Monday, May 5, 2008

Really, it's okay, I can totally fit pneumonia into my schedule

Well first off, I jinxed it. The weather that is. Today was full of torrential downpours which would have been perfect for me. The cleaning lady is coming tomorrow so I needed to clean. Confused? Yeah, me too. Anyway, it would have been perfect for me to stay indoors and get the house all straightened up, except for the fact that we have four toilets, six humans and were down to a roll and a half of toilet paper.

And I remembered that I was supposed to contribute 4 large bags of candy for teacher appreciation by last Thursday and when I called the mom to apologize and lie that I had been on my deathbed, she let me know that it was completely fine to bring the candy up to school tomorrow. Oh, yay.

And then I got a call from Kathryn's preschool letting me know that her registration paperwork was due last week and if I didn't get it in by tomorrow they would release her spot to someone on the waiting list. Oh hell no, you won't!! I can't handle that girl 5 days a week, she will be in school. Except I didn't have her shot records or the notarized emergency form ready.

And since the rest of my week is already jam packed with crap to do, this obviously facilitated the need to run errands in the pouring rain.

So I don't believe in umbrellas. You see once upon a time, there was an umbrella and there was a mom and a toddler and a newborn. And one day the mom had to balance the umbrella and the diaper bag and hold on to the toddler and right before she tried to get the newborn out of the car seat she slipped and landed on her ass in a large puddle because she was a brilliant gal who always wore flip flops when it rained. And so she managed to get herself and the children soaking wet and then she figured what the hell, ditch the umbrella, it's one less thing to have to juggle. And she's been rained on ever since.

Fast forward to today, loads of errands, no umbrella, no problem. Kathryn hadn't had a bath all weekend, it wouldn't hurt her to get a little wet. So we bopped in and out of Old Navy, Barnes and Noble, the doctor's office, the bank, the kennel, Kathryn's school, at some point we ate, and then we sat in the parking lot of Target. Where I knew right on the other side of those sliding glass doors would be an umbrella display. For people like me. And as I sat in that parking lot, hair soaking, but happy that I had the good sense to change out of my white T-shirt before leaving the house and that I was wearing shoes with great traction, I looked over at the handicapped parking. And I longed to jump ten spots closer to the doors because really anyone who was physically impaired was not going to be dumb enough to go out in the rain. Only those mentally impaired. Like myself. And no cop would be around to issue a ticket because cops don't like to get wet either. But then the morals set in, just in case, and we got poured on running into Target.

And while we were checking out, I noticed that it had stopped raining so I told the cashier that I wasn't going to buy the umbrella after all. And then when I pushed my cart outside to unload my purchases and my child, the rainclouds said HAHA Sucker and let it go.

And our last stop, I had to register the girls for their summer and fall gymnastics classes. Why I have to register for fall so early in the year is beyond me but it has to be done. Because if you don't do it early, then you get stuck with some crap ass class time that really doesn't work with your schedule. And I like the early classes. The classes where I don't have to circle the parking lot a bazillion times to find a spot. Because parking there sucks. If you ever get really bored you can take your sweet time vacating your parking spot. Just enough time so that it becomes coveted by multiple mini-vans and then you can see the velour tracksuits, acrylic nails and Coach purses fly in your rear view mirror as you drive off and watch the soccer moms duke it out over your spot. But I'm not sure if I can partake in that past time anymore because while we were there, my sweet angel child, the one that was tired of running errands and getting rained on, pulled the whole bar full of leotards right off the office wall. So we might be transferring gyms now.

But now we're home. And my back is on fire because I've been doing the top two things my physical therapist tells me not to do. Running and carrying my kid. And not only is the back hurting but the child and I are shivering and sneezing. And I don't think Airborne or Emergen-C works for pneumonia. No matter, because I'm sure as hell not running to CVS to get either!

31 comments:

Rosylyn said...

Amy, I hope you will feel better soon! It was so nice to talk to you the other day!

Unknown said...

Emergen-C is my life saver! I'd take two just in case. You know they make a kids version too :) Anyhow, glad to see your life mirrors mine :) LOL Except I have two less humans, so you are my hero!

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

OK - I am tired after that - but you just made me laugh - because while you are wondering WHY people register for September so early - I have been stalking Julia's dance studio's website for over a MONTH looking for their FALL schedule and same for their VBS this summer - asking since January about it...I have a personal phobia of scheduling anything that will be effecting my weekly schedule and mental well being in the fall less than six months in advance...so - they created those rules for psycho moms like ME. :) In need time...lots of time... :)

MommyTime said...

