. They could not. And still be called bathing suits.
I don't have a tv but I, too, am glued. To my laptop.
GO GREECE!!!!
kick some american a$$ on Thursday like you did two years ago in the world championships....
I'm glad that so many people are "getting into" the Olympics. It's nice knowing that so many other people out there are all together, watching the same thing and routing for the home team.
Totally riveted!!!
This is the first year we've been olympaddicts ;-) ;-)
love it!!!
We've been glued to the TV too. We know the male gymnast - Raj. We went to Mayde Creek with him c/o 1999 and have partied with him at his house. And now he is on TV. It's totally surreal. And we're still glued to the TV.
TEAM USA!
As my satellite has been out, I've sadly been missing this whole thing. I'm bummed. And you guys keep Plurking all about it. Sigh.
I've got the satellite back. I can finally see what you guys have been Plurking about.
I'm addicted too - it's going to be a long & tired couple of weeks because I keep staying up late watching all of this loveliness - and then my little ladies watch the highlights in the morning that I DVR'd. Oh the marvels of modern technology!!!
Go USA!
If I had a beach volleyball body I'd be all over that itsy bitsy swimsuit also!! They are RIPPED!
And we are hooked on the Olympics also!
I am pretty sure the "uniforms" get smaller and the shorts get shorter as a direct ratio to ratings going up.
KEEP BELIEIVNG
Post a Comment