Saturday night, I was sure was going to be a breeze. Such a busy day, the girls were exhausted, I was exhausted, early bedtime for all, right? No. They were so tired the little brats could not go to sleep. Exactly how that works, I will never understand. They kept crawling out of their beds, coming downstairs, needing snacks and water and reminding me it wasn't a school night so they could sleep in the playroom. Ugh, who went and taught them how to read a calendar?
So I was super tired, I caved in and set them up in the playroom with a movie, hoping that would do the trick, but it didn't. I entertained thoughts of just letting them sleep with me for the night since Daddy was gone, but the last time that happened I ended up with a toe in my left nostril so I quickly vetoed that plan. Emma finally nodded off but Krazy K was still in rare form. I thought fine, I'll just leave it on Noggin for her and she'll fall asleep whenever, because I am DONE. But then I thought what if she wakes up at 2am to use the bathroom and Oobi is on the screen, you think she has nightmares now... So basically, a LONG night.
Sunday morning, somewhere around 8am, a very loud noise coming from my backyard, right outside my window. It could only be... a chainsaw?!?
The pine trees in my yard were dead and they had to come down. I'm not a big fan of pine trees and had I originally built this house I would have cleared the lot of all of them for this very reason. Now, I like trees, just not pines. The needles, the sap, the wondering if the sucker is going to snap and land on your roof when any one of the constant freaks of nature we have occur. So they were scheduled to come down, on Saturday, when we were at the swim meet and didn't have to listen to the sweet music of a chainsaw.
Two minutes later, the girls appear in my doorway, "Mom, there's a man in our tree!" And my dream of feeding them Poptarts and CapriSuns for breakfast in my bed while they watched cartoons and I dozed away were shattered.
Of course we had to watch. It's quite an undertaking. One guy scurries up the tree like a monkey and cuts off sections of the tree, while the guys on the ground guide down the sections tied off with ropes, miraculously avoiding my windows. Here's Monkey Man outside our second story, already just a 1/3 of the tree was gone, they were huge:
And I was quite covert in my picture taking because even though I was handing over a fair chunk of my Disney budget and had every right to take pictures, I didn't want to give the guy performance anxiety or anything and then have to hand over another chunk to cover his broken neck.
Even though, they should really pay me. Because I went into my daily routine and decided to take a shower forgetting they were three strange men in my backyard. And while I do have those thick glass bricks that you can't see through, (I'm not really sure because I've never tried to watch myself take a shower from the backyard) seems to me, one of them stopped just a little too long outside that window. And so I couldn't even enjoy a nice peaceful shower, even though I'm sure the distortion of the bricks wasn't making me look oh so pretty. Actually, it probably made me look better.
So the sound of heavy machinery is still ringing in my ears. Not at all helped by whatever is going on at my neighbor's new pool. A little serenity is in order. I've booked a massage complete with Enya and incense,maybe even a little nap for tomorrow, my last day alone before this saving grace called preschool is done for the summer and peace and quiet will definitely not be an option.


19 comments:
I always wonder if those glass bricks REALLY work????
Hmmm...I tried to post a comment, but I got kicked out. With my luck you'll get it three times. I was saying that I was dreading giving up my free mornings. My son is out of school for the summer in just three days. Ugh.
I do wonder about those bricks too. I think I'll get my son to go outside while I dance around in front of them. I'll see what he reports back. (fully dressed, duh)
Oh, you are scaring me with school being out this week and having the munchkin home with me.
I hope we don't have any "men in our trees" to wake her up early!
Oh dear.... I'm glad it's almost impossible to see into my house, through my windows. We have large hedges in the front, and a 6 ft fence surrounding all of the back windows. So, I think I'm usually safe...which is good- because I do tend to run from the bathroom to bedroom after showers. haha. TMI...I know.
We had a HUGE pine in my front yard growing up and THE NEEDLES still give me crazy memories...We had SOFT St. Augustine grass and those needles RUINED the soft part on the feet...YUCK...SO MANY OF THEM...SO MANY.
I always get a little nervous watching them take down trees... I just know that I'm about to see somebody get crunched. :)
And ditto about the glass bricks... Never really sure about whether or not they really do what they're supposed to really do. LOL
I wonder the same thing about our master window--am I giving the neighbors a show? ;)
It never works out like you want. I'm sorry the chainsaw ruined your Biggio dream...
Thank goodness this wasn't out your bathroom window. I wouldn't have wanted to get caught getting of the shower or something!
Oobi scares me, too!
We have a whole backyard full of pine trees - they are crappy trees, but we kept them because they were a nice barrier, they don't look TOO awful, and I didn't want to have to maintain any more grass than I already am (the tree part of the yard has no grass). A lot of our neighbors have taken down all the pine trees though, but since that is about the only kind of tree around here, their yards look kinda bare. I don't blame you for chopping one down though!
Enjoy your massage!!!
Oh my! I SO would have taken pics too ;)
I hope you have a peaceful and relaxing last day!
Sounds EVENTFUL around there.
Hope you get some sleep. Soon.
I would have felt like a PI taking those pics of the Men In Trees. Haha!
It never fails though...whenever you think they are tired and going to go down all night. BOOM - you're wrong.
I'm sorry! The same thing happened to me when I took time off during the holidays. Friggin' roofers over my head the whole time! Peace and quiet can never be scheduled, it seems. Unless you book a vacation in Fiji, I'm told.
Dude...he totally peeped you out in the shower. You deserve a discount now.
I'm sure he was just seeing Shadow You and fantasizing about Real You.
You still deserve a discount.
Post a Comment