She and I walked miles and miles and miles taking in so many sites. We went to Times Square which was INSANE! I have never seen so many people in my life. We went to Rockefeller Center, saw Broadway, 5th Avenue, Park Avenue, all the fancy shops which I managed to stay out of, thankfully. As much as I wanted to go up in the Empire State Building, there was zero visibility so that was a no-go, but the sheer size of that place is impressive.
We went to FAO Schwarz. I rode on the subway and didn't get mugged. I bought lunch off a street vendor and it was yum-o. We spent a long time in Central Park which was just amazing and I HAD to take a carriage ride. And I seriously wanted to run through the park like Princess Giselle and sing That's How You Know but I exercised some restraint.
We drove by Ground Zero. At Battery Park we saw the sculpture from the World Trade Center with an Eternal Flame for the victims of 9/11. That was a moment. We also saw the Statue of Liberty. I wish I could have gotten closer and gone to Ellis Island but there are only so many hours in a day. Oh and I rode in a few NYC cabs and have lived to tell about it though I was quite close to having a heart attack several times.
And when I think about all that I DIDN'T see, it is truly mind blowing!
So the whole reason I took this little jaunt up there was to celebrate my brother's birthday. It was so nice to see him and his family and his friends. His friends that he has known forever, therefore I have known forever. These friends who are all now married and having children of their own. Which is so hard for me to fathom because I just always think of them as the punks that he played Little League with and that I had to drive to school. I am truly amazed and insanely jealous that this group of friends has remained as close as they have for this long, even though they are all spread throughout the country now. I keep in touch with no one from high school. That's probably not a bad thing.
We ate at some great restaurants, we hit up some fun bars where I saw plenty of people in jeans by the way, we got poured on in the Meatpacking District, we were certain that we saw a dead bum in a garbage bag but I saw his foot move, we took the craziest limo ride ever!! Who knew you could hail a limo like a cab and then stuff 12 people in there like a bunch of sardines? We may have had way too many cocktails. It was great fun.
But you know with all the craziness of the weekend and all the fun partying, my favorite thing was just hanging out with family. The day I got to spend with my cousin in the city was awesome. And when all of Mr. T's friends left and I got to just be with them, that was great. I miss these guys so much and playing baseball with his kids in the park was the BEST!! It was so important to me to spend that extra time with them which is why I took a late flight out.
Which just got later and later and later. Being stuck on the runway due to "traffic" for 40 minutes is no fun. Flying through nasty turbulence is no fun. Sitting next to two ladies who talked non-stop for 4 hours and not even in English, is definitely no fun. Having to walk across three terminals to get your luggage which was distributed onto two carousels, not even side by side was not fun.
But the weekend was fun and I am so glad I got away for a bit. And glad to be home, I sure did miss all these brats even the big one!
![]() |
| Make a slideshow - it's easy! |



40 comments:
Wow is right. It looks like you really did it right. Love that slideshow, too. I want to try one.
Glad you had fun! I love love love NYC! It's one of those places you can go a thousand times and never see the same thing twice!
Sounds like a really great trip!! And you've made me miss NYC something awful. I never lived there, only have visited, and each and every time I absolutely love it there and feel like it's home somehow. We have a trip planned to go there in 2010 when the girls will be old enough to really enjoy it. *sigh* That's a long time to wait!
My hubby lived in NYC for 6 years and he still hasn't taken me there to give me the "tour". ACK! I want to go so bad!
Glad you had such a great time. Fab pics!
Great photos! I think your
cousin Elizabeth sure looks like
an older version of your eldest
daughter! I am glad you had a
great time, you need a break
from Mommy status once in awhile!
SO glad you could make it and it was so AWESOME seeing you!!!!
Simply cannot wait 'til this summer when we can do it all again.
WOW! SO FUN! We did London, Paris and Rome each in less than 3 days, so I know how you feel about only so many hours in a day. You have to pick and choose, but just seeing it awesome, too. Just saying I'VE BEEN THERE the next time you see something on the news or a movie, etc.
KEEP BELIEVING
Sounds like a blast! Glad you had fun. Nice pictures.
Frist, you look incredible! Second, I am so jealous--what fun!
What?? No MOMA, no MET, no Guggenheim?
I love the museums.
I went to NYC for the first time last year! It is crazy big and SO MANY PEOPLE! Sounds like you had a blast!
Sounds and looks like you had a blast!! So glad you had such a great time on your trip!! I'm mega-jealous ;) Hopefully I'll make it to NYC someday!! :) Glad you made it back safely!
Everyone is taking vacations except for me!
I'm gonna go yell at my hubby now and demand some sort of get-a-way!
I'm so glad you had a great time away. And, I know what you mean about missing your kiddos.
That's so great!!
And I totally would have wanted to run through park singing That's How You Know if I'd seen it before I went there! Fabulous!
Wow, that sounds like so much fun! I hope you pushed your fashion envelope for a few days- I mean, you were in NYC after all! :)
Glad you had a good time. Love the music you chose for the slideshow--very clever!
Glad you had a great time. I'll see you on your next trip up!
The sculpture for the lobby of the World Trade Center is touching in so many ways.
Ah! This was nothing short of fabulous to read. Loved the photos, loved the post. So jealous, yes I am.
Love this Amy - you look like you were having a BLAST...I can't wait to go myself - only 11 days, but who is counting!?!
Wow a fabulous trip and how nice for you to get away.
Elizabeth looks so much like Ali and Abby. Sounds like you had a great time, but needed a little more time...maybe a UPC girls trip is in the future...hmmmmm.....
Oh man... looks like so much fun. I can't wait for my trip. I love your Enchanted reference. LOL.
Good for you, it's great to get away! Glad you had such a good time:)
Looks like you had a BLAST!!! :)
(Cabs scare me, too!!)
You really like that scene in Enchanted, don't you? *lol*
did you ride in a NYC taxi? crazy! that city makes me feel claustrophobic :) glad you had a great time!
Looks like you had a great trip, Amy! So jealous...I am in need of a getaway!
You sure sound like you had fun! I love the slide show. I couldn't help but jam to the tunes. I need a NYC trip!
BTW, "And when I think about all that I DIDN'T see, it is truly mind blowing!" Ugh. So true. But you saw some of the best!
Wow, do you ever know how to pack a day! lol
Nothing beats getting to hang out with family you love but don't see often. I just did the same myself... but I was out in Long Island, not the city. :)
i'm so jealous! but, i'm so glad that you had such a great time!!!
xoxo
NY is an amazing town. I have not been since right after 9/11 but it def. is one of the most energetic cities on the planet. Sounds like you had a blast!
SHIT...did I miss you being here?? Shit, shit, shit...
=(
I would love to go there sometime, looks like a great trip!
Good for you, Amy! Looks like a wonderful trip. :)
Wow, I really love your blog! I just came across it and it is great. I am new to the blog world and have a new blog called I Overcooked My Family. Love to chat. Can't wait until the next post!
New York is an amazing city...
I'm glad you had such a great time.
I'm so glad you went. I lived in NYC for years and it still amazes me!
I am so glad you had a great time !! The pictures are GREAT.. And you were brave to ride the subway!! hahaha
Post a Comment