Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The jig is up

For almost 3 years we have successfully pulled it off. Sure there have been near misses a few times, but quick reflexes and thinking on my part had always diffused the situation. That and making my poor Krazy K think she was just plain crazy. Telling your sweet little one that she is just off her rocker and seeing things is her guaranteed ticket to therapy in later years.

So last night when we heard," Why do I have TWO?" we knew we had been found out. And to see the beaming grin on her face as if she had just won the lottery (in her eyes she had) I just couldn't resort to my scheming ways.

Finally Bear and SpareBear are together for good:



Oh yes, for 3 years one has stood in while the other was either missing or getting a bath. I've spent no less than 457 hours of my life looking for one or another of these guys. SpareBear has always been in the secret hiding spot to save my ass at bedtime if need be. Much to Kathryn's surprise. Because the majority of the time her Bear is missing is because she has hidden it to avoid going to bed. Which leads to hours of searching so she doesn't locate it the next morning and figure out my devious plan.

But last week, she took Bear into a friend's house and left it there. Bedtime rolled around, phone calls were made and Bear was located, but not for the night. So SpareBear swooped in to save the day and all was good. Until... Two nights ago SpareBear went missing and there was nothing I could do. None of the other of her thousand stuffed animals would do. Bedtime was H E L L! I searched high and low forever and could not find the damn thing and I was plum exhausted. Yesterday we went to our friend's house to pick up Bear, at which point I danced around and said,"Oh my goodness, how did he get all the way over here? He must have wanted a visit!" It was an Academy Award worthy performance.

She was happy, balance was restored. And when she got home and unrolled the blanket that was shoved behind the cushion on the sofa and found SpareBear, it was all over.

Over now because, she'll be sure to misplace both of them. And Build a Bear has discontinued that model and I'm totally screwed for a backup plan now.

22 comments:

Stephanie said...

I had 4 backup "blankys"!!! After I realized my son LOVED them and COULD NOT live without them, I knew I was in for a run! I washed them always the same time, so they would all "feel" the same. He ended up noticing that the tag had different letters (aka font..lol) That blew my cover, but hey..I give us kudos for being so dang smart!!
P.S. We have that same Build A Bear!!

Narci D said...

As smart as K is, I'm surprised she didn't figure it out sooner! :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That's a great idea! We just have to do that with pacis! Now, she only wants the purple ones....ugh!

WTG for it working for so long!

Missy said...

I never got around to buying a spare "Boo" for my daughter, and amazingly we have only had 1 or 2 nights that we couldn't find him, although I too have spent hundreds of hours looking for him, or making sure that he was done with his "bath" by bedtime. An extra one would have been much easier!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

We had the backup for a while, til the backup was left at the airport once. Wasn't ready to brave TSA and my "unattended item" strip search for the spare. Plus, I didn't know which airport or maybe even airplane, etc.

KEEP BELIEVING

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

See I'm a moron. I didn't realize you bought two until after the kid came. And, I bought another but not the exact same, so we ended up needing two. And, then I bought a spare set, but those are too "new" for us.

Where were you when I needed to learn this??

suchsimplepleasures said...

hahahahhahahahahhahhahahaha!!! i think this is hilarious!
xoxo

OHmommy said...

We had to write he company that made "blue mousie" for a backup. LOL

Great idea!!!

Stephanie said...

What a fabulous idea! Having a backup. Wow... maybe you can locate SpareBear #3 on ebay? Or write the company like OHMommy said?

Katie Ryan said...

Hey, check my blog. I'm making a post just for you!

Kat said...

That is genius!
I wish I could get a spare for my son's lambie which is falling apart. Who knows what will happen when the day comes he has to go to bed without it. I don't even want to think about it.

Nissa said...

I always thought the extra was just to keep the original from turning into rags. I wish I could do a backup for Melodie's Blankie, but she has expensive tastes. Gramma bought her a cashmere blanket when she was born & she can't have anything else! Unfortunately I wash it in the washing machine & over time it just shrinks & shrinks! I'm a lazy mommy.

ShannanB said...

Lol. The jig is up! I wish we had a spare. My little one loves this toddler pillow that I bought years ago. I have searched high and low for a backup but can't find another one like it. Many a night I've had to drive back to grandma's because we left it.

MarĂ­a said...

I have that bear if you ever need another one.

Momisodes said...

Oh man, so sorry the jig is up! That pic is priceless though :)

We have a spare blanket, but our kiddo knows the difference. Her "blankie" is all shades of gross, and I just can't quite get the backup to look as nasty.

Anonymous said...

Dude, when am I ever gonna be smart enough to have a spare? This post was fabulous!! I'm trying to talk my daughter into exchanging her favorite tiger for a bear just so I can get one to call "Spare Bear"... 'Cause that just rocks. :)

GoteeMan said...

I know what you mean, we had backup "bakeets" (blankets), and I really wish we had gotten a backup "eelie"... a stuffed animal moray eel about 4 feet long, whose eyes got "loved" off...

Great post!

J/

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

You are a genius! I wish I would have thought about that. For years we would do the same thing at night, son would miss place his "bobo" and we would search until we found it,and if not he would make sure no one in the house would sleep! Thank god he is over that. He still has it (he's 11) but it stays in his bed at all times! I don't know if he will ever really give it up....

Anonymous said...

OH man.. I had a back up toy school buses for my son.. and he too found the back up and then started to carry both around.. I feel for you.. I truly do. Because it was a heck of a time when he ended up really losing one.

The Daily Stroll said...

Great idea to have the backup! I'll have to remember that one for sure! Cute picture of K!

Ed (zoesdad) said...

Spare bear. That is fantastic. So sorry you've been exposed. Zane has a spare tiger--he hasn't a clue and will be six in August.

Rhea said...

ROFL I love the spare bear idea. I never did this...but it should be in all the parenting books, in my opinion!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.