I've been thinking about writing this post for a while now. But it's been a hard one for me. You see, I don't really know what to say since I didn't know Rusty all that long or all that well. But for someone whom I didn't really know, he sure did manage to have a huge impact on our lives.
Rusty was a pastor at our church who suddenly passed away on Easter Sunday. He was full of life, super creative, loved Dr. Pepper and Chick Fil-a, HILARIOUS and incredibly passionate about what he did. And he was loved. Man, was he loved!! His service yesterday was so evident of that. And I learned so much more about a man that I wished I had known while he was still here.
Talking to your children about death is not an easy thing. But it's a necessary thing. And something that we do address unlike some people who shall remain nameless and tell their children that Gil the goldfish had to go to the pet store for a sleepover and they would go and pick him up after school. Although I do really admire that twisted, sick brand of genius ;-)
We sat the girls down and told them that Rusty had died. And they all got quiet, even Kathryn. But then she looked at me and said "He was so funny. Remember the butter?"
Rusty had dressed as a cow for our church's fall festival. The one where I also had dressed as a cow. In fact I walked by him and said, "I can not believe you are wearing the same outfit as me!"
While I had the good sense to hand out candy to the children, Rusty handed out butter. And Kathryn was very concerned. She told her daddy, "I hope that man isn't sad."
And Steven asked "why?"
"Daddy, nobody is gonna eat that butter!"
A few weeks later Steven told Rusty that story. Rusty went to the kitchen, grabbed some butter and he and Kathryn had a snack :-)
Thinking back, there are so many other ways that he really has touched us. When we finally joined the church he was the pastor that walked us all through it. He gave the sermon at Alli's confirmation service and placed her quilt on her shoulders. He goofed off with Abby. And so many more memories that now come rushing back that I don't have time to write a novel. But this one...
I sat on a bench with Kathryn waiting for the rest of the family to get off the Rock 'n Roller Coaster. I checked my voicemail and there was a message that I needed to call and talk to a pastor about Alli missing her confirmation retreat. When I called, I got to talk to Rusty. I told him that Alli couldn't make it because we were in DisneyWorld. To which he replied "well, that's just not fair."
It wasn't until yesterday that I knew how very much he loved DisneyWorld. And one of his closest friends told a story about how he went hours before to secure the perfect spot to see the parade, watch the fireworks and see Tinkerbell fly overhead. And then when that magical moment occurred, he had his video camera ready and you could hear a lady yell "look there's Tinkerbell" and see Rusty's video camera get knocked aside by a hand.
Well I don't know if Rusty ever got that shot. But I do know that on our trip, I went hours before, to secure the perfect spot to see the parade, watch the fireworks and see Tinkerbell fly overhead. And I hope that Rusty has Internet up in heaven and can see this:
Our family is sad. Sad for the Rusty that we did know and sad for the Rusty that we didn't. But truly honored and blessed to have had the time with him that we did.
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Well, I guess it just wouldn't work to tell the kids he went to Heaven to tell all the sweet people up there about the great family that also loved Disney. I am glad you have had the chance to meet someone who impacted you, especially through your church.
WHat a sweet post Amy. I am so sorry to hear about Rusty. I hope the girls understand..talking about death is so hard with kids.
How wonderful that you were able to have the memories with him that you did!
That is so sweet, Amy.
Thank you for sharing this story about such an amazing, inspirational man.
Oh, May I got goosebumps.
I'm glad you all were so blessed to have such an important and magical person in your lives.
And, I know he got to see that video (and now he can see Tink whenever he wants to!)
From one Disney-nut to others, I am goose-bumpy...
WOW! All I can say is.......that was beautifully said!
Well now I'm crying again!!!!! Very nicely written my friend!
Post a Comment