Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mixed Feelings

It was a sad, sad day. We stood in a circle and held hands, each of us sharing our favorite memories. Tears were falling. Hugs were given. And hearts were broken.

RIP Squiggles.

She was laid in a paper box made with love by Daddy at the office. And he didn't even care that his co-workers were all giving him grief about it. He found an old sock to use as a pillow and a blanket for Emma's furry friend. We printed off a picture of the girl and her hamster to place with Squiggles so that she would always remember who had loved her best. Emma wrote a note on the box which was so very, very sweet. And while I am a camera-happy momma, I am not a morbid freak so I'll just tell you what it says:

Dear Squiggles, you were a great pet. I wish that you could have lived forever. I'll miss you. Love, Emma

Oh and insert hearts everywhere.

We buried her in the backyard and marked the spot with a cross made out of Popsicle sticks. Friends have come to pay their respects and have brought flowers. I consoled Emma with love, a chocolate milkshake and Fun Dip. And I feel that I need to give her more...

Because while I am very sad for my daughter in the loss of her pet, I'm pretty darn happy to not have to hear that damn wheel go all night long.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh girl..you are too funny!
You did a great job comforting her though!!!
I am just trying to picture this scenario in my mind! lol

Katie said...

You are such a great mom!!

pb&j in a bowl said...

Yeah- I think I'd be sad for my little girl, but doing a happy dance when she's not around.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Sorry to Emma for her loss!

But, yay for a quiet night's sleep!

Dreams and Designs said...

That is sad and all but you gave the girl Fun Dip! I mean for Pete's Sake! What else can a mom do? I'm pretty sure that's the 3rd stage of grieving- eat mass quantities of fun dip!

Unknown said...

Bwahaha....that last line was a major win. RIP Squiggles.

Yumummy said...

It's really funny...

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.