You are seriously one efficient mama. Also, it may make you feel better that I saw on Myth Busters once that you don't get any less wet running through the rain than walking through it -- so you might as well just stroll. This never SEEMS true when I'm actually in the rain without an umbrella, but apparently "science" proved it.

I hope you feel better soon!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Ok, I am exhausted!!! Whew! Glad you got it all done!

Stephanie said...

Wow..I am tired now! But doesnt that just explain a crappy, rainy Monday?!?! Glad you got it all done though! Good luck to the rest of the week!

Anonymous said...

You have an umbrella thing too? Yours is much more logical than mine. I had a Marry Poppins experience as a kid and have never been able to look at them they same way. Yeah, I'd just prefer to get wet.

Here's to hoping you didn't seriously f^ck with your back today.

ShannanB said...

oh man Amy. Sounds like your having a rough one. I am sure it will get better.

Anonymous said...

Damn. I hope you get ALL of it done & manage to stay well. Good luck!

OHmommy said...

Dammm..... I thought it would get easier once the kids were older.

Sending you get well hugs.

The Mrs. said...

Feel better! Kick that sickness in the ass!

Laski said...

I'm exhausted now . . . Oh yikes!!! Hope you feel better soon . . . before it gets worse!!!

Stephanie said...

Goodness you were busy! I hear ya on not liking to do errands on rainy days. However, I was stuck in the office all day staring out the window at the gloomy day... so I wasn't much better off. Bleh! Hope today is better for you!

Rachel said...

Aw punkin'.. I am so sorry.
Bad Amy for not listening to the Doctor, but we're moms when the hell do we ever listen to anyone besides our kids?

pb&j in a bowl said...

I'm sooo with you about the umbrella. Sure, I show up looking like a drowned rat, but it's worth it to me to not have to keep up with it.

I'm really not sure how you survived your day. But, I'm glad you did.

Kat said...

Oy vey! That is quite a day. Now mine doesn't sound so bad.
I think both you and Kathryn deserve a nice hot bath!

Narci D said...

It rained here yesterday, and, of course, we had a million things on the schedule as well. Too bad--it was the perfect day to stay at home!

The Daily Stroll said...

Sounds like the same day I had yesterday. I had a zillion errands that needed to get done and it rained most of the day! A missing umbrella, a soaking wet mom and one cranky toddler later we made it home and wouldn't you know - it cleared right up!!

MarĂ­a said...

Oh god, ugh!!

Didi said...

It was so good to see you this weekend! We'll definitely holler next time we are in Houston!!

Brittany said...

Holy COW, woman. That is tiring!

I don't use umbrellas either! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't do umbrella's either .. they just get in the way.. But I love the other moms that do use them ..I always get the look of.. "your letting your child get wet.. gasp!" hahaha

jessica said...

hope you get a breather soon... feel better! and geesh, yeah, we registered for BASEBALL in february! silly stuff.

Momisodes said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry Amy. I hope you feel better soon. Take it easy when you can....

Dreams and Designs said...

Oh man, I always carry my daughter and it always hurts my back! And I NEVER carry an umbrella either!

ssgreylord said...

Could you get any funnier? Honestly, I just discovered you and will keep coming back for more and more... couldn't find your RSS feed, but i'll keep looking. Umbrellas are for losers anyway.

KJ said...

Hilarous about the umbrellas. Emergen-C cures everything, including boo-boos on the knee. But you know, I just read that Airborne is a total fraud! Its a placebo, does nothing!

Dawn said...

A typical day-in-the-life, right? Hang in there! :) Great to see you on Saturday.

April said...

I don't believe in umbrellas, either :)But I do believe in hoodies, or some form of head coverage. Just not one that you have to carry. I'm with you; we have enough to carry. Hope you feel better!

LunaNik said...

I hate umbrellas. I would much rather just get rained on. So much easier than carrying that damned thing around!

Nissa said...

Busy much??!!

Wow, all that stuff would weaken my immune system, too!

I don't do umbrellas either. If someone wants to let me walk under theirs with them, great, but I don't carry them. I had to walk to class during a hurricane in college, and my umbrella caught the wind & I actually went up off the ground. No more Mary Poppins for me, thanks. I'd rather get wet.

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.