Now, I'm not exactly sure why they accepted us. Today of all days, we weren't exactly on our best behavior. And since I'm still a little unsure of God's opinion on gameboys and Ipods as distractions during the service, I just gotta deal with what they give me. Which was a little more than usual this time.
We walked in wanting to sit a little closer than our usual back row. Emma wanted to sit in the very front, I chose pew 4, she threw a fit, in front of everyone. The girls went down for the children's lesson and then Kathryn was upset that she had to come and sit back with us instead of attending Children's Church. It was a very long, very loud episode. I finally calmed her down and was cuddling her when Emma decided it would be great fun to poke at her sister and pull her pigtails. All during the Lord's Prayer. And of course during the sermon, Emma decided to continually open and shut the Hymnal as loudly as she could. And there might have been a few mean looks, a few loud shushes, a few I swear I will give you a case of red booty, and a few Dear God, please grant me the patience.
But I did not turn around. Not once. I was too afraid.
The thing is, I've been trying to sweet talk the pastor into just making us members without all the pomp and circumstance. The little girls are in the choir, I do a bible study, the big girls attend the youth group, we go to potlucks. Crap, I even dressed up as a cow for the Fallejuah festival. We're up there at least twice a week. We're pretty much involved and are members in every way except the actual title. But it was a no go, he told me we had to stand up there and do it the right way.
Which, with our family has been hard to do. It's rare that someone isn't sick, or wearing jeans, or we're in town, or Alli and Abby aren't at their dad's, or we're not at a game. And the big thing for me is that we were to join as a family. And as outgoing as you might think I am, I don't really dig being in front of a crowd. At least not without a karaoke mike and a few kamikaze shots. And thank God, literally, that I was in a good place for him to hear my prayers that I didn't pass out. He doesn't hear me so much in a bar when I'm hoping not to make a fool of myself singing a little Young MC.
But we finally did it and I'm thrilled to be an official part of the family now. I'm happy to give my girls this opportunity to learn and grow in their faith. And the same goes for me and Steven.
After the service we got to shake hands with a bajillion people all welcoming us. And it was really nice to be told that we have such a beautiful family. Especially by the sweet old lady who had told me she was admiring my girls during the service. Really? She must have been in the way back ;-) So many nice people, and again I'm thinking they don't really know what they're taking on here and why exactly are they letting us in. And I remembered what the pastor said about us during his introduction...
"Four girls, they'll keep us busy with weddings for quite a while."
Yep, that explains it. This wacky family is good for business!


16 comments:
I love that Bat Girl!!!
Amy!
I am so excited for you and your family girl!! What an awesome thing! I can barely get the two boys to church each Sunday and cant imagine 4 GIRLS with hair to be done and accessories to be found/fought over!!! It will be the best decision you will ever make! So proud of you! :)
Beaming with pride. :)
And, don't worry--kids always SEEM louder when they are yours and you are in a quiet envirnoment.
Plus, they are lucky to have (all of) YOU!
That is great!! Very proud of all of you!
I love the picture...way too cute!!
Awwwww.
Congratulations and I am diggin' the costumes! Y'all are darling.
Yay! Congratulations!
I'm always wondering about what people are talking about when they compliment my boys behavior in church? Huh? They must not really have been watching. ;)
Love the pic!
Bat girl... TOO much! She looks SO cute!!
Congrats on joining the church! Good luck with all those weddings... ;) hahaha.
Congrats on joining...what a big step.
Congrats on joining. You know they act even better when you know they are on show. I'd freak if I had to stand up upon joining a church. I hate the very thought. Loved dinner!
I can't get my nerve up to do that either. Maybe in a year and a half.
P.S. I am lovin' that Bat Girl!
That's really awesome Amy! That is so great for you and your family.
And can I jsut say - I busted out laughing at you as the cow?? :)
First of all congrats! .2nd of all great cow costume. 3rd of all, I HATE standing up in front of everyoine at church! Ewww! We had to do it when we became members, then when my daughter was baptized. Guess we'll have to do that again pretty soon! ACK!
what great costumes!!!
hi!! so...how are you? what's new? xoxo
Love that you enjoy a church home - that is the most important LOVE of mine as we return to McKinney - a sigh of relief...to be home in my favorite parish...ahh...loud or not with my family - they can't get rid of us now! HAHAHAHA
Dude..is it bad I wore the same costume as your little one?? (bat girl)
and you made me laugh out loud with the "we are good for business" line.. too funny.
Post a Comment