Friday, April 4, 2008

Roughing It

So what's missing in this picture?

Hmm, how about the house! Yes, folks that would be our bathroom at the Property. Now don't get me wrong, it is a very nice bathroom. It's got an actual toilet that flushes, a vanity area with a mirror and some decorative pictures of... outhouses. The only thing wrong with this bathroom is the fact that if I have to pee in the middle of the night, I have to find a flashlight and wake up my husband to walk me there so that he can clear the path of those critters that like to come out during the night. (And I don't care how harmless he says banana spiders are, because if one dropped on my head I can guarantee a great amount of harm will be done.) Other than that the bathroom is totally fine.

So we had a great time! Even me, I'll admit it. The girls started running around like crazy as soon as we got there. First on the agenda was fishing lessons from Dad. And that's what they all spent the majority of time doing. They loved fishing! Me, not so much. Maybe because in all of my 32 years the only fish I got was a baby snapper no bigger than my hand and I had to throw the sucker back. So I don't fish because I don't like setting myself up for disappointment. Although I'm sure I could have caught a dogfish aka Floyd. That dog is psycho! Every time someone would cast into the lake he would try and catch the lure, and he succeeded a few times. I'm not sure how many times we had to remove a hook from his mouth, his tail, or his paw.

Then they moved on to the swing. The gigantic swing that goes WAY over the water. And Daddy was on the swing and he jumped in. And the girls said cool, so they jumped in. Well all except Princess. But Kathryn, my sweet little baby, jumped right off that swing into that cold, nasty lake. And then did it again.

Canoe rides, nature walks, smores. The craziest trailer ride ever! Grandad was a bit out of control pulling us down the pipeline but it was so fun! Checkers, steaks cooked on the open flame, hours of coloring on the porch. Oh yes, coloring. Because I came prepared. I HAD to stop at Target and get supplies. I was certain that Kathryn was not going to do so well, so I purchased many distractions for her to hang out at the cabin with me. She was the hardest one to get in the cabin! You seriously would have thought the fishing pole was super glued to her hand! Oh and I picked up these little boots:


That is as cute as it gets! The girls got dirty!! Dirt and mud and lake water, they were gross, and loving every minute of it. For the first time in my life, instead of packing way too many clothes, I did not pack enough! Poor Emma had to cook smores in her underwear because I needed to save a pair of pants for the next day. Not that she cared. That child would have run around naked if I would have let her. She certainly didn't keep her shoes on which is why GranJanet had to pull about 298 splinters from her foot.

So check out the pictures from our outdoor adventure. I know there's a lot, but we had so much fun. And you want to see them. Because they is probably my most favoritest picture of Alli EVER, me on a tractor (never thought I'd see the day) and a picture of the big old fish that Abby caught.

Ah, yes, the fish. The whole reason that we HAVE to go back. Because Kathryn is distraught. Even now, five days later, she comes to me with her sad puppy face and says," But I didn't catch a fish." And so we have to go back so she can catch a fish. And maybe next time, we'll actually put a hook on her line ;-)



35 comments:

jenny said...

oh how fun! i want to go on an outdoor adventure soon! love that picture of the girls mud boots. :)

jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ed (zoesdad) said...

I think If I went there I may never be heard from again. Looks like a great get away!

Brittany said...

Looks like fun!!! :)

The bathroom looks a little scary... but other than that, looks like a great time! :)

(I love those rain boots!!!)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Looks like fun! That outhouse beats the "bano" we used in Nicaragua...think a hole in the ground with a make shift seat!!!

Love the boots!

Stephanie said...

Oh I love the boots so much!!

I dunno...that bathroom looks scary to me.

Anonymous said...

Looks like Y'all had a blast!! LOVE the pic of all your girls! And what a cool swing out over the water!

Take care,
Katie

Unknown said...

