Tomorrow morning my husband, his dad and his best friend are embarking on a crazy adventure. At 9am the Texas Water Safari aka "the world's toughest canoe race" will be under way and these 3 guys will be in for one hell of a ride.
They sum it up like this:
"260 miles, 100 hours, June, Texas"
Now doesn't that sound fun??
The fact that they call this a race is very misleading because the point is not to win, it's to finish. It's grueling, it's tough, it's nasty, so why are there female teams? Let me tell you if I'm getting on a boat, it's going to be equipped with a water slide, a spa, and cocktails. If I'm getting muddy, it's because I'm being pampered with a mud facial or a wrap. If I'm only eating beef jerky, power bars and Nutter Butter cookies, it's because it's been proven the diet to lose 15 pounds. And if I'm laying on the ground with the bullfrogs and the bugs, it's not because I'm sleeping, it's because I'm dead. And we won't even talk about the fact that they aren't exactly Port-a-Potties set up along the river.
They can only use what they take on the boat with them. I saw a little of what Steven packed. Aforementioned food, sunblock, Pepcid AC, and hand sanitizer. Because you can be man enough to brave the elements, but must do it with clean hands.
The team captain is allowed to meet them at checkpoints and provide them only with ice and water. Nothing else, no smuggling of food, you can't apply aloe to their sunburn, can't hand them some Motrin. Ice and water only. And guess who is not the team captain! No way, dude am I meeting these guys under a highway bridge in backwards-ass Texas at 3am! That lovely honor goes to GranJanet.
Just some of the many obstacles they will encounter are low water, portages, logjams, crocodiles and sharks. Um, yeah, you read that right. The race ends in the Gulf of Mexico!
Once again, sounds like fun, no?
So please, prayers and well wishes for these crazy guys! It would absolutely suck for them to go out within five minutes for hitting a log. I mean if you're going to go out, at least get attacked by a shark!
I won't be there at the start, Mommy duty calls, but I HOPE to be there at the FINISH!!!
GOOD LUCK GUYS!
Gluten Free Low Carb Chicken “Noodle” Soup
13 years ago


21 comments:
Wow, now that sounds like quite the adventure!
So good to see your humor through reading your blog!! I always loved your sick sense of humor, reminds me of myself my fellow H-town HOMIE!!!
~Sista' from another 'mista
Whoa! That sounds like quite an adventurous undertaking! May the force be with all of them :)
Yes, they definitely need prayers and well wishes! That's a little crazy for "fun!"
C'mon now....it may be as close to the Amazing Race you will ever get!!! I say we do it next year! Think of the awesome tan, how freaking skinny we will be after not eating for days.....it would be so rad!
Yep, not exactly my idea of "fun" either, but I bet my husband would LOVE it. Good luck to them, sounds like an adventure they will probably remember forever! :)
Oh my! Good luck to them!!
I've been on plenty of canoe trips in my day but this may be a bit extreme.
That is nuts! So crazy! I'm sure my hubby would love to do that.
So bizarre.
Good luck to your crazy guys!
Wow....Tell them good luck.
Wow, I have to admit, I've never heard of this kind of thing before. It sounds like quite an adventure.
Too bad someone can't, say, ride alongside them in a motorized boat to take pictures and capture their conversations for WONDERFUL BLOG MATERIAL! Priceless!!
OH. MY. GOD. Are they crazy?! I'll say a prayer. Good luck!
Wow... now that's a serious undertaking. As much as I like to think I'm tough, I'm so with you on the port-a-poties and beef jerky.
I'm wondering how long it will take before this tradition is also a reality tv show.
OMG... what an adventure!!!
I am with you!
How are they doing? Are you going to have pictures of the shark attack?
Wow, I look forward to hearing how it went!
I LOVE that your version of being supportive includes cheerful wishes for a dramatic shark attack -- meant in the best possible way, obviously, I can see that, but still... it's pretty funny!
That is INSANE! Can't wait to hear the after story.
I'm tired just reading about it. Good luck fellows!
holy crap, that sounds adventurous.
Oh my! That is quite the race! Good Luck!!
Post a Comment