Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lesson Learned

Next year, I won't do this to myself. Next year, they can be content with swimming and running through the sprinklers. Next year, I'll stock up on Popsicles. Next year, we'll draw with chalk and blow bubbles. Next year, I'll lounge around and read trashy novels while they do all those things.

I'll say it again, this summer is kicking my ASS! The girls are signed up in one sort of activity or another. We are on the go, EVERYDAY! I thought since we weren't taking any trips this summer it was crucial to keep them occupied close to home, so that they wouldn't get bored. I didn't know that I was going to run myself ragged in the process.

And in the moments that we do actually have downtime, well what's downtime? It's nonexistent, that's what it is. Because if they are not being entertained at VBS, piano, dance, art, princess, horse, gymnastics or cooking camp, it's apparently up to me to entertain them. So I do. I paint, I jump, I play the Wii, I read stories, I dance, I feed, I TIRED! And cranky.

And if I am able to convince them to have a quiet time, it doesn't last long because the movie and popcorn get set up in the playroom, which is directly above my room, which means I can hear every footstep, which means a nap is impossible, which leads to thoughts of finding the architect and punching him. I really miss when they used to nap :-(

The big girls are gone, have been gone for too long. And once again I realize how much I miss them and how much the little ones miss them. And how much I depend on them to maintain my sanity. Because if they were around I would be off the hook for most of the above listed activities.

I think the little ones are sick of me. I might be a wee bit sick of them. We're like a bunch of old biddies snapping at each other all the time. It's no wonder they are so excited when Daddy gets home from work.

It's been a nonstop summer of them, them, them. And I'm in desperate need of me, me, me. Seriously, I have a gift certificate for a much needed massage that their schedules won't allow me to use. I need to be around some people taller than 4 feet. I need to have a meal where I'm not cutting someone's meat. I need to have a conversation about something other than Dora or sea animals. I need to stop subconsciously dressing myself in the same color as the girls, especially after the man at Barnes and Noble thought we were so cute! I need to fix my hair, put on some lip gloss. I need to go see a rated R movie, or crap even PG-13.

I love my girls. My kids are my life, my life is my kids. But sometimes I need my life to be MY life.

And so tonight I'm heading out to dinner with the ladies. And I don't care how tired I am, I'm going. And I'm going to eat, drink and be merry.

And tomorrow hopefully, I'll be a wee bit rejuvenated for our jam packed day. I know, I signed up for it. But damn it, NEXT YEAR...

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go be merry and have some drinks.. and wear a killer pair of jeans with some sexy shoes..

It really does recharge the battery!!!

Have a GREAT TIME.

The Daily Stroll said...

I know it's tiring and exhausting but be so glad that you are able to "play" with them this summer. I'm sitting here staring at my computer screen waiting for yet another conference call to start, daydreaming about being at the pool or park with Jonah! But I agree you need "your" time too! So, enjoy your evening with the girls! You definitely deserve it!! :) You really need my "overworked mother" t-shirt!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Have a great time with the ladies! You definitely deserve it!

And, summer will be over, soon, right?

In the mean time, enjoy a nice glass of wine and some girl time!

Unknown said...

How funny! I'm saying the opposite. I didn't enroll my kids in ANYTHING this summer thinking we'd take it easy, relax, all that.

Now I WISH I had a summer camp to send them to for just a little while because they're driving me MAD!

Next summer they'll have at least a few weeks of camp... for my sanity.

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

Can you believe school doesn't start for us until AFTER Labor Day? I'm about to open a can of whoop ass on myself just to get knocked out. I read you loud & clear - and you have it times four!

Stephanie said...

This? Sounds exhausting! I do not know how you do it all day for the summer months. Wow. Kudos to you!

Enjoy ladies night. Hopefully we will have our own soon next month!

Ed (zoesdad) said...

Can you tell me what it's like to eat a meal where your don't have to cut someone else's meat? I've heard of those and they sound fun.

Rachel said...

Hey, we're heading home sometime tomorrow. Want to meet up if we can on the road somewhere????

Email me.

Narci D said...

I'm lucky--I've had a reason to do nothing this summer--it's been nice, but I'm ready for the busyiness again!

MarĂ­a said...

Have fun! Be good!

Anonymous said...

just don't show up in a winnie the pooh tshirt-get some sexy shoes and fix your hair....I promise it is therapeutic. As for next summer, hopefully we will work a family vacay back in so the summer of crazy will have new meaning.

Outnumbered2to1 said...

Can I have an AMEN? I finally hit a wall and I'm thinking, you need to go to school so I'm not talked to all flippin' day.

Rhea said...

I didn't sign my kids up for any camps this summer. Or activities. We've been taking trips, swimming daily, and playing a lot at home...and I'm exhuasted!!

Don Mills Diva said...

I felt tired just reading this. Do force yourself to make it out tonight - girls nights are good for the soul.

Anonymous said...

you can come out with me and my friend tonight...
i know how you feel!! you know that i know how you feel!!! too many kids against one mommy and one car!
xoxo

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I also have a dusty unused gift cert for a massage....

However, we did not do activities this summer and it has been better. The boys are playing with friends and learning how to entertain themselves better.

KEEP BELIEVING

April said...

I hope the night out helped. I've said it before, I'll say it again. I SUCKED as a SAHM, and could never do what you do!

Katie said...

So glad you got to get out with the "big girls" ;)

OHmommy said...

Yay for your night out.

Yay for school starting in one month,

Yay for.... school. Imagine home schooling.

Caffeine Court said...

Ah yes...summer does have it's highs and lows. I love the time I spend with the girls, but I do go stir crazy when I don't get my alone time, adult time or tennis time!!!

Hang in there! (Oh and your girls really are adorable.)

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.