My mother actually lived in a little house in Poland with an outhouse (no running water though) for the first 12 years of her life. Your picture brought back memories of her talking to me about it. :)

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear you and the fam had such a great time! How nice that you guys have a retreat like that...but still, it must make you appreciate the luxuries of home, huh? Such cute pics!

Momisodes said...

LOL! I love that there are pics of outhouses in the outhouse :)

Those boots are adorable! Sounds like it was a great time, and the girls didn't mind the mud- success!

Anonymous said...

oh I am so not into peeing outside... and yes, I know you said it has running water and is actually a nice bathroom.... but if I have to traverse the woods at night, it's peeing outside. lol

jessica said...

those boots would be a perfect spring header!!! :)

Dreams and Designs said...

Oh, that looks like a blast! Would have been even more fun if you had cooked smores in YOUR underwear! LOL

Anonymous said...

That's a great time. And, my son wanted those same giraffe boots from Target. Talked him into the chair and shovel instead. You guys look like you had a good time.

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

OK - so many things - so I LOVED the pink Target boots and tried to push them on Julia when she was spending her birthday $$ there - the sing along Gabriella won instead. :) I LOVE the pic of you with Kathryn in the blue shirts...so cute - and the checkers on the porch??? VERY ON GOLDEN POND-ISH... :) Is Kathryn a lefty? I only ask because it catches my eye now - because my Jules IS... :) They are still so young - who knows...

just jamie said...

I'm actually going to surprise myself and say, that looks pretty fun. But mostly because of the darling shoes to accessorize the mud. :)

Stephanie said...

The girls looked like they were having a blast! (and you too!) Great pics! love th boots..we have some from Target last year! :)

Mr Lady said...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting on the shore like some kinda idiot.

OHmommy said...

I want to be just like you when i grow up.

Kudos for "roughing it" in an outhouse. LOVE the boots!

Laski said...

Oh wow! Fishing lesson, tractor chick, individual pics of the girls (oh, the flowers, the fishing, the bubbles), coloring time. The smiles. The fun. Everyone clearly had a wonderful time. AWESOME. Such great pics!

I suddenly have a desire to fish, roast marshmallows, and make my way in the dark to the outhouse (yikes!).

Thanks for sharing (feel free to post more pics!).

Cynthia said...

OMG...sounds like fun=the toilet;)
Love the pic of the boots!

April said...

Love the boots!
Sounds to me like Kathryn takes after her mother :)

Blog Hoppin',
Balancing Hops

Anonymous said...

That would be me. I do that now! I wake up the hubby to turn on the light in the hallway!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful time! Love the rainboots.

CC said...

Love the boots! And me + outdoor toilet = trouble

Anonymous said...

Amy,
You forgot to tell your readers about "Jason" looking through the window during the night. Your photo's were really great. You have a wonderful, funny, family.

Love you all...GranJanet

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it was fun. I was really worried about the no running water thing. Yikes, I'm still worried okay.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Back to nature, man.

My boys just started fishing last year (well my 6 year old anyway) WITH a hook. When my dad takes both of them, neither gets a hook. It is my 5 year old's turn for a hook this year. THey love actually REELING in something live. I just don't get it, though.

KEEP BELIEVING

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Great pictures, Amy! Your girls are beautiful!

A hint for your next trip. Have you tried the Crayola color surge markers? They are really, really COOL!

Love the cooking smores in a bikini!

JKMN said...

I am so proud of you for embracing the property! Maybe one day, you too will be a nature girl ;-)

Didi said...

You are such a trooper! Outhouse??? That would so be a NO for me! :)

Sassy said...

The girls were watching the slide show and are SO excited to come and see you guys. Yippee.
Love the first shot, Fishing Lesson #1

suchsimplepleasures said...

love the boots. hate the outhouse.
miss you!!
xoxo

LunaNik said...

Love it! That bathroom...OMG...crazy! Banana spiders??? I don't even want to know.

Chris & her Boys said...

Looks like so much fun!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.