Wednesday, October 8, 2008

4 little witches

Because I'm their mom, and I really shouldn't call them that other word.

I've been buying Halloween costumes for a few years now. 13 to be exact. Well there was that one year where I thought I would be all Martha Stewart like crafty and saw something in Family Fun that surely even I could make. So I sat in a booth during the lull between lunch and happy hour at THE sports bar in Houston surrounded by 20-something bimbo waitresses who just could not wrap their heads around the fact that I would rather tie yarn in knots than read the latest celebrity magazine. Who knew they were actually right? The first and only time that happened. I know, you are dying to see a picture of my fantastic tie-dyed unicorn:


Yeah, apparently she was real happy with the outcome. Might have had something to do with the craptastic gold glitter stars and squiggles I drew all over the costume too. And you can't even see the tail I so diligently worked on. Anyway, I quickly learned "homemade" was not for me.

And I do so miss the days when I was able to decide what they would be, before they actually had opinions. I've been trying that for the past few years with no luck. I really, REALLY want us to all dress up as characters from the Wizard of Oz. The four of them as the yahoos on the Yellow Brick Road. Me as the Wicked Witch, and Steven as a flying monkey. Yes, I found a flying monkey and I want him to wear it. Except the girls can't stop fighting over who gets to be what because NO ONE wants to be the scarecrow because he's dumb. I'm thinking it would be real smart for one of them to request I pay them a large sum of money to be the scarecrow. Because I would go for that. That's how bad I want to see my husband as a flying monkey.

Anyway, through the years, I've dropped some bucks on costumes. New costumes. Every year. Because God forbid the little ones wear anything that the big girls wore years ago even if one wanted to be a mermaid and there was a perfectly good mermaid costume hanging in the closet that had been worn one night only 6 years earlier.

Well this year, I had a plan. Alli and Abby aren't even going to be here Halloween. So I should be off the hook. Wanna trick or treat with your dad? Fine, let him buy costumes. Better yet, wear what you wore last year. No one will be the wiser because no one over there saw you. They agreed. Two down.

Kathryn was given a Snow White dress from her cousin that she can't wear anymore. Snow White just so happens to be Kathryn's FAVORITE princess and you know she's got the hairstyle working for that one. Wanna be Snow White? OH YES! Good, next...

Emma, you know how we had to buy that red, white and blue leotard for your Mayfest? What if I made a sign and stuck it on your back and you wore your medal, you could be a USA gymnastics girl, doesn't that sound fun? Mommy, that's the best idea ever! Done, Costume Express catalog...trashed.

Yes, I know it's a girl's prerogative to change her mind. Oh how I know.

Snow White is not my favorite princess anymore, I like Jasmine.

I do gymnastics all the time, I want to be something I'm not in real life.

Well, I might be going to a party and my friends all saw me in the cow costume last year.

If they're all getting something new, I want something new too.

Four little witches...

Scratch that. One witch, one genie, one batgirl, and one fairy. And 200 bucks gone.

And still, no flying monkey.

14 comments:

GoteeMan said...

I have one, let's call him Easy, who is very simple to please... always wants a currently available character, and it's always in stock in his size....

Then I have another one, let's call him EasyNOT, who always wants the "custom" costume. For 9 of his 12 Halloweens, it's been custom... ever since he could speak and say "NO".

But finally, this year, we have a winner on both counts, and Amazon.com now has my money. Thank God another year is down...

J/ (goteeman.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

Just.say.no.

JKMN said...

I will pay your girls money if it means seeing Steven in the monkey costume!
This year I told the kids they could be anything they wanted...as long as it is something already in our house!

Narci D said...

Don't even get me started on costumes--just trust me that it's not only a girl's perogative to change their mind!

The Daily Stroll said...

I feel your pain! Jonah and I are debating whether he should be a Hot Dog Weenie (his request) or a Pirate (my request). The Hot Dog costume on PBkids is $72.00 The Pirate costume is $24.00! What's a mom to do???

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Holy moly! That's some pricey Halloween gear.

Next year, they should have to be what you say...and deal!

the mama bird diaries said...

That costume you made is cute!! Good luck with all the halloween craziness.

Anonymous said...

Okay.. I am a costume fanatic. Well.. I should say my son is.. and I encourage it..hahah thankfully I have every superhero under the son in my house so that when the little guy is old enough I know I will never have to get another costume again..LOL

Dreams and Designs said...

Shut up! WE are dressing as the Wizard of Oz this year! Adorable daughter is Dorothy of course (she's onlt three, so I have to do this while the gittin' is good). Husband is Tin man and I am the huge, pregnant Wicked Witch!

Oh and nice job on the homemade unicorn. I mean, it kind of looks like it just jabbed an innocent bystander with its horn and has entrails all over it- but otherwise it's super cute! ;)

Stephanie said...

But of course! That would be a girl thing to do - change their minds.

I'm astonished that costumes are so expensive now. Last year I got a cute lady bug on eBay for like $20. This year? This year we spent upwards of $75 for Tinkerbell! But she will be oh so cute....

Make sure to post pictures of the 4 witches - too cute ;)

Kat said...

I think boys might be easier on the costume front. Joey was a fireman for 3 years in a row (same costume- I rolled the sleeves when he was little and unrolled as he got older) and now he and Tommy are both going to be Spiderman this year with Ben as a dalmation (Tommy's costume from last year). Easy peasy!
Maybe you should tell them that they either use the costumes they had last year or THEY have to make their own. ???

Anonymous said...

Oh, that sucks, A. Women changing their minds. I feel for you. Mine tried to change his mind after I already bought his - ain't gonna fly over here.

April said...

And my opinion is, why should the kids have to participate? You've given birth to four (four!) of his children. He will be the flying monkey, w/ or w/o the girls' participation!

KJ said...

At least they can make a decision. My 2 yr old said, "Buzz!" then "No Buzz! Incredibles!" Then, "No Mommy! I be a doggie!" Ugh.

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.