So we went to go rent some tubes from the local river company which was the only game in town, therefore could charge us whatever they wanted, which basically amounted to extortionist amounts. And we read up on the different options. We could take the 9 hour, 7 hour, or 5 hour trip.
Oh now, wait a minute.
The river was low and therefore very slow. I confirmed that 5 hours was indeed the shortest trip and there was just no way that was going to happen. We weren't prepared. I mean we didn't have a cooler stocked with
So I told Emma that tubing was a no go. And she was quite upset. But I told her we would find a spot to just play in the river. And we did, the perfect little spot, complete with highway workers enjoying their picnic lunch and checking us out.
The girls had a blast!! Especially when they found the rope. They spent the majority of the afternoon just swinging away on that thing and jumping into the river. Even Princess got over her fear of non-chlorinated water and had a good time! Kathryn swam like a fish all over the place and was just a joy to watch. I think I only had to tell her a million and one times to stop drinking the river water, ICK!
When it was time to go, I popped open the hatch of the truck and stripped the little ones down and clothed them. Modesty is not in their vocabulary so the fact that we were at a rest stop on the side of the highway didn't bother them in the least. But Alli wanted to change too. And the highway workers were slowly packing up from their lunch. A little too slowly. I threw towels over the windows and stood guard, glaring. And when it seemed they weren't moving on, some smart ass comments along the lines of "a shovel next to a barrel with your name on it" and "our tax dollars at work on their two hour lunch break" might have been said. And they might have moved on then.
Some pics from our nice, fun, FREE day. Well other than the wasted tax dollars.
![]() |
| Make a Smilebox slideshow |



15 comments:
Looks like you made the right choice. We did the Guadalupe when it was low and we were soooo starving and thirsty by the end!
Sounds like a wise decision!
Looks like alot of fun! We are headed to Canyon Lake in a couple of weeks...I hope that we can find a fun place like that on one of the rivers!
Was the water freezing? That's what I remember about most of the WTx rivers, the springs mean they are always cold.
I'm glad you told the leering men off. How inappropriate of them.
What a great time they must have had....
Looks like so much fun. I love all of the pictures, Amy.
We had some good times floating the rive when I was in college...not sure I am ready to do it with the girls. I would love to find a spot to just play in like y'all did!
What you don't want to float down a river for 5 hours?!?! lol
Wise choice! Looks like ya'll had fun!
Oh, tubing in Texas is awesome!! I'm a bad mom for NEVER having done this with my boys. They would love it.
I grew up in Kerrville, lived in Austin forever, and now live north of Dallas. We take summer vacations at a river resort on the Guadalupe in Hunt yearly. I LOVE the Texas Hill Country.
I saw your comment on OhMommy's site Classy Chaos and had to come say hi...then I realized you were in Texas! I love finding other fun Texas gals online.
Nice to meet you!
I want to know who in the world takes a 9 hour tube ride?! And I cannot believe 5 hours was the shortest there was. I would have said no too. I'm glad you found a place to play - with your lovely audience of course!
What an awesome memory for your girls.
My favorite shot is the one of Ali on the rope, gorgeous.
Where is that again? :)
I have always wanted to do that MYSELF! The kids just watched it with me - and immediately needed to do it! :) Jack asked why they never let go of the rope to jump - I informed him they did - you just didn't show that splash! HAHAHA :)
Pictures were awesome! That looked like so much fun!
That's a LONG day! Nice pics!
Post a Comment