Last night I was debating on whether or not to take Krazy K on her class field trip to the Christmas Tree Farm. Debating because the numbers on the forecast were well below 80. And I'm not a fan of coats or hats or gloves. I think I actually own all of those things but seeing how I really only need them once, maybe twice a year, they remain hidden somewhere deep in the pit known as my closet.
Since my dear sweet husband was off today I took the liberty of sleeping in. At 9am my eyes popped wide open. It was at that exact moment we were supposed to be assembling in the classroom to get maps and such and head on our way.
I called Kathryn to my room and let her know that we would not be going to school today. Which should have been totally fine, since every time I drive her to school, she doesn't want to go. So the one day that I give her free rein to hang out with Mom all day, she sticks out that bottom lip and it starts quivering. Dang teachers, why do they have to go and let the kids know they scheduled something fun?
But Kathryn, it's going to be so cold outside.
But I want to go.
But none of your friends are going to be there. (I totally lie to my kids. All the time.)
But I want to go.
But wouldn't you rather stay home and help Dad put lights in the yard?
You said it was going to be cold outside.
Hmm, she got me there.
But I really, really want to go.
Guilt set in, we were dressed, threw some snacks in a bag and we were out the door in ten minutes. Luckily everyone's noses were running so no one could smell the fact that I did not shower. Got there, hay ride, playground, Mom, ALL my friends are here, swinging some more, checking out trees, train ride, snack lunch. And since I was the only unprepared mom with neither hat or gloves for my child (what do you expect in 10 minutes) it was all riddled with MOM I AM SO COLD, CAN WE GO HOME NOW?
Which we couldn't because the stupid tractor had left us in the middle of a "forest" and I had no idea where our car was and I'm not so good with a compass.
So we both sucked it up and had a
Hey woman, could you take the damn picture, I'm freezing my booty off here!


6 comments:
I can't believe your kid made you go to school. That's just wrong!
Man. I saw this on your updates. I am so impressed with your dedication to the field trip cause. Good mom.
Now that I have been living in NJ for over a year, 51 degrees is nice. The forecast calls for a high of 29 on Monday....
sometimes, the warmth of being right is enough. Sometimes, not so much.
Oh my! I would totally be using the "I told you so" line!
51 degrees is cold?
You need to come to LI..
It was 23 last week with a wind chill making it feel like 5. brrrrrrrr
Post a Comment