Sunday, July 22, 2007

Book Club

A long while ago, when we were still in McKinney, my friend Joni picked The Kite Runner for book club. I had every intention of reading it, but I didn't. And I don't quite remember why. I did go to the meeting but played outside with all the kiddos while the mommas discussed the book. Now, probably 2 years later, I finally read the book. Wow!

I read a lot, all sorts of genres, I just like to read. The Kite Runner has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while now, and everytime I went to the bookcase to pick something, I would always pass it up. I wasn't exactly sure what it was about, just knew it was about a man in Afghanistan, and really that didn't quite peak my interest. But I finally picked it up two days ago and couldn't put it down.

I have rarely had the reaction to a book that I did to this one. I have never stopped so many times, just put a book down and say Oh God. Or catch my breath, or put my fist up to my mouth. Yes I was disturbed by the whole footbinding in Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and it took quite a while to get through those first few chapters of The Lovely Bones, and the whole We Were the Mulvaneys disgusted me on a completely different level. But this book took all of the elements of those others and hit me hard.

I have been a very tolerant person of other cultures. Having an immigrant father you learn to respect people from all parts of the world. I didn't know anything about the people of Afghanistan. And I don't just mean the brutality that they have suffered, but their actual lives and culture. But the brutality and the war, well that's a whole other thing. And learning about it all through a novel was quite interesting.

Another reason this book was good for me was because I actually asked Steven questions. My husband doesn't read much, but he is as close to a Middle East expert as anyone I know. All those countless hours of Fox News and the Military Channel will do that to you I guess. But I loved that I would read stuff and have to ask him questions like:
What's a MiG?
Why did the Russians invade Afghanistan?
What's the difference between a Sunni and a Shi'a?
Are the Jihad and the Taliban the same?
Do you know what they do during halftime of a soccer game?
And he knew. Having him answer questions and explain things to me really helped a lot with reading this book. Of course he was probably sitting there thinking exactly what the hell is she reading, it's a far cry from Arthur and Guinevere.

Anyway, obviously I am touched, bothered, frustrated by this book. It's sad to know that these sorts of things still happen in the world. And I'm not a complete idiot, I do know a little of what goes on in Iraq and Darfur and such. But I choose to live my ignorant suburban life and be irritated by the fact that my daughter can't throw away an empty cereal box. But every so often it's good to have a little perspective and a nice kick in the rear to remind you what's really important.

And can I say that I am TOTALLY kicking myself for not reading this book when I actually could have discussed it with people?? Because I am intrigued about what others thought of it. Were they as sad as I was, have the same reactions, or did they just toss it aside and say well that was okay. So if you read it, I am DYING to know what you thought. And if you haven't, I really think it's a great eye-opening experience as well as a good book with a good story. Thanks Joni, for indirectly making me read this!! Maybe I'll take your advice and finally snuggle up with Life of Pi.

Really though, I gotta go find a happy fluffy book now!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had the same reaction to the Haj years ago.

Sarah said...

Move on to A Thousand Splendid Suns...I liked it better than Kite Runner.

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

Yes, I loved the book too...and can't wait to read the one Sarah mentioned...go see Hairspray...it will lift your spirits...I LOVED it, if you don't believe me...check out my blog...haha!

Narci D said...

Hmm, I remember really liking it, and I was surprised that no one else felt very strongly about it! Now, I want to pick it up again! I second the Hairspray idea!

Anonymous said...

LOVED The Kite Runner!! One of the best I have ever read. I warmed my heart up with I Don't Know How She Does It. BTW-Save Hairspray for when you all get here. I want to go with all the girls and your mom.

JKMN said...

That's what is so cool about book club - you will read books that you never would have chosen. And sometime you really like them!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.