Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mother Nature

Sometimes she can be downright mean.

Like that fact that my girls are at home today instead of at school, where they belong. Doesn't she know that summer is just around the corner? That I really only have few precious days to MYSELF left? Apparently not. She decided to send wicked thunderstorms and mass flooding to our area. Witch.

It all started late afternoon. I had promised the girls I would take them to see Earth. As we sat a few doors down from the theater at Buffalo Wild Wings (because I'm all about nutritious dinners) we watched the rain come down. And down. And down. And some crazy lightning and thunder were thrown in the mix. And I turned to Emma and said, "Are you sure you still want to go to swim practice?"

We piled into the truck, conveniently parked by the front door, and drove down to the theater where I, the good mom, pulled up under the awning and let the girls out. Then I had to go and park about a mile (or so it seemed) away. Sitting in the truck, watching the lightning get closer, hearing the thunder get louder, and feeling the rain get harder, there was no option but to make a run for it.

I opened my giant rainbow-striped golf umbrella and in seconds was doing my best Mary Poppins impression. The wind lifted me off the ground, it was pretty dang scary but also made me think, hey maybe I'm not getting so fat after all ;-)


I held on, I don't know why, and cursed prayed, and the umbrella blew inside out. I finally made it in the door, broken umbrella in hand, looking like I had dived into the ocean fully clothed, to find those ingrate offspring of mine literally rolling on the floor laughing at me. I was thisclose to making us leave but I kinda didn't want to endure all that again. And then, as I went to the counter to purchase tickets, the nice, dry manager had the nerve to ask "How are you doing today?" Seriously dude, take a look.

As we sat in the theater and the movie started, I could feel the pneumonia creeping into my bones. I was soaked and shivering and thinking that it better be the best damn movie I have ever seen in my life. And it was good. My girls all really like nature and animals and we get that whole circle of life thing here. I mean when I cook dinner, I don't say we are having steak or pork chops, we address it as cow and pig. Animals die and we're okay with that. Or so I thought...

Not only was I soaked and shivering, I was cuddling two little girls with tears in their eyes, explaining the rules of nature, and wondering why we weren't at the theater that served alcoholic beverages.

When we were leaving the theater, it was like the rain knew I was coming, and actually said, okay I already got you real good, so I'll let up for a bit. And we took advantage of that one minute break amidst hours of nonstop pouring and storms.

Storms that led to multiple children in my bed which caused a crick in my neck and a pain in my back. Storms that led to a 6am phone call that school was cancelled. Storms that led to mass flooding and no Barnes and Noble trip for me today. Storms that are making me be nice and not call the pizza guy even though there is nothing to eat in this house. And storms that apparently one little hamster heart could not handle through the night.




Yes Mother Nature can be mean. Because she also is in charge of hormones. And there's a heartbroken little girl in desperate need of ice cream right now.

I wonder if I can get the pizza guy to make a stop...

1 comment:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

There should totally be a delivery person for ice cream and all other sweets!

I had no idea the weather was so bad there. Maybe I should call and check on my fam!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.