Thursday, April 2, 2009

I don't know why they want her so bad anyway

I was supposed to register Kathryn for kindergarten. I was supposed to go up to the school, all documents in hand, stand there with all those other mothers, some crying, some cheering, and sign up my baby, my last, for kindergarten.

Except...

They need a copy of her birth certificate. Apparently the child, present in flesh and blood, is not good enough. Apparently, neither is my word, even though I can attest to the fact that she was indeed born. I know, I was there. And it hurt like hell.

Which really, it's all good. In untypical fashion I actually called ahead to let the registrar know that I did not have her birth certificate. Apparently the US Postal Department is feeling somewhat sentimental over that envelope and not ready to pass it on yet. And I'll just say that the doctor's office really isn't ready to let go of a copy of her shot record either. Nor is my file cabinet forthcoming with an electric bill.

No. None of these required documents fell easily into my hands so that I could traipse on up to the school and register my baby, my last, for kindergarten. So now I get to go and make a private appointment to sign her up. Since I'm not going to cry, it doesn't matter if a schoolful of mothers see me or not.

I mean, really, I'm not procrastinating about registering my last, my baby, for kindergarten. Because I'm really not going to miss her at all:



Not any of her silly stories. Her crazy faces. Her belly laugh. Her sweet snuggles. Not gonna miss it.

So registering, not putting it off. And definitely not crying.

At least not in public.

10 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Awww....I can't imagine registering my first, let alone my last.

Thank goodness the USPS is holding the birth certificate hostage..because you aren't crying and all!

Stephanie said...

Oh this brings me back to last year!
I cried harder registering him then I did on the first day of school! lol
Best of luck to you!

Katie said...

I CAN'T believe Miss K is going to start KINDERGARTEN!! I would SO be crying!! ;)

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Awww. I am so gonna cry like a baby when my last starts school.

Anonymous said...

jeez.....she's going to KINDERGARTEN. Right down the road from your house? Aside from that, have you forgotten already that they save all days worth of talking to come home and spill it on you from the second they walk in the door until 20 minutes past bedtime?

Rachel said...

AWWWWWW!!!
I'll be doing my first kinder registration this year.

*sigh*

That is one fabulous picture ;-)

Dreams and Designs said...

ohhh!! Hugs to you! I could DEFINITELY not be crying either...

Kat said...

Awww. Boo! Why do they have to grow up???
*sniff, sniff*

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

I feel the exact way about Julia... Here we go! :)

Kim said...

If I wasn't so sick signing up Donnie I would have been crying.. and he is my first.. I cannot imagine when I have to do it for the baby..

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.