Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Really, it shouldn't be this hard

This morning as I stood in MY bathroom and noticed MY tub filled with bath toys and MY counter tops covered in pink toothpaste and MY cabinets filled with Strawberry Shortcake Bubble Bath and MY hamper full of Dora the Explorer unmentionables and MY hair accessories shoved to the back of the drawer behind hair bows, ribbons and tangle spray and MY makeup drawer overtaken with Hello Kitty nail polish and glitter body gel and the SpongeBob foaming hand wash by MY sink and the pink and purple step stool used to wash hands that I trip over daily, I decided it was high time to take MY bathroom back!

They have a perfectly good bathroom upstairs located right next to their bedrooms. What a novel idea to actually bathe and brush your teeth within feet of the place you are ending up in for the night (in theory). How awesome would it be to not have to run up and down the stairs a bajillion times to grab nightgowns and towels. Why I never thought of this before...

It's a cute bathroom too. Decked out in pink, green and yellow striped shower curtains, matching towels, coordinating soap dish, toothbrush holder and cup. I even have some matching picture frames/wall hooks I could take out of the boxes and utilize. What little princess would not love this bathroom, besides mine?

I stood in my bathroom grabbing things to take upstairs when I came upon the pile of 7 toothbrushes. Yes, that's right, 7. None of them mine. Why two little girls have 7 toothbrushes, I'm not sure, but they do. And me, being the bad mom that I am, did not know what belonged to who. I never do. I send them into the bathroom to brush their teeth knowing that they know which one they've been sticking in their mouth. By the time I walk in to help brush off the remaining "sugar bugs" they've already been brushing for a while. So, me clueless. And I chunked them all. Because I figured, new bathroom, new toothbrushes and new storage bins and new bathrobes... Oh Target, here I come ;-)

I've decided today that there is nothing more frustrating than buying a child's toothbrush. My plan was to go in there and grab one in their favorite color, so even I could know what belongs to who, and be done with it. Sounds easy. Not so much.

See they didn't have any plain green or blue toothbrushes for children. They had toothbrushes that sing Hannah Montana and the Super Mario Brothers theme song. They had toothbrushes that rotate. They had toothbrushes with handles in the shape of the Hulk's head or Barbie's body. They had toothbrushes that light up for a whole minute to help your child know when to stop brushing. But no plain green or blue toothbrushes.

So I decided maybe I'll get ones with their favorite Princesses on them. I found Sleeping Beauty no problem but Snow White was missing in action. Not that it mattered because all the handles are too freaking big to fit in the totally overpriced adorable toothbrush holder purchased at Pottery Barn Kids. The only toothbrushes that would have fit were the Sesame Street ones and there would have been hell to pay had I bought those, because everyone knows that Sesame Street is "so toddler"!

So I left, toothbrushless. Because honestly it would have been easier for me to shop for drill bits. But when I got home, I remembered that they truly are toothbrushless. Which apparently is not a problem, because Kathryn has informed me she likes to use MY toothbrush anyway!

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh girl...I can just imagine you typing this! Just t.y.p.i.n.g away!! I know its not supposed to be funny, but will you still read my blog if I say I was laughing?!?! lol
I know exctly what you mean about the toothbrushes...its insane..and NONE of them fit in the holders!
Hope you find them some soon!! ;)
(and when you say you left toothbrushless, that doesnt mean you left with nothing else..right?!?!..then we would really have to worry about you going to Target and not finding ANYTHING!!)

Stephanie said...

Cannot. Stop. Laughing!

Is this my future? Because right now? We are still using the Elmo toothbrush that is "so toddler". And it fits in the toothbrush holder. Whew!

That's a pretty funny story. It's nice to know mommy's can share toothbrushes with the little ones. Hahahahaha!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I'm laughing, too...because, well, you can't reach me through the computer screen and throw tomatoes at me!!

But really, toothbrush holders are over-rated. They never hold toothbrushes that actually exist.

I was going to buy my daughter a new one, and when I saw that they were $4, I decided the one that she has works pretty well. Plus, she thinks all toothbrushes are hers. So, if you visit, yours is fair game, too!

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

OMG - I can not stop laughing!

Brittany said...

ha ha ha ha. I'm sorry, but I am with the rest of these women...I am laughing. You know, I hate buying tooth brushes for Adam because I SWEAR his mouth is larger than that of a "toddler."

The Daily Stroll said...

Too funny! Jonah has a toothbrush in every bathroom (3) in our house that way I'm always near a bathroom when I remember to brush his teeth as we are running around trying to get ready and I don't have to always run back upstairs to his bathroom. But anytime we are in our bathroom he always grabs Josh's toothbrush and you know, you pick your battles. Just don't tell Josh! Shhh! ;)

MarĂ­a said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katie Ryan said...

Ok. I also "share" my bathroom with my little one. Maybe I'll go ask her which toothbrush she uses!

Ed (zoesdad) said...

Aw man! Now I gotta go check my toothbrush.

MotherOfChaos said...

OMG... I have been reading you for a couple of months now and I have to comment on this.

I have completely given up on the special toothbrushes, for the fact that they never, ever fit in the tooth brush holders.
I go to the Dollar Tree store and buy a pack of toothbrushes for the kids. They come in all sorts of colors that way the kids will have their pick. Then I also have extras hanging around for those "lost" toothbrushes. Or Mommy I cleaned the toilet with the toothbrush situation!

krissy said...

Boundries suck around here too. Nothing is sacred for me.....

I have a challenge going on....if you are interested go to my blog to play!

Andrea said...

You should really write books, I was so devastated when I thought you were taking a hiatus...I get such a kick out of reading your blog!! Miss your humor and sarcasm girl!!!! I want to see a pic of that bathroom too!!!!

OHmommy said...

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

Is this what I have to look forward to? I am laughing out loud!!!!

Narci D said...

That bathroom is so stinking cute--you're right. . .it's high time they use it! :)

BTW, The boys have a perfectly adorable bathroom as well. ..that never gets used. ;)

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.