Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's times like these when a son would come in handy

We went to the park yesterday to take advantage of the beautiful weather and spent multiple hours playing with friends and soaking up sunshine. It was a fabulous time until...

I don't make it a secret that I don't like bugs. They freak me out! Even the most minuscule of spiders will send me into a major freak out session. So imagine a stink bug, the size of my hand, NO LIE, and imagine this bug landing on a sweet little friend of ours who did a cute little jig, then imagine this bug jumping from him to my Emma's leg.

Emma has a role model, me, so when the gigantic bug landed on her. It. was. not. pretty.

You know that scene in Flashdance where she runs in place to "Maniac"? Just fast forward that a billion times and you might be able to visualize my terrified little girl.

Meanwhile, I'm standing there, while she is freaking out, frozen. Trying to figure out how to save her and not touch that thing because did I mention, it was the size of my hand. My motherly instincts seem to kick in when my children are on the verge of drowning or running out into the street or jumping off roofs. But when gigantic bugs are involved, motherly instincts be damned, I'm fighting some severe fight or flight issues, and flight is wanting to win.

And of course there is no man around to save the day.

So I whipped off my sweater, my lovely, comfy, oversized, yeah it only cost me 7 bucks at Forever 21 but I LOVE it sweater and started beating Emma's leg with it to get the bug off. Mission accomplished. Only now, the thing is wrapped up in my sweater on the ground and there was no way I was picking it up to shake it out.

So we stood there, the three of us, watching. Watching what, I don't know. Waiting for the monster to crawl out on its own, maybe. Making sure it didn't fly straight onto one of us again, most likely. And we watched for quite a while. Until a boy looking to be ten or so rolled up on his bike and asked what we were doing. And when he was informed of the problem, he calmly walked over to my sweater, picked it up, shook it out, and kicked mongo bug out of the way, because you can't squish a stink bug, EWWW.

See I think I could really use one of those. A son, I mean. But then again, I hear cleaning around the toilets isn't all that fun.

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

I tell you..its a toss up which one I would rather..a bug killer or to have to clean up the toilets!
So far, I'm liking having a bug killer around! lol
I am the same way and my 6 yr old just thinks its hysterical!

Anonymous said...

Cleaning toilets is indeed NOT fun. But, eventually, they get big enough to clean those themselves... whereas I am NEVER big enough to take on a spider.

Brittany said...

Boys ROCK with the bugs. ALl I have to do is say "Oh, a bug!!" and Adam will come running with a tissue...or his bare hands... BOYS do rock for that!!! BUT- I can't dress him in cute little outfits... :(

OHmommy said...

No... it is not fun cleaning toilets after boys. LOL!

pb&j in a bowl said...

I can deal with the bugs. And I have a daughter that loves to help me clean. So I'll just stick with a girl.

Dreams and Designs said...

Brave mom, very brave!

Love the "Maniac" imagery!

just giving you heck. Child be damned, I would have run the other way!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

At current juncture, I would rather get a bug or two off, then clean around the toilet!

Glad you survived!

Kimberly said...

Too funny! We have about a billion stink bugs here...but I have never, and hope I never, see one that big!

Dawn said...

You had to bring up toilets and boys, didn't ya? Looks like you've been having fun down there. Happy belated birthday! Can't wait to see pics of last weekend. :)

the mama bird diaries said...

Bugs. Ugh.

And rodents. I don't like those either.

Jenni said...

You are so right about the toilets! It's down the side of the bowl, the back wall, shower surround, tile... I don't get it! I hate bugs too, and my boys are soooooo good at getting them for mommy. So, I clean up their pee. It's a trade off.

Stephanie said...

I would have done the same thing. I couldn't have helped. There was a bee flying around K this summer and instead of helping, I ran off screaming. My sister saved her though. No worries. Yikes!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.