Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Let's get this started

Our vacation recap that is.

Saturday night after a long, hot swim meet and a long, hot, noisy car ride, we rolled into Dodge City (aka Bandera) to start our vacation off right. We sauntered into the first watering hole we could find to get some grub. The girls mozied on up to the bar and plopped down on the saddles.


Emma and Alli recreated a moment from years ago:



We were hungry and thirsty and I was in much need of a tall, frosty beer.

Yes, I'll take a Bud Light.

Sorry ma'am, we don't sell alcoholic beverages here.

I'm sorry, you don't sell beer? This is Bandera, right? Cowboy Capital of the World? Are you telling me they're content to drink lemonade? Well you better have some ranch dressing....

Oh no, the vacation was not starting out right.

Sunday we went to the quaint little town of Fredericksburg to take in a "rock show". I was pleasantly surprised with the production, especially the parody about driving and being "attacked" by deer in the Texas Hill Country, they are EVERYWHERE!! The song... Bohemian Rhapsody.

Mama, just killed a doe...

It was HILARIOUS!

Then we took a drive through the Hill Country and came upon the Camp Verde General Store which supported Fort Verde which, once upon a time, was the headquarters for the Great Camel Experiment here in the USA. Seems we imported some humpbacks way back when to use as military transports. The camels were working out just fine and the project was going swimmingly and then this little thing called the Civil War happened and the War Department needed to apply funds elsewhere so the experiment was shut down. I tell you the girls were fascinated by all this historical information. Even the one who had just completed a course in Texas History and had never heard of this. Oh yes, they were so interested that I did not have to bribe them with candy to stand in front of the giant metal camel.


Really, they were so sweet and accommodating (I mean half of them didn't even look at the damn camera) that I just couldn't not purchase this sign:



Now that's crafty!

16 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I've seen signs that also say, "I'm so crafty I make people" but this one is definitely better.

Seriously, though, where is the new Chuy's?

And Fredricksburg...oh the candle factories. Such fond memories!

Anonymous said...

I love the Hill Country. It's so quaint. The sign is perfect.

OHmommy said...

I love those pics back to back. I need to remember to do that more often!

Tell them to stop growing!!!!

Kimberly said...

Ahh- the Texas Hill Country! Can't wait to get down there!
I love the two pictures of Alli and Emma....so sweet!
And the sign, I love it too!

Miss Lisa said...

I like that sign.
Happy it was fun!

just jamie said...

Love the re-creation picture. What a cool thing.

And NO BEER? Wha'?

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

Sounds to me like you guys MIGHT have been able to get a stamp or two on your "National parks and such" passport - did you get those yet? :)

Brittany said...

No alcohol?! AH!

I want that sign. :)

Anonymous said...

I adore that back to back picture.. how precious is that???

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I love the recreation of the older photo.

Is that really true about the camels? What an interesting little factoid.

Ed (zoesdad) said...

The old photo re-creation is a classic. That is pricelss.

And I need one of those signs.

Stephanie said...

I have not been to Fredricksburg in years!! But I always loved the quietness of it all. But seiously? No beer?! What the...??

Love the sign. I have my days... haha!

suchsimplepleasures said...

my friend bought me a little statue of a woman holding a bunch of kids and a sign...that says, i love giving homemade gifts...pick which kid you want!!
where are you...you haven't come to the new place yet....you suck!!
xoxo
melissabrodsky@sbcglobal.net

Katie said...

LOVE that sign!! Hope Y'all had a fun time!

Kat said...

That sign is hilarious! And those saddle stools are the coolest!! But no beer? What the?

Rhea said...

Those saddle bar seats are awesome! I love that picture. I can't believe they don't sell beer though, weird.

Fredricksburg is fun.

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.