Friday, March 23, 2007

Parenting 101

You are the professor, and I am the student. I have too many children, and often I come across an issue that I simply don't know how to handle. So I would love to know how you might handle it if you were in my situation. Maybe offer me a much calmer alternative to what I would instinctively do. Because I may only be half Greek, but I have a full Greek temper, and it's not good.
So tonight's lesson will be: cussing.
My dear, sweet, innocent Allison, yes the one you all LOVE, had some friends over today. They spent a good majority of the evening walking around as if they owned the Sac, teasing younger children (mostly her sisters), playing Truth or Dare, and God knows what else those preteens do.
Well a little boy who does not frequent our Sac, came over to play with his friend. He found a volleyball and asked Alli if it was hers to which she replied," Who the hell are you?" Yes, this is the Allison that you all LOVE. We were in a public setting so beating my child in front of my neighbors and her friends did not seem a viable solution. Honestly it is the first time I have heard her speak that way. And even more honestly her mother does have the mouth of a sailor.
Later on she apologized again for using those words, but said that EVERYBODY at school talks that way, so it just slipped out. Does that mean she speaks that way too? And if she does, how would I know? I can't punish her for something I don't know about. Was she just trying to be cool in front of her friends? Is she too old for me to wash her mouth out with soap? Suggestions?
It's coming: puberty, adolescence, attitude. And I'm scared, very scared. Those of you who have requested Alli in the past, if you still want her, I'm taking bids.

4 comments:

Didi said...

Oh no...maybe it's the new haircut...more attitude now--HA! HA! I still can't believe I'm about to enter this Mommy world! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

You're going to have much more important things to worry about. Just let her know that it really doesn't sound that cool, and even if you talk that way with your friends, you need to show some respect to others that may be offended. Welcome to middle school, Mom. Your kids do start to change and suddenly their friends know more than their parents. She apologized - reinforce what she does right and don't overreact to the other.

Anonymous said...

teach her how to cuss in greek, that way she gets her thrills and nobody knows what the hell she is saying.

Anonymous said...

...well, at least it wasn't 'who the F@#K are you!' Remember Amy, what goes around comes around.

Have FUN!!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.