Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hooray for 100!

Sad to say, but funding for our awesome little school district is dwindling. We've lost bus service and the cuts they are discussing for next year are just like whoa. But yet they feel that we must institute new methods of teaching math to keep up with the kids in Singapore. No lie...they even had a "seminar" for us parents to "teach" us the process as well. For 2nd grade math. They force all our classes to have the same exact party down to the paper napkins because God forbid one class have blue ones while the other has green. School is changing...and the fun is being sucked out more and more each year.

BUT every year the 100th day rolls around and for kindergartners this is a BIG deal!! I talked with Kat's teacher a few weeks ago and she was bound and determined to keep this fun event. Because you know the 50th day of school activities got nixed. Which was totally fine with me because it's not like I have a poodle school or saddle shoes lying around for my kid to dress up in. That was always way too stessful...

But the 100th day, totally fine with that one! And so went home the letter asking for snack donations so that they may count out 100 M & Ms or 100 pieces of popcorn or goldfish. And also the poster came home for each child to decorate and be displayed around the classroom.

And Kat takes homework seriously.

In fact she is really bummed that she doesn't have homework on a daily basis. I tell her just wait.

Of course, this week just so happens to be one of the busiest weeks I think I have ever had. So the idea of sitting down and gluing 100 items onto her poster wasn't really gelling with my schedule. Not to mention, since she wanted "gems", I was pretty sure there was already a bedazzled 100 laying around somewhere...from two years ago...


I mean, she's forced to wear hand me downs, why can't she benefit from recycled projects?

But she was bound and determined to do it on her own.



And she has the sparkliest 100 in the whole school.


But let's see what she thinks about "borrowing" Alli's essay on Tale of Two Cities in 9 years...

3 comments:

Ed said...

Hey, if you're done with that Zia needs a 100th day project for this coming Monday. That is perfect. Care to share?

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

OMG....my son has to do this project too. We glued 100 pennies on his :)

Stephanie said...

Now that is one shiny 100!!!!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.