Monday, November 10, 2008

They keep making me better

I got a phone call from the nurse letting me know that Emma was having difficulty breathing. The girl has seasonal asthma that always hits at the most inopportune time, like 2 seconds before mom is getting into the shower. So I threw my oh not so pretty bus stop clothes back on, put the hair up in a half-ass ponytail and hightailed it to the school, albuterol in hand.

I raced in and there was a line out the door of perfectly coiffed, dressed and accessorized mommies. All waiting to sign in at the front desk to go shopping with their little darlings at the book fair, which crap I totally forgot to do that with my kid last Thursday. To which I basically said screw this and barreled to the front apologizing and saying that I needed to get to the clinic. Only to hear, "Who does she think she is?"

Really?

Do you not see the breathing apparatus in my hands? Did you not hear me apologizing on the way to the front? Do you really think I would be up at this school looking the way I do, if it was anything other than an emergency?

"I'm sorry, I just have my daughter in the clinic on the verge of an asthma attack, but if you need to get to the book fair to get that copy of Clifford the Big Red Dog, by all means, I'll wait."

Okay, I didn't say it. But I wanted to. I really, really wanted to. And it wasn't too long ago, that I would have been rude and crass and not thought twice about it. And it wasn't like she would recognize me the next time we ran into each other, because by golly, the next time, I'll either be perfectly coiffed, dressed and accessorized or at least have the foresight to throw on a ball cap.

No, I didn't say it. I don't need Emma being ostracized from any Lil Diva birthday parties. Or being the black sheep on the soccer team. Or having to sit by herself at lunch because her mommy is wacko and we all know insanity is hereditary. Because God forbid, anyone out here make a mistake and be HUMAN.

I took the high road, took a deep breath, apologized again and just said I really needed to get to the clinic. Growing up and being fake a responsible kind person sometimes really sucks the fun out of life.

But, she's kinda worth it.


12 comments:

Brittany said...

Way to go, mama. I may have said something I shouldn't have. sigh. People have no compassion, you know?!

Katie Ryan said...

Such a cutie! I hope she's feeling better.

Don Mills Diva said...

I hope she's feeling better.

And also, you were waaay more polite and restrined than I would have been under those circumstances.

Dreams and Designs said...

Glad she was OK! And I never would have said that but I would have gritted my teeth and passively thought it for sure!!! Super tough of me.... I know...

Kat said...

You are a better woman than I. I'm afraid I would have either said something I'd regret or given her the evil stink eye. Or BOTH!
Well done.

Rachel said...

How Rude of that GAFL.

Ugh.

She is totally worth it and utterly precious. Hope she's better momma.

Hugs.

Stephanie said...

Oh the joys of public school and pety moms!
I thought at first you really said that..I would have thought the same thing, but good thinking!
Thanks for reminding me about the book fair...we are supposed to send money tomorrow! ;)

Sassy said...

Um, hi, you are an impostor. My DESIGNER JEAN wearing, Taking NO LIP FROM ANYONE Smart Ass friend has gone missing. Please bring her back.

hehe-

The Daily Stroll said...

Hope Emma is feeling better!!

I would have thought it and said it a thousand times over and over in my head but probably wouldn't have said anything outloud either. All I can say is thank god for the mute button when I'm on conference calls at home because I let the people have it on the other end have it so it's a good thing they can't hear me! But it makes me feel better! :)

Ed (zoesdad) said...

I may have had to rip someone a new one.

Nah, I'd have thought it though just like you. Way to keep your cool.

Anonymous said...

I hope she is feeling better.. and people are just so ugly .. goodness.. so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Totally would've said it, because I don't care about diva moms, and I am a bitch. Cannot wait - only 9 days!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.