At 8:10 I was completely frustrated, irritated, annoyed and just bothered by the fact that the girls had no respect or understanding of the things that I needed to get done. And maybe I was a bit of a drama mama, I mean can you really expect a toddler to understand that it's nice to pee in private, when she always has to have someone at the toilet when she goes? Or a 5 year old to understand that Mommy can't be her personal cruise ship director and plan out all her activities when she has to do things like write a grocery list and fold some clothes?
So after much whining and arguing over what show to watch on tv and who had what toy first , brace yourselves, Mommy turned the tv off, put jackets over jammies, grabbed snacks and juice, threw the girls in the backyard, and locked the door.
Have fun, don't kill each other, and I'll let you in when my stuff is done!
The imagination that sets in when your kids have only each other and a trampoline is amazing! They found a caterpillar and built "Spike" a house. Then they decided to take a ride on the "submarine" chaise lounge over to the trampoline otherwise known as Bikini Bottom. Yes, my girls had decided in their exile to play SpongeBob SquarePants.
Now I know some of you might feel that SpongeBob is the AntiChrist. And I too was once like you. But SpongeBob has become a member of our family. My girls watch that show so much, that the TiVo, all on its own records episodes. SpongeBob is the wake up transition for both mornings and naptime. He is on at the witching hour, otherwise known as Mommy is cooking dinner please get out of the kitchen. Whenever a moment of sanity is needed, SpongeBob is there to save the day!
I can remember visiting my brother's house while his children were sitting contently watching the show. And saying to myself that is the stupidest crap ever and my kids will NEVER waste one second of their precious lives ingesting that nonsense into their brains. Hours, we have ingested hours. And I'm not proud of that fact, but the kids and I are happy and that's what counts.
So instead of taking the time of having the girls out from under my feet to do something productive, I had to eavesdrop on their little game. And this is what I found out:
Emma is SpongeBob. Hyper, annoying do-gooder, master plan maker, caterpillar jellyfish catcher, busy, bouncing off the walls. The similarities are endless.
Kathryn is Patrick. Worships SpongeBob, does whatever SpongeBob says, living in her own world, saying lots of things that don't make sense. Once again, similarities are endless.
And I am... well they are so many choices. I could be Mr.Crabs because he is the boss, or Sandy the cute little daredevil squirrel from Texas, or Mrs. Puff, the driving teacher. But this is what I hear:
Now we need to be really quiet Patrick because we don't want to bother Squidward anymore. He is very grumpy today!!
Yes, I'm Squidward. Annoyed at everything that SpongeBob and Patrick do, highly irritable, just wanting some peace and quiet.

I guess my children do understand me after all!


1 comment:
This is one of your best ones yet!
Post a Comment