Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pyromania must run in the blood

Conversation a few weeks ago in the car:

Mom, how come when it was the New Year on a Tuesday (how did she remember the day of the week) you didn't let me play with a green smoke bomb?

Well this is random. What are you talking about? What green smoke bomb?

You know, all the other kids were playing with smoke bombs and I really, really wanted to light one and you wouldn't let me do it, why?

Umm, I don't know, maybe because it was a firework!

But the other kids got to do it.

And your point? Sorry sister, I'm not exactly prepared to let you start messing around with pyrotechnics. Not to mention, how did they light them exactly?

With fire!

And you think I'm going to let you play with fire?

Geez, Mom, I'm almost 7!


Which let me tell you, was not a good argument. Because her dad is way older than 7, but get that man around fireworks and you would think he was a kid again. I mean I won't talk about the time he and my brother launched the tubes across the bayou to a neighboring cul-de-sac and angled them just so the fireworks would burst directly over the neighbors' heads. I won't talk about how he lit multiple rolls of Black Cats and threw them down the gutter to see how loud of a noise they could make. I won't talk about the time he lit an M60 and placed it directly under his friend's behind who at the time was kneeling and for years had been telling us about his bad knees, but seeing him jump, you'd think he was lying. Yeah, don't ever think I 'm sad I don't have a son.

I forced the man to take a few years off, distributed fliers to the local fireworks stands and warned them not to sell to him. But somehow he slipped through this year. And bought a few sparklers and smoke bombs to play with. Luckily I caught him before he made any major kaboom purchases.


I guess this year, literally, he passed the torch:


Emma was in hog heaven when Daddy let her light the smoke bombs and play with sparklers bigger than her.

At least this one has the good sense to stay back:


Or not:

Sure I'm two weeks late but I hope everyone had a great 4th! I know we did. I got to show off my new bitchin' color and cut.

And our street won the float contest, AGAIN, because we're awesome like that. But you know, it must get so tiring after a while to be so fab and have to throw beads and candy to the little people.



It's hard work, being an all-American cutie!

12 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I'm a fan of the fire, too, so I can relate...but it terrifies me that my daughter will want to do fireworks one day, too! Yikes!

Ed (zoesdad) said...

Geez mom, I'm almost seven!...

Where have I heard that before? Hmmm--

Stephanie said...

Oh I love fire too! I don't blame her. Or you - because no way can my daughter play with fireworks!

Love the hair!

Kat said...

Oooo!!! Gorgeous hair! You look great!

There is just something about fireworks. It brings out the kid (and sometimes the stupid) in everyone. ;)

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

Funny that my hair is reddish, too now. And, firework love is such a man thing. My dad is infamous for lighting himself on fire with them.

Momisodes said...

Oh man, I dread the day my kid asks to light things with fire :(

Those pics are fab, and SO IS YOUR HAIR!!!!

Nissa said...

Great Pics, Amy. Love the awesomely hot new 'do! :)

I never got the whole fireworks thing. Maybe I'm too much of a girly girl, but give me some sparklers and I'm quite content. *shrug*

Cynthia said...

Loving the color and cut!

Brittany said...

Great color and cut! I love it!! :)

I want to play with smoke bombs, too, mom!!!

jessica said...

love those photos amy! i remember sneaking into the garage to light my "snakes" - i may have been seven! ha ha.

Rhea said...

Your street had a float contest? No way, how fun! awesome!

Boys are seriously pyromaniacs. I know, trust me.

Anonymous said...

Fire and me are not friends.. but I am loving the sleeping picture.. so adorable!!!!!